Who are your top 3 Norris Trophy finalists

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Jones has been amazing for the Jackets this season. By far the most minutes, plays in all situations, 16 goals and top 10 in defenseman scoring. Great mobility and skill, and he truly takes advantage of that by playing such an active game. Constantly pinching and jumping into the play deep in the offensive zone. Great shot, and basically all of Jackets' PP-offense runs through him.

If there was a stat about breaking up plays in the neutral zone, I wouldn't be shocked if Jones ranked at the very top. He gives the opposition zero breathing room whey they try to break out, relentlessly on their skin breaking up plays and allowing the Jackets go other way (leads the team in defenseman corsi). He's got that NBA like condor-wingspan, remarkable reach and zone of coverage in the defensive zone. Active stick that sometimes comes out of nowhere to take away a sure goal from the opposition. A true #1 defenseman in both ends of the rink, just a horse.

Where to rank him though? That's tough to say. Frankly I haven't seen the same kind of separation this season from anyone that you saw last season. In this kind of years these rankings and awards are so narrative/reputation based. Playing in Columbus, Jones is not the front runner there, but I could honestly see him getting 1st place votes from someone who spends time watching him play (because there's no obvious winner or top 2/3 this year).

Thank you!

Re: the boldfaced there kinda is, but it's those proprietary stats that only guys like Berkshire and Mike Kelly get access to. They tend to stick to either 'their' guys or the popular choices, but if someone was crushing it in a particular metric relative to the competition, I can't imagine they'd leave that guy out. Though I'm with you, I'd love to see where Jones ranks there, he did stand out when LA met CBJ this year.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Jones has to be in the conversation. He's been incredible for the BJ. I actually thought Hedman, despite the numbers, did not have a fantastic year. Now that I get to watch him in person, I get the complaints that his game is soft. He is supremely talented, but for a huge body like that he really doesn't play a physical game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Jones, Carlson, Hedman.

I love Jones and he has the worst team/biggest impact/least pp points and hes a rock defensively.

I have a hard time not giving it to Carlson, his production is great and hes no 4th forward.

Burns would probably get it if it wasnt for his 3% shooting. 300 plus shot on a Dman is incredibly rare, hes basically the Sharks offense. 100 more shots than Pavs. Thats crazy.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
We should just give it to the defenseman that has the greatest perfentage of defensive zone starts.

Like +-, I wish they’d stop tracking zone starts. Next to meaningless.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
We should just give it to the defenseman that has the greatest perfentage of defensive zone starts.

Like +-, I wish they’d stop tracking zone starts. Next to meaningless.

I disagree it's a valuable stat just as plus minus is if used correctly. I wonder if there are stats tracking points if a team scores on that shift relative to where the faceoff took place.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Its gonna be Doughty, Hedman and Klingberg. You cannot ignore Klingberg's leading the NHL in points by D men for 97% of the season. His defense was not poor, below average or crappy regardless of what some people here say.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Its gonna be Doughty, Hedman and Klingberg. You cannot ignore Klingberg's leading the NHL in points by D men for 97% of the season. His defense was not poor, below average or crappy regardless of what some people here say.

What is your argument for him over Carlson who did end up leading all d-men in scoring?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hedman, Doughty and Pietrangelo. I think they all had pretty even years, but I expect Hedman to win.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Why is Gostisbehere not being included in anyone's lists? 4th in points while playing 4 less games than the rest of the top 4 (only 3 off the leader) and ~4 minutes less than anyone else in the top 5 and +10, playing agianst the other teams top line every night.

I don't think he should win, but i'm surprised that he's not even being mentioned as a candidate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad