Who are you calling out on the Senators?

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
-Cowen
-Hopefully not getting Tim Peel/Dan O Rourke to give us free losses (wonder what our lifetime record is with those clowns)
-The entire team waking up for the afternoon games..jesus those killed us last year

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
-The entire team waking up for the afternoon games..jesus those killed us last year

We only have 4 official "Day Games" as compared to 11 last year, though the Sens definition of "Day Games" in their press release seems a bit off.
I count 8 games that start at or before 5pm on the schedule this year, vs 17 last year.

That should help a little bit.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
McLean. Only he can put people in a position to succeed. You don't achieve this by playing Phillips on the PP, giving too many minutes to Neil who at this point in his career should sit some games and get 5 minutes max in the other games. It's not the players' fault that they can't hack it anymore.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Bobby Ryan. Gave up a top SEL player and future prospect for him and he hasn't shown consistency. Would love a healthy 82 games and 30 goals.

U mean Silfverberg? The guy that just signed a contract worth a whopping 850k?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
We all know Silfverberg is a good player, and 850k is a steal

He hasn't shown to be much more than a third liner so far in his career, the contract reflects that. He might turn into a second line player, maybe. People fell in love with him around here for some reason, he's the most overrated player to come through the Senators system since Regin.

A youngish third liner, a soso prospect and the 10th overall pick is the package that landed Ryan, and nobody in the world thought that pick would be in the bottom third of the league.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Only thing Sens related i could see calling out at this time would be some of the weak in house fanbase from the last several seasons and perhaps the owner/management for some of the double speak and drama this org has gone through recently.

Personally i feel we can't lose this season, either we suck and get a sweet pick or do decent and perhaps make a run and all the while are able to rub it in virtually every non sens fans faces!

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Maclean. He needs to start using our players better and stop being stubborn.

Agreed. If we want to keep star players they have to feel the love from the coach. I dont want to see Smith, Neil and Greening on the PP.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You guys appreciate the fact that Maclean was putting those people on the PP because the other guys that were supposed to be relied on proved unreliable right?

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Turris....
Lololol he is the sens golden boy. In all honesty I would like to see Wiercoch become a Shattenkirk player this year, with great passes and good positional defense.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Maclean. He needs to start using our players better and stop being stubborn.

Eugene Melnyk.

These two guys.

The poor-little-lobster-farmer-that's-oh-so-ignorant-about-hockey shtick isn't working anymore, Paul. Get the team winning and playing defence or get your ass back to Antigonish.

As for Melnyk, loosen the damned purse strings so the Senators can keep their good players or sell the damned team.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Only thing Sens related i could see calling out at this time would be some of the weak in house fanbase from the last several seasons and perhaps the owner/management for some of the double speak and drama this org has gone through recently.

Personally i feel we can't lose this season, either we suck and get a sweet pick or do decent and perhaps make a run and all the while are able to rub it in virtually every non sens fans faces!

Or we have a mediocre 9th to 12th place finish like we have lately and we stagnate and become mediocre. Murray MUST be told that if the team looks like it is in the race for MacDavid, that free agents will be jettisoned for full tank mode. Being able to replace Spezza within a year's time would be unreal.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
MacArthur - no more PP penalties please
Ryan - you want more minutes, then play with intensity more minutes
Michalek - use your speed, at all times
Stone - pay attention to the coaches about defence, learn learn learn
Greening - earn your paycheck! You're not on the team for your looks
Chiasson - winners don't take shifts off
Smith - agitate, don't pick fights you can't win, piss them off, skate away
Neil - you have a very specific job, remember that you are the agitator, not the agitated
Condra - practice your shot accuracy, please please please
Hoffman - you got to put the puck in the net to stick, hard back checking won't keep your job
Karlsson - you're healed, now remind them who's the best
Cowen - stop pointing and defend, gap control, take the body, hit when it's strategic
Methot - relax and just play your game, don't try to do too much
Ceci - consistency, learn it, live it
Phillips - fewer minutes means better minutes
Wiercioch - listen to the coaches, obey means play
Anderson - confidence, positivity, and relax when the puck is behind the net, just read the play
Lehner - relaxed passion, be calm and focused
MacLean - get your assistants on the same page as you
Murray - you're the man, but be less transparent, especially to the media
Melnyk - step back and let the team run the team, and let them deal with the media, it's called delegating

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Senators Fans...

I think it's fair to say where you hope to see improvements in the upcoming season.

1. Jared Cowen

He didn't have the ideal start to his season last year (holding out) but he's a big d-man and they typically take a little longer to get comfortable anyway. Hopefully he keeps things more simple and play more of a Gryba-style game of pinning guys as opposed to trying to make game-breaking plays.

2. Colin Greening

We've all seen the foot race statistics, why don't we see the blazing speed game after game? Like Nick Foligno, he's only effective if he's forechecking relentlessly and not when he's trying to play a finesse game. If he's still known as the "cyborg" for his physical fitness, let's see that translate to the ice this year. I don't care about scoring goals, I want to see him playing with more puck-pressure and intensity and less coasting down the wing.

3. Erik Karlsson

Put him out on the PK please. It will remind him that the defensive zone is also very important. He has all the tools to be a good PKer, so give him some time out there. If it means cutting down on his ES time, so be it. EK hasn't finished developing so we need to give him opportunities to enhance his play in his own zone. I can understand if he was a bit sheltered due to his injury but hopefully he's moved past that with the off-season of training.

4. JG Pageau

If he gets icetime in the bigs, he's going to have to make it count. Zibanejad made the most of his promotions by having an impact on virtually every shift when he returned to the bigs. If he can make it work with Condra and O'Brien, then I'm expecting the same from Pageau. It might not be fair, but it is what it is. That means balls-out, high-energy shifts.

5. Milan Michalek

I know it's tough because you take a major beating, but you're one of the better guys on the team in front of the net, whether for screening the goalie or tipping pucks. If he doesn't have the same blazing speed anymore, he's going to have to contribute by being our Tomas Holmstrom.

6. Erik Condra

He's a frustrating player (much like Chris Kelly at his worst) because some really great plays can die on the end of his stick. Mainly I'll be looking him to him to hopefully help bring our PK numbers back to respectability. (22nd last year)

7. Chris Neil

Your "3rd liner who can fight" days are over. Play responsible hockey, and make the most of the shifts you do get. Dangles are fun but I think this team doesn't want you doing them. No stupid penalties please. We were last in the NHL by a good margin in Times Shorthanded. We cannot afford that this year.

8. Bobby Ryan

Please please please strengthen your core. We need you for 82 games.

With respect to our goaltending, I do think they got a bit of a raw deal. Everyone likes to point out how bad Toronto's team defence was (30th in the league in shots against), while we were 29th and about 60 shots against short.

We need more hustle from our forwards to pin our opponents in their zone, fewer gaffes from our defence, and more team discipline overall to cut back on the penalties. If we do those things, and our goaltending still struggles, then I'll call them out.

Last edited:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
MacArthur - no more PP penalties please
Ryan - you want more minutes, then play with intensity more minutes
Michalek - use your speed, at all times
Stone - pay attention to the coaches about defence, learn learn learn
Greening - earn your paycheck! You're not on the team for your looks
Chiasson - winners don't take shifts off
Smith - agitate, don't pick fights you can't win, piss them off, skate away
Neil - you have a very specific job, remember that you are the agitator, not the agitated
Condra - practice your shot accuracy, please please please
Hoffman - you got to put the puck in the net to stick, hard back checking won't keep your job
Karlsson - you're healed, now remind them who's the best
Cowen - stop pointing and defend, gap control, take the body, hit when it's strategic
Methot - relax and just play your game, don't try to do too much
Ceci - consistency, learn it, live it
Phillips - fewer minutes means better minutes
Wiercioch - listen to the coaches, obey means play
Anderson - confidence, positivity, and relax when the puck is behind the net, just read the play
Lehner - relaxed passion, be calm and focused
MacLean - get your assistants on the same page as you
Murray - you're the man, but be less transparent, especially to the media
Melnyk - step back and let the team run the team, and let them deal with the media, it's called delegating

I think you forgot a few,

Wow quite a list you got there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad