Who are we saving?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've said it for the couple years we talked about this. All the stockpiling we've done and all the depth we've cultivated prepares us perfectly for this moment (and, you know, contending for a while). We can protect our best, and we'll easily survive whatever solid asset they take. We are also in a position where if we absolutely don't want them to take someone, or do want them to take someone, we can provide assets to allow for that without much issue. I think largely I'd just protect my best and let them do what they want. Even if we end up with "bad asset management" and lose someone like Skjei we paid a hefty price for, it just doesn't matter that much. We'll have gotten our two runs out of him if he's here then.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see Francis wanting to do Carolina any favors. Yeah, if he doesn't see a difference between the various defensemen, then sure, he'd want to add a 2nd round pick, but my bet is he'll pick the best player from Carolina and there won't be much, if any negotiations.
This is why you don't burn bridges unless it's just utterly unavoidable. In business, life, whatever.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is why you don't burn bridges unless it's just utterly unavoidable. In business, life, whatever.

Sometimes, when you fire a guy, burning the bridge is unavoidable.

In the end, this doesn't mean much. Canes have a young team, still a deep prospect pool, lots of picks, and will lose 1 non-core player to the expansion draft. Not a big deal IMO.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Sometimes, when you fire a guy, burning the bridge is unavoidable.

In the end, this doesn't mean much. Canes have a young team, still a deep prospect pool, lots of picks, and will lose 1 non-core player to the expansion draft. Not a big deal IMO.
Sometimes. But how you fire a guy can make things less painful and easier to reconcile down the line.

And like you I am not in the least concerned about the expansion draft. We will keep the core and then it will be what it will be.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sometimes. But how you fire a guy can make things less painful and easier to reconcile down the line.

True, but sometimes there is no way to make it less painful and there is no chance of reconciliation. It is what it is. Egos get involved and it makes it untenable.

No idea how Dundon/Waddell handled or didn't handle it so it's all speculation at this point.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
There's been some talk that is similar to this above, but I also believe that Dundon is not creating a "handshake deal" and/or "do the team a favor" kind of environment to his business. So far, it's been very -- I won't call it cutthroat, but... -- "business-like", and that doesn't lend itself to players doing the team any favors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad