Who are you blaming more?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Hahah NEVERMIND!

Petry staying! Let's see the term... :)

I think you're being overly critical, and you think I'm being overly optimistic. But I'm not sure where you get to the conclusion that he is half-assing anything? He keeps building through the draft, keeps making trades and continues to build around the core. Where is the half-ass efforts?

And it's certainly not fair to criticize players drafted under Bergevin, at least not yet. They are still young, he's only been GM for three years, and none of them have really had serious time in the NHL yet (especially guys like Thomas, DLR and Ghetto like you pointed out). The Scherbak and McCarron picks are looking promising for now, as are Gregoire, Lehkonen, DLR, and more. I don't think it's fair to criticize the youth just yet. You'd have a point if you wanted to criticize the coaching, though, and Bergevin can take some blame for that.

We have successfully traded for and kept Petry, which was the right move. We traded for Vanek but we let him go, which was exactly the right move if this year was any indication. So you said both trades are losses, but I think they are clear victories. In three years, Bergevin isn't a saint but he certainly hasn't done as much harm as you imply. I am very happy with how he manages the organization.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gainey lost Hainsey, Beauchemin, Streit, Sourray, Komisarek, McDonagh, Higgins, Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay for nothing.

Think how much better the team would be if half of those had been traded for draft picks.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think you're being overly critical, and you think I'm being overly optimistic. But I'm not sure where you get to the conclusion that he is half-assing anything? He keeps building through the draft, keeps making trades and continues to build around the core. Where is the half-ass efforts?

And it's certainly not fair to criticize players drafted under Bergevin, at least not yet. They are still young, he's only been GM for three years, and none of them have really had serious time in the NHL yet (especially guys like Thomas, DLR and Ghetto like you pointed out). The Scherbak and McCarron picks are looking promising for now, as are Gregoire, Lehkonen, DLR, and more. I don't think it's fair to criticize the youth just yet. You'd have a point if you wanted to criticize the coaching, though, and Bergevin can take some blame for that.

We have successfully traded for and kept Petry, which was the right move. We traded for Vanek but we let him go, which was exactly the right move if this year was any indication. So you said both trades are losses, but I think they are clear victories. In three years, Bergevin isn't a saint but he certainly hasn't done as much harm as you imply. I am very happy with how he manages the organization.

He kept Petry, that's literally the FIRST bit of talent he's injected into the organization over the past 4 offseasons (so far).

I'm not overly critical, I just don't want to die before seeing the next Habs victory. Complacency and conservative moves don't work all that well, and we have to endure garbage boring hockey in the meanwhile.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
He kept Petry, that's literally the FIRST bit of talent he's injected into the organization over the past 4 offseasons (so far).

I'm not overly critical, I just don't want to die before seeing the next Habs victory. Complacency and conservative moves don't work all that well, and we have to endure garbage boring hockey in the meanwhile.

Dave Stubbs just mentioned this and I think it's a great point as well. Jeff Petry could have gotten much more on the open market, and would probably have been one of the most attractive players on July 1st. It says a lot about this Habs team that he chose to stay and signed an extremely reasonable deal. We can thank no one but Marc Bergevin for that, wouldn't you agree?

Also, we have made tons of signings during the offseasons. Jeff Petry, Jiri Sekac, Tom Gilbert, Brandon Prust are probably the most notable ones. We literally won the sweepstakes for Jiri Sekac, yet you still maintain we can't attract any talent. Come on, man. If you want to complain about Bergevin not getting more than he has, I think you need to realize that there are 29 other teams in this league.

You must have enough self-awareness to realize you definitely are being a little unreasonable, no?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Dave Stubbs just mentioned this and I think it's a great point as well. Jeff Petry could have gotten much more on the open market, and would probably have been one of the most attractive players on July 1st. It says a lot about this Habs team that he chose to stay and signed an extremely reasonable deal. We can thank no one but Marc Bergevin for that, wouldn't you agree?

Also, we have made tons of signings during the offseasons. Jeff Petry, Jiri Sekac, Tom Gilbert, Brandom Prust are probably the most notable ones. We literally won the sweepstakes for Jiri Sekac, yet you still maintain we can't attract any talent. Come on, man. If you want to complain about Bergevin not getting more than he has, I think you need to realize that there are 29 other teams in this league.

You must have enough self-awareness to realize you definitely are being a little unreasonable, no?
OK, we're going in circles.

I acknowledge that we've signed Prust and Gilbert, and yes he traded for Weise. But these are depth-at-best players, and not TALENT. Good GMs bring in TALENT or nurture TALENT. Top6 players, top3 d-men, that kinda thing. Jeff Petry IS TALENT and the first bit of it he's brought in. Sekac had top6 potential but was dumped for a grinder.

How much more could Jeff Petry have gotten on the market? Six years, 5.5m + NTC is rather on the money. He'd be brutally overpaid at 6.5m.

And I'm not complaining about ATTRACTING talent (like Sekac, Cole, Cammalleri, etc.) that era is over, I'm talking about INJECTING (KEEPING) outside talent - the thing that good organizations do to WIN.

Now tell me about your self-awareness, seriously.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL
"It's a quick puck-moving team with a quick transition. That's something I take pride in doing with my game." - Petry

"The way the players are treated. The way the organization is run. It was a real eye-opener. Everything in Montreal is first-class." - Petry

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

I acknowledge that we've signed Prust and Gilbert, and yes he traded for Weise. But these are depth-at-best players, and not TALENT. Good GMs bring in TALENT or nurture TALENT. Top6 players, top3 d-men, that kinda thing. Jeff Petry IS TALENT and the first bit of it he's brought in. Sekac had top6 potential but was dumped for a grinder.

How much more could Jeff Petry have gotten on the market? Six years, 5.5m + NTC is rather on the money. He'd be brutally overpaid at 6.5m.

And I'm not complaining about ATTRACTING talent (like Sekac, Cole, Cammalleri, etc.) that era is over, I'm talking about INJECTING (KEEPING) outside talent - the thing that good organizations do to WIN.

It's all so clear to me now !!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

You're writing off Vanek though... that was a great move too. Didn't work out long term but it's not like this guy didn't manage to bring us the best UFA out there at a small cost.

Everyone wants this to be black or white... it's not. There's a LOT that I haven't liked from this GM but let's not pretend like he's done nothing to improve this team because it's not true. Therrien on the other hand... THAT one to me is black and white. Terrible coach.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You're writing off Vanek though... that was a great move too. Didn't work out long term but it's not like this guy didn't manage to bring us the best UFA out there at a small cost.

Everyone wants this to be black or white... it's not. There's a LOT that I haven't liked from this GM but let's not pretend like he's done nothing to improve this team because it's not true. Therrien on the other hand... THAT one to me is black and white. Terrible coach.
I was ecstatic with the Vanek trade and would do it every time. But he's getting credit for non-moves and that's unacceptable.

It's the same complacency that spawned "In Bob We Trust". I'm not getting burned again.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
"It's a quick puck-moving team with a quick transition. That's something I take pride in doing with my game." - Petry

"The way the players are treated. The way the organization is run. It was a real eye-opener. Everything in Montreal is first-class." - Petry

Edmonton was a ****** place and almost anywhere would look like heaven. That doesn't mean Petry foolishly didn't test the market like he should. Once the honeymoon is over, Perry will realize his mistake.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bergevin and Therrien are sweet-talkers. Just like Therrien's libelous characterization of Galchenyuk's thoughts sounded oh-so-professional, but the nasty truth leaked out.

That is why we get guys and then lose guys. Silky oration is the cornerstone of a con-man's success.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Edmonton was a ****** place and almost anywhere would look like heaven. That doesn't mean Petry foolishly didn't test the market like he should. Once the honeymoon is over, Perry will realize his mistake.

You mean like the rest of our core players that have signed long-term deals?

Or maybe, just maybe, the players inside the dressing room have a far better understanding of the coach and GM than you do.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Looks like Petry doesn't agree with you about Therrien... I'll take his word over yours, if you don't mind.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006

I think Petry and his manager know a little more than you.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Petry will be a Hab long after the coach has been replaced. Historically, Therrien has outlived his welcome in relatively short order.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Petry will be a Hab long after the coach has been replaced. Historically, Therrien has outlived his welcome in relatively short order.

honestly, I'll be surprised if he finishes the season.

But I blame Cthulhu......that monster ruins everything

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Therrien's never had a buddy-buddy as GM before. Bergevin believes in Therrien. He was incredulous at his presser that anyone would dare question Therrien's body of work. That went far beyond, "I have confidence in our coaching staff," which was all he had to say if he wanted to say nothing meaningful.

Therrien will coach this team the entire 15/16 season. It's sad, it's pathetic, it's damned depressing, but it is what it is.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Petry is the first player that Bergevin add to this team long term. It's a really good news and a good signing IMO. But it's one part of the puzzle.

For me, it was the second most important thing to do this summer....the first one being the combination of Desharnais-Plekanec as a top 2 center must end now. Don't care how he does it, but it must be done.

Nynja*

Petry is the first player that Bergevin add to this team long term.

k99Q0P7U.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad