Who are we saving?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Ideally, you ask Staal to waive his NMC, then go 4-4, with Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen and Trocheck as the protected forwards and Slavin, Pesce, a re-signed Hamilton and 1 of Skjei/Bean as the protected D. Even if Staal doesn’t waive, I think this is the best option. You still lose a good player, likely Geekie/Foegele/Fleury/Trocheck or either Bean/Skjei, whoever is left unprotected, but they’re going to lose a good player regardless.

Even better than ideal would be for better be braintrust to sweeten the pot enough for Francis to poach Gardiner, while keeping both Skjei and Bean. That would likely cost a lot though. I almost feel like they’ll figure out a way to protect who needs to be protected, lose a good player and move on.

It could get really convoluted if they don’t end re-signing Hamilton before the expansion draft as Hamilton wouldn’t need to be protected in that scenario since he wouldn’t yet be under contract. If they could work out a handshake agreement there with Hamilton, while extremely risky, they could easily go 7-3, protect more of the forwards they like and still end up protecting one of Skjei/Bean along with Pesce and Slavin.

All kinds of interesting scenarios to think about. Next offseason should be really interesting. I’m not too worried about it as the braintrust has done a pretty good job at roster construction so far. They’ll lose a good player, but they’ll still
be fine.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why Trocheck though? I think Necas and Geekie has the potential to make him expendable.
Necas is exempt so it’s not an either or. As far as “why Trocheck”, it depends on what Trocheck we get. If his injury was holding him back and we get a 25-30g, 55+ point Trocheck, it’s a stretch to say Geekie makes that expendable.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Why Trocheck though? I think Necas and Geekie has the potential to make him expendable.

If Necas is ready to play C after next season, losing Trocheck’s cap hit would certainly help in the effort to re-sign Svechnikov and Hamilton. However, if he returns to form as a 50-60pt 2C, he would be likely too valuable to lose for nothing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Svech
Aho
Staal
TT

Re signed Hamilton
Slavin
Pesce
Skjei

Mrazek or whoever is playing goal then.

I don’t think they’ll roll the dice waiting on signing Hamilton nor do I think Staal will waive.

I’m hoping they trade Staal in advance somewhere he approves, but I’m basing this obviously on what we have now.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Svech
Aho
Staal
TT

Re signed Hamilton
Slavin
Pesce
Skjei

Mrazek or whoever is playing goal then.

I don’t think they’ll roll the dice waiting on signing Hamilton nor do I think Staal will waive.

I’m hoping they trade Staal in advance somewhere he approves, but I’m basing this obviously on what we have now.

So in this scenario, we are protecting Skjei over three forwards? Oof!

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think the best case scenario is do a sneaky handshake deal w Dougie so we don’t have to protect him. Then do Slavin, Pesce, Skej and we can protect all the forwards we want. As much as it would suck to lose Fleury or Bean we might be able to trade one ahead of time for assets or convince Ronnie to take someone else for a fee.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
As previously mentioned we need to see how people perform next season to really determine who is protected.

Trocheck may not find his way back and Necas looks ready to take over center.
Skjei may look as much of mistake as Gardiner
Geekie might just have had a flash in the pan start for us and not much else afterwards
Fleury and/or bean may not be with us next season or they don’t have strong seasons
Nino might struggle again
Foegele may look like another 4th line guy who has flashes of 2nd line material but isn’t ever consistent

all those scenarios will make any one of them not a big loss

Or the complete opposite of any or all are possible and we have to make some really hard choices

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think the best case scenario is do a sneaky handshake deal w Dougie so we don’t have to protect him. Then do Slavin, Pesce, Skej and we can protect all the forwards we want. As much as it would suck to lose Fleury or Bean we might be able to trade one ahead of time for assets or convince Ronnie to take someone else for a fee.
This scenario always seems dumb, risky, and unlikely to happen to me (and you're not the only one to suggest it). If you are in agreement to sign him this offseason, sign him. If you want to wait to see how he plays to determine the contract, fine though it has risks. If you don't want him, probably best to move on this offseason.

But both sides haves risks on a handshake deal. If Dougie can actually get the signature on a big contract, he'd be insane not to as another big injury, us losing interest, and he loses out on big money. If we choose not to sign him this offseason being able to, we risk something going sour or just Dougie getting so close to UFA that he wants to take a peak. I suppose anything is possible, but it seems like something neither side would be that eager to do in order some mid level dman.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So in this scenario, we are protecting Skjei over three forwards? Oof!
Well, we can only lose one....and we’re obviously going to lose someone. We gave up a first for Skjei, and his contract makes sense moving forward. We needed a second top four lefty. If he sucks then we chance that we gave up the pick for nothing and expose him. If he’s even just pretty good then keeping your top 4 d makes a lot more sense than any other option. Everyone exposed is replaceable that we could lose, with the toughest one being a healthy Trochek.

I don’t see us pulling off any sneaky stuff with Hamilton. His situation will likely be well documented by the time this happens. I think we’re going to try to re sign him as soon as it’s allowed. If it doesn’t go well then he gets exposed or is traded. I’m guessing he’ll be signed before this all goes down.

Our best option is to make a trade with Francis that dictates who they take. I think keeping the D and the first line is the most important thing. We have a better top 4 than pretty much anyone if we keep that group together, and Pesce settles Skjei. It’s our strength. I wouldn’t chance losing that to keep Trochek, though I bet we can pay Francis to take someone else. He probably wants Bean as of today. Maybe Fluery.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This scenario always seems dumb, risky, and unlikely to happen to me (and you're not the only one to suggest it). If you are in agreement to sign him this offseason, sign him. If you want to wait to see how he plays to determine the contract, fine though it has risks. If you don't want him, probably best to move on this offseason.

But both sides haves risks on a handshake deal. If Dougie can actually get the signature on a big contract, he'd be insane not to as another big injury, us losing interest, and he loses out on big money. If we choose not to sign him this offseason being able to, we risk something going sour or just Dougie getting so close to UFA that he wants to take a peak. I suppose anything is possible, but it seems like something neither side would be that eager to do in order some mid level dman.

Yeah, there won't be a "handshake deal". If the team and Hamilton have not agreed to terms by then though, they clearly won't protect him, even if they are still trying to sign him. Given how negotiations have gone with higher priced guys, that's something I could see happening. I'd rather have him locked up before that though.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, there won't be a "handshake deal". If the team and Hamilton have not agreed to terms by then though, they clearly won't protect him, even if they are still trying to sign him. Given how negotiations have gone with higher priced guys, that's something I could see happening. I'd rather have him locked up before that though.
Sure, it could shake down like that. I just don't see the handshake deal that's always mentioned. Like I said, if they are waiting to see how he plays or just find the right contract, that's perfectly realistic.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Sure, it could shake down like that. I just don't see the handshake deal that's always mentioned. Like I said, if they are waiting to see how he plays or just find the right contract, that's perfectly realistic.

Well I realize it isn’t likely, but I did say that would be BEST CASE SCENARIO, not MOST LIKELY TO HAPPEN.

There’s still a year left on Hamilton’s deal so neither side needs to push for softening anything right away. Obviously the preference is to get Dougie re-signed to a contract that works for both sides but if they can come to an agreement right before the expansion draft I don’t see the biggest problem with saying ‘cool, glad we have this in place. It would be much better for the team if we could make this official in a couple weeks so that way we can surround you with the beat roster possible.’

Obviously there is risk involved but I was just saying if that were to actually happen it would make our roster protection much easier.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I still say we go 7-3 and send Ronnie a 2nd to take whichever dman of our choice instead of taking Bean

This is reasonable, but I don’t think the Canes front office would do it. Paying off Francis seems to go against how Dundon likes to operate. However, that may be the only way to get out from under a troublesome contract, like Gardiner’s or Niederreiter’s, that may cause cap issues with the Hamilton and Svechnikov extensions.

I personally think it’s more likely they end up dealing Bean prior to the expansion draft for picks or exempt prospects, but I’d hope they give him a shot with the big club to see what they have prior to exploring a deal. I’d hate to see him blossom in Seattle into a great D like Shea Theodore did in Vegas after all the time they’ve spent in developing him.

In terms of the expansion draft, I think they protect their best assets regardless, prepare to just suck it up and lose a good player, then move on.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see Francis wanting to do Carolina any favors. Yeah, if he doesn't see a difference between the various defensemen, then sure, he'd want to add a 2nd round pick, but my bet is he'll pick the best player from Carolina and there won't be much, if any negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad