Who are you hoping for in Round 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
Is there anyone hoping for a match up with the Flyers?? Exorcising demons? We had to get through them in 09.

The Rags are playing good hockey right now, but I don't think that justifies a run-in with the team that makes the Pens lose their minds.

If anything, Pens-Flyers and Bruins-Habs would be one interesting 2nd round...

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The Rangers, without a doubt. I don't think this Pens team can beat the Flyers... and I hate watching us lose to the Flyers.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I want the Pens to win. Rangers are better team than Flyers but we have much better chance against them. I think they are the ideal matchup for us. We wouldn´t be considered a big favorites (if any) but we certainly can beat them. The media pressure wouldn´t be that high as it would be considered 50-50 series by most, but we should really have the edge. Bring on the Rangers!!!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Fire Bylsma before the next round please. I seriously CAN'T take another season of this pretend coach. Let's play NYR though but we get whoever we get. Flyers might want to dominate and win the next 2 so they can troll us again and sweep us laughing all the way to the bank.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Rangers, without a doubt. I don't think this Pens team can beat the Flyers... and I hate watching us lose to the Flyers.

I don't think the Pens beat the Rangers unless they come out with the same purpose and lines as tonight.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
NY. Not because they're easy, but because Philly just knows how to push this team's buttons. Besides, the pens have a superb record against NY the past few years.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Fire Bylsma before the next round please. I seriously CAN'T take another season of this pretend coach. Let's play NYR though but we get whoever we get. Flyers might want to dominate and win the next 2 so they can troll us again and sweep us laughing all the way to the bank.
He underestimated the situation Quite a few times (as did the whole team) but otherwise, I thought that he coached a decent series. Made some nice decisions as well. Please, don´t turn this thread into another Bylsma thread. It´s about PHI/NYR and R2. Enjoy.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He underestimated the situation Quite a few times (as did the whole team) but otherwise, I thought that he coached a decent series. Made some nice decisions as well. Please, don´t turn this thread into another Bylsma thread. It´s about PHI/NYR and R2. Enjoy.

Then it's about Bylsma.

The Rangers are the better team, but I think the consensus will be that we want to face them, in great part because we don't trust Bylsma coaching or having this team ready to play against Philly. There's a somewhat better chance against the Rangers, which neutralizes the slight talent and good goaltending advantages the Rangers hold.

Sorry, I don't think you can divorce the two.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I want to play the Rangers. Though playing the Flyers would be a more exciting series :cry:.

I bet the Flyers are getting themselves amped up knowing they can now face the Pens.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bring on the Flyers.

Either this team can prove they've learned their lesson and not let the Flyers get inside their heads, or they deserve to lose in an embarrassing fashion.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Rangers. We match up well, and Sid always seems to perform against Lundqvist.

No need to explain why we shouldn't want Philly.

DanFailsma

Mar 31, 2013
PA, USA
Bylsma's Pens have a 1-11 record against Philly or something crazy like that. Maybe that's only home games, I'm not sure. All I know is, 1-11.

Rangers. All the way.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I don't see the Pens beating either team, sadly...

I'm kind of torn on the subject. On one hand, I feel as a franchise either way we should play the Flyers win or lose. If we win, we exorcise demons. If we lose, it's another example of Dan not getting this team past the Flyers and failing and hopefully he'd be gone after that. I really don't want to see Giroux and Fartsmell's ugly faces after they score all over us. Plus, they'd be in the conference finals after that.

The Rangers have been the better team in that series. They're the better overall team. Better defense and goaltending.

Who knows. This has been a wacky ****ing post season already.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I wonder when the next series is going to start, if it starts friday(there are events at consol sat) i think it would be a big advantage for the pens if NYR Flyers series goes 7.

A 7 game series plus a Friday start would mean 3 games in 4 days for the NYR Flyers series winner and most likely game 2 would be Sunday which would mean 4 games in 6 days for that team.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I guess the Rangers, but that's only because they're not the Flyers or Bruins. We haven't played them since they got St. Louis. He seems to have been a sparkplug for them this postseason.

I know the story with Philly, but I'm still not convinced with that team. Small adjustments should shut them down (Crosby-Malkin line might interrupt Philly's textbook strategy with Couturier). Their goaltending is not intimidating. They don't have Lavi. Their depth is worse than NYR's.

A win in game one against Philly could really change the narrative, as if that could happen. I'm in a hurry to feel like the Pens accomplished something. But I also want to see what new twist of ridiculousness awaits us as fans.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see the Pens beating either team, sadly...

I'm kind of torn on the subject. On one hand, I feel as a franchise either way we should play the Flyers win or lose. If we win, we exorcise demons. If we lose, it's another example of Dan not getting this team past the Flyers and failing and hopefully he'd be gone after that. I really don't want to see Giroux and Fartsmell's ugly faces after they score all over us. Plus, they'd be in the conference finals after that.

The Rangers have been the better team in that series. They're the better overall team. Better defense and goaltending.

Who knows. This has been a wacky ****ing post season already.

IF we've got the lines from tonight and IF there's less rolling lines, more reliance on the top lines and IF we keep the revised breakout (winger coming back) and 5 guys in the defensive zone approach from the first 45 minutes tonight, then I'd like our chances against New York and think we've got a legit chance against Philly.

Sadly, that's too many IF's, and Bylsma is the biggest ******* elephant in the room.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Lol, Rags and it isn't even close...

Philly just knows how to bend us over and make us their *****.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I don't really care either way. I just want the Flyers to win game 6 so that eventual winner is beaten up even more.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I guess the Rangers, but that's only because they're not the Flyers or Bruins. We haven't played them since they got St. Louis. He seems to have been a sparkplug for them this postseason.

I know the story with Philly, but I'm still not convinced with that team. Small adjustments should shut them down (Crosby-Malkin line might interrupt Philly's textbook strategy with Couturier). Their goaltending is not intimidating. They don't have Lavi. Their depth is worse than NYR's.

A win in game one against Philly could really change the narrative, as if that could happen. I'm in a hurry to feel like the Pens accomplished something. But I also want to see what new twist of ridiculousness awaits us as fans.
I almost want to face Philly for the entertainment factor, because you know it would be a gongshow of a series. I think I've had enough entertainment for a lifetime after 2012 though.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I almost want to face Philly for the entertainment factor, because you know it would be a gongshow of a series. I think I've had enough entertainment for a lifetime after 2012 though.

I don't think I could handle the series...too much...it was too much in 2012 :help:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If the Pens have to avoid the Flyers, do they really deserve to win?

Sure they do. Match-ups play a bigger part in the playoffs than a lot of people acknowledge. The Rangers are a better team than Philly, we simply match up better against them. Hell, Boston was nearly taken out in the 1st round last year because of Toronto's top-to-bottom speed, even though we're clearly a better team than the Leafs.

I'd love to see us exorcise those Philly demons, but if we can avoid unfavourable match-ups until at least the ECF, all the better for us. We don't have to take the most difficult road possible for success to be legitimate. Montreal lucked out by facing a back-up goalie in the 1st round instead of a Vezina candidate.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sure they do. Match-ups play a bigger part in the playoffs than a lot of people acknowledge. The Rangers are a better team than Philly, we simply match up better against them. Hell, Boston was nearly taken out in the 1st round last year because of Toronto's top-to-bottom speed, even though we're clearly a better team than the Leafs.

I'd love to see us exorcise those Philly demons, but if we can avoid unfavourable match-ups until at least the ECF, all the better for us. We don't have to take the most difficult road possible for success to be legitimate. Montreal lucked out by facing a back-up goalie in the 1st round instead of a Vezina candidate.

I just think this team needs some adversity in order to finally play to their potential. Playing against the Flyers and seeing whether they can keep their cool (as well as seeing if Fleury can stop a beach ball against them) would provide more adversity than facing the Rangers.

Beating the Rangers will come down to more of an on-ice thing. Beating the Flyers will come down to the mental part of the game. I want to see if this team is mentally capable of overcoming adversity.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just think this team needs some adversity in order to finally play to their potential. Playing against the Flyers and seeing whether they can keep their cool (as well as seeing if Fleury can stop a beach ball against them) would provide more adversity than facing the Rangers.

Beating the Rangers will come down to more of an on-ice thing. Beating the Flyers will come down to the mental part of the game. I want to see if this team is mentally capable of overcoming adversity.

This last series was adversity enough for me, haha. I'd prefer a relatively uneventful 2nd round and an ECF berth...where we'd have no shortage of adversity to overcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad