Who are the veterans?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
geez, if Nilsson can't get healthy the only player left on the roster 30 yrs or older is Anisimov.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It doesn't matter who they bring in, they are not Senators. Anderson and Ryan were here for a while but they left in the off season to go home. Alfie, Karlsson, Neil, Fisher, Phillips, Stone etc were all guys who were Sens players and lived here.

This is uncharted waters.

Reactions: bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Veteran presence is important...but i honestly think it's mostly for kids in their rookie year.

Or kids who are special (Crosby, McDavid) who could really use a different perspective from a certain type of vet (Mario to Crosby) about what it means to be The Franchise player/generational guy on the team.

But......I think there are circumstances where the kids can do alright without that vet. Some of our young guys like Chabot have a decent amount of experience. Brady has his dad. We have a few former players in the organization to lean on. And Ottawa as a whole does have a few vets living in the area. It's not ideal by any stretch of the imagination...but might still be workable.

All I can say is....cross your fingers and hope the 2020-21 season is in a fan-free bubble. Zero fan pressure during games and having guys in a bubble 'band of brothers' type scenario have the potential to allow the kids to grow and figure things out a whole lot easier than under regular circumstances.

Reactions: krapsik

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
What about signing Erik Haula to a two year deal he could help replace Pageau?

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Screenshot_20200926-093255.png

Is it possible to finish 38th?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Tierney. He has more NHL games played than Pageau, and Connor Brown is only a dozen games behind. I'm not sure what Bobby Ryan brings that those two can't.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Scorched earth rebuild to the extreme!

Seriously though, I don't think any of the decisions this summer so far are bad in their bubble.

I'm ecstatic that they're finally moving on from Anderson.

We're all just left wondering if they're hockey moves geared towards a better team, or more "Melnyk Money" moves.

Rest of the offseason should be interesting. Covid has given them a hell of an opportunity with the flat cap.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I think what gets lost in all of this is what the expectations for the team should/are going to be next season and in the near future.

This is not a team that should be competing for a playoff spot. Full stop. Not this season. I think there's something to be said about what having veteran guys in the locker room do for younger players coming into the NHL and playing their first games does for them and their early development.

We don't need top-performing NHL veterans because this team is a dumpster right now. But we sure as shit need someone.

Great post, spot on and welcome aboard.

Reactions: MrInvidious

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
What's David Legwand up to these days?

In all seriousness, it's up to Chabot, Tkachuk or some other dark horse (Wolanin? Brown? White?) to emerge as the leaders of this new iteration of the Senators.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
What's David Legwand up to these days?

In all seriousness, it's up to Chabot, Tkachuk or some other dark horse (Wolanin? Brown? White?) to emerge as the leaders of this new iteration of the Senators.

Chabot and Tkachuk will certainly be the on-ice leaders. They’re not off-ice leaders yet. Tkachuk still lives with mom and dad in the summertime.

You need some veterans around to show these guys how to become adults and not give into the temptations presented to 20 year old millionaire athletes.

Becoming a good NHL player requires more than developing on-ice skill. There has been tons of talent squandered because kids went into environments with zero structure.

Reactions: MrInvidious

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
Chabot and Tkachuk will certainly be the on-ice leaders. They’re not off-ice leaders yet. Tkachuk still lives with mom and dad in the summertime.

You need some veterans around to show these guys how to become adults and not give into the temptations presented to 20 year old millionaire athletes.

Becoming a good NHL player requires more than developing on-ice skill. There has been tons of talent squandered because kids went into environments with zero structure.

The bolded sentence right there is incredibly important.

Too many people think you can apply EA NHL GM Mode logic to running teams. "Just load it with all the 20 year olds and they'll play more and develop better". These are kids who are for the first time in their lives, will be handed over a ton of money and thrown into a new city away from home. There are a million things that veterans in the dressing room can do to help develop younger players, whether they themselves are top players or not. They've been there and done that and they expect a level of professionalism in the room that wouldn't be there if you're running Chris Tierney as the most experienced guy available.

I was not overly thrilled about signing Ron Hainsey, the player, as an example. But I knew that getting Ron Hainsey, the near 20 year NHL veteran, would be far more valuable to the team than most fans would care to realize.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We don't need Vets...we have Keith Tkachuk, Jeff Brown and Craig Wolanin providing the leadership for the kids.

As well as Norm Batherson and Dwayne Norris. Might be able to add in Geoff Sanderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad