Who Are Your Top 5 Players in the Draft?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Although I'm hoping for Turcotte at #5, I think it would be amusing if we drafted Podkolzin and Galiev, then were somehow able to pull over Prohorkin, that would be interesting for old man Kovy to "lead".

Reactions: SlimCharles

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I have no clue anymore. They all seem about equal after Hughes, Kaako, and Byram.

Starting to think Caufield should be top five even.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
What do we need? Goals.

Who's the best goal scorer in the draft?

Caufield.
I’d like to see him away from Hughes but it’s hard to argue with what he has accomplished. Guess the same was said of Debrincat and McDavid.

Turcotte and Krebs seem to have the talent, grit, and character many teams seek.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I’d like to see him away from Hughes but it’s hard to argue with what he has accomplished. Guess the same was said of Debrincat and McDavid.

Turcotte and Krebs seem to have the talent, grit, and character many teams seek.
How has Wahlstrom looked since being separated from Hughes? He was a better prospect than Caufield too. Strongly agree with your last comment. Not top 5 rather 10 and may still change. Right now for LA I'd want them to go the following tiers/order with the 2nd group being subjective based upon desire:

Hughes / Kakko (Top tier franchise caliber talents)

Byram / Podkolzin / Dach (potential to be the best players in the draft at their respective positions with sky high potential)
Turcotte / Krebs / Zegras (First two are the type of players one simply wins with. Culture changers and creators)

Caufield / Cozens / Boldy (All solid and potential to be top line talents, but would be disappointed if picked at #5)

Reactions: LAKings88

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
How has Wahlstrom looked since being separated from Hughes? He was a better prospect than Caufield too. Strongly agree with your last comment. Not top 5 rather 10 and may still change. Right now for LA I'd want them to go the following tiers/order with the 2nd group being subjective based upon desire:

Hughes / Kakko (Top tier franchise caliber talents)

Byram / Podkolzin / Dach (potential to be the best players in the draft at their respective positions with sky high potential)
Turcotte / Krebs / Zegras (First two are the type of players one simply wins with. Culture changers and creators)

Caufield / Cozens / Boldy (All solid and potential to be top line talents, but would be disappointed if picked at #5)

Thoughts on Byram?

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Thoughts on Byram?
Many pundits have said it and agree he'd likely go after Dahlin last draft or be equivalent to Hughes come defenders. Byram has actually frequently been compared to Doughty. Don't think his potential is as high, but do think he will be a top tier #2 or good not Norris #1 eventually for whatever team gets him. Would be the safest and easiest pick if there at #5. I think my favorite thing about Byram is like Doughty there are few if any weaknesses to his game. Has a great IQ yet not Doughty level (few have that). Do think Byram will make a better PP QB while not being as dominant of a shut-down guy.

Reactions: LAKings88

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
I posted this before, but I still wonder if we have this expendable talent and assets to grab another top 8 pick? Who and what could those assets or packages be to teams with top 10 picks? And who’d be likely to need or for that matter, be able to afford what we have to trade? I’d be willing to take a moderate cap dump back with 1-2 years left for a quicker rebuild but not if we’re giving up considerable assets like DD or the Kopi.
At this point I see us as a lame ship that should be considering all vets and picks outside of the our 1st round picks as expendable assets to move us up into the top 10. This might seem to be scorched earth policy and I do acknowledge we don’t know how the team with the new coach might pan out. But there are 10 studs In this draft and we’re already getting 1. But my gut is telling me this is the draft that could be the foundation of this team in the future. I never get obsessive over hoarding #1 picks but this draft strikes me as a draft where the top 10 are really worth going all in. Am I being delusional here?

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
The only way I can see them getting back into the Top 10 is if the Leafs pick winds up 20-21 and they acquire additional 2nd & 3rd rounders (via Martinez, Lewis, Toffoli, Kovalchuk etc) and maybe they do a 3 for 1 (#21, #33 and #64 for #10-12) if they want to get up and take a defenseman like York, Soderstrom or Harley. This would obviously be more palatable if they acquired additional picks for the aforementioned players.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
The only way I can see them getting back into the Top 10 is if the Leafs pick winds up 20-21 and they acquire additional 2nd & 3rd rounders (via Martinez, Lewis, Toffoli, Kovalchuk etc) and maybe they do a 3 for 1 (#21, #33 and #64 for #10-12) if they want to get up and take a defenseman like York, Soderstrom or Harley. This would obviously be more palatable if they acquired additional picks for the aforementioned players.

TBH, I'd rather just those picks. Unless there's some magical scenario where one Turcotte or Dach or Pod is still available at number 8 or number 9..... Yeah, I would not trade 3 picks for a defenseman. But a really good forward who will all but guarantee an improvement in our offense? Yeah, that's the only scenario......

Reactions: Mats26

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At this point, assuming Hughes/Kakko are gone,

Turcotte
Byram
Dach
Caulfield
Cozens

I know that seems a little hot-takey but I truly feel Caulfield is a 40-goal guy.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
This is how I think the first four picks will go as well.

Logic tells me this as well, but I find it hard that a team like the Avs would pass on secondary scoring which they desperately need ..
Also, dont count out Podzolkin to either team.. I think the first 3 are set, its the after thats hazy..
Really wanted Turcotte, even over Byram but its looking like we wont get either..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad