The Athletic Who are the top NHL prospects under 23 years old? Scott Wheeler ranks top 50

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Note - Top 10 Goalies are tomorrow...

1. Owen Power, LHD, 19 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 1, 2021)

I debated each of the first three names on this list at No. 1, but I just kept coming back to how impressive Power was this season. He blew me away, and I was already higher on him than most. I saw him live four times (once in Ann Arbor with the Wolverines, twice in Edmonton with Team Canada, again in Boston at the Frozen Four, and additionally in practices in Calgary and at skates in Toronto) and he was outstanding in each — for my money, he was the best defenceman in college hockey last year.

There’s not a lot he can’t do these days, and even the areas where he was deficient he has made significant progress. He walks through traffic with such ease for his size (6-foot-6), side-stepping defenders to his backhand and then making plays off of his backhand to teammates as coverage caves in on him. He began activating to join the rush more frequently this year (even sometimes while short-handed). He understands when to sling a quick one-touch pass and when to hang onto it. He’s now attacking off the line with comfort, and control, and intention. He hits seams as soon as they open. He makes a ton of little plays on outlets under pressure, spinning off of forecheckers unlike any defenceman his size that I’ve scouted.

His ability to play off of his heels and the push to his toes, given his size, is remarkable. He’s got this uncanny ability to drag pucks through his feet and pivot in one smooth motion to escape and advance the play. He sees the ice beautifully in possession. He wants to be involved deep into the offensive zone whenever he can. He shapes play on his edges with his footwork and crossovers like a smaller player. He breaks down the play and executes east-to-west at an advanced level. His unique skating ability for his size allows him to cover the sheet quickly, though there are still times when I’d like to see him be more aggressive defending in neutral ice (he does a great job filling and taking space inside the defensive zone on the penalty kill). He does a wonderful job adjusting around the first layer. He consistently reads the play effectively, processing at high speeds when pace ratchets up.

Given the continued advancement of his game offensively, I’m extremely confident he’s going to be a No. 1 in the NHL at this point. And I think between him and Rasmus Dahlin the Sabres will have two of them (it’ll be interesting to see how they make that work, given that they’re both lefties).

9. Matt Savoie, C/RW, 18 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 9, 2022)

Savoie’s game has the potential to thrill as much as any player’s on this list. Inside the offensive zone, he’s strong. He’s got extremely quick side-to-side hands that help him beat defenders one-on-one off of cuts. He’s got an NHL shot (which he can place with pinpoint accuracy from a bad angle and rip by a goalie clean from a distance, but he also loves to change up and slide five-hole). He does an excellent job creating plays to the slot out of traffic. He’s a burning skater with explosiveness and quick three-step acceleration that allows him to win races, separate in transition, and put defenders onto their heels, or dash through holes in coverage to the net (or draw a penalty). He’s a soft small-area passer who blends deception into his movements.

And then on top of those things, he’s got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He’s always engaged, he keeps his feet moving, he plays with a ton of energy, and he finishes all of his checks and knocks his fair share of players over despite being on the smaller side. He’s also sturdier on his feet than his listed height might suggest, which helps him play between checks.

I see a dynamic, high-tempo, top-six, goal-creating package. He’s an exciting talent, with clear PP1 upside due to his shooting/skill package and clear five-on-five upside because of his skating and motor. Even in games where the points don’t fall, he’s almost always dangerous and threatening on the ice — and he’s seldom going to leave you wanting more. Because of the way he plays, I fully expect him to stick at his natural centre position in the NHL, too. His speed might even make him a useful penalty killer to give him all-situations value as well.

36. Jack Quinn, RW, 20 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 8, 2020)

Outside of a snakebitten, goalless 10-game playoff run, which included 28 shots on goal (2.8 per game, just shy of the 3.18 per game he registered in the regular season), last season was a really positive one for Quinn (especially considering he did it returning from a serious hernia injury). He was the AHL’s most productive under-21 forward (1.36 points per game) and looked like himself in a pair of one-game call-ups to the NHL club.

Quinn has an A-level shot (both through a standard shooting motion and off of curl and drags or catch-and-release sequences) that he can score with from medium to long range. He’s a right-handed shot and can play both wings (though he prefers his off wing).

He’s diligent and counted-upon off the puck as a detail-oriented winger. He’s got a pro frame that he’ll be able to continue to fine-tune. He has proved that his skating deserved better marks (especially through his crossovers) in the lead-up to the draft. He has proven that, despite his late birthday, he was early in his late-blooming development track in his draft year.

He has impressed me more and more in puck control getting from the outside to the inside. Quinn is a well-rounded winger who can play off of a variety of linemate types. He’s got great off-puck anticipation to complement his shot. With continued effort to get stronger physically, there’s a heady 30-goal guy in the NHL in there.

40. Peyton Krebs, C/LW, 21 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 17, 2019)

One of two 21-year-olds on this list, Krebs played more games in the NHL last year (22 points in 57 games) than the AHL (31 points in 30 games) but has been included here after bouncing repeatedly between the two levels and finishing the year by playing out Rochester’s playoff run.

Krebs has always been a top player at every level he has ever played. He was the No. 1 pick into the WHL. He was, in my opinion, the best player in the WHL two seasons ago. He produced at a point-per-game level in the AHL at age 19 and 20. Then, the week of his 21st birthday in late January, he scored his first three NHL goals and looked like he belonged with the Sabres.

Krebs isn’t going to ever score a ton of goals, but he’s the kind of player who could well score 15-20 goals, add 30-35 assists and be a good 50- or 55-point player who adds speed, pace and playmaking near the top of a lineup. Tools-wise, it’s almost all there. Krebs doesn’t have a great shot and that may be the difference between him becoming a second-line player versus a first-line one, but I’d argue the rest of his tools are enough to safely project into the former.

Krebs is a brilliant skater, both through his north-south acceleration and his changes of direction on spins, cutbacks and stop-ups. That speed helps him forecheck effectively, play at a high tempo, involve himself in the game, and make plays in transition or in quick bursts from a standstill within the offensive zone. He also has the finesse skills and the processing skills needed to play with dexterity and touch at that speed.

He quickly reads and reacts to the play, knifing through lanes and hitting seams as a plus-level passer. He’s got excellent hands in tight which help him play in traffic and adjust to defenders. He’s going to be able to win back possession and then create space for himself at the NHL level. And he can play multiple forward positions. And his effort level matches his skill.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Top 50 drafted NHL prospects
RANKPLAYERPOS.AGEDRAFTTEAM
1​
Owen PowerLHD
19​
2021​
2​
Luke HughesLHD
18​
2021​
Devils
3​
Shane WrightC
18​
2022​
Kraken
4​
Simon NemecRHD
18​
2022​
Devils
5​
Logan CooleyC
18​
2022​
Coyotes
6​
Matty BeniersC
19​
2021​
Kraken
7​
Kent JohnsonC/LW
19​
2021​
Blue Jackets
8​
Cole PerfettiC/LW
20​
2020​
Jets
9​
Matthew SavoieC/RW
18​
2022​
Sabres
10​
Juraj SlafkovskyLW
18​
2022​
Canadiens
11​
Jake SandersonLHD
20​
2020​
Senators
12​
Brandt ClarkeRHD
19​
2021​
Kings
13​
Mason McTavishC
19​
2021​
Ducks
14​
Simon EdvinssonLHD
19​
2021​
Red Wings
15​
Quinton ByfieldC
19​
2020​
Kings
16​
Marco RossiC
20​
2020​
Wild
17​
Alexander HoltzRW/LW
20​
2020​
Devils
18​
David JiricekRHD
18​
2022​
Blue Jackets
19​
Joakim KemellRW
18​
2022​
Predators
20​
Jonathan LekkerimakiRW
17​
2022​
Canucks
21​
Dylan GuentherLW/RW
19​
2021​
Coyotes
22​
Brad LambertC/RW
18​
2022​
Jets
23​
Danila YurovLW/RW
18​
2022​
Wild
24​
William EklundC/LW
19​
2021​
Sharks
25​
Isaac HowardLW
18​
2022​
Lightning
26​
Frank NazarC
18​
2022​
Blackhawks
27​
Olen ZellwegerLHD
18​
2021​
Ducks
28​
Denton MateychukLHD
18​
2022​
Blue Jackets
29​
Liam OhgrenLW
18​
2022​
Wild
30​
Kevin KorchinskiLHD
18​
2022​
Blackhawks
31​
Chaz LuciusC
19​
2021​
Jets
32​
Wyatt JohnstonC
19​
2021​
Stars
33​
Brennan OthmannLW
19​
2021​
Rangers
34​
Rutger McGroartyLW
18​
2022​
Jets
35​
Cutter GauthierC/LW
18​
2022​
Flyers
36​
Jack QuinnLW/RW
20​
2020​
Sabres
37​
Kaiden GuhleLHD
20​
2020​
Canadiens
38​
Logan StankovenC/RW/LW
19​
2021​
Stars
39​
Mavrik BourqueC
20​
2020​
Stars
40​
Peyton KrebsC/LW
21​
2019​
Sabres
41​
Lukas ReichelLW/RW
20​
2020​
Blackhawks
42​
Matt CoronatoRW
19​
2021​
Flames
43​
Conor GeekieC
18​
2022​
Coyotes
44​
Lukas CormierLHD
20​
2020​
Golden Knights
45​
Bobby BrinkRW
21​
2019​
Flyers
46​
Lane HutsonLHD
18​
2022​
Canadiens
47​
Nick RobertsonLW
20​
2019​
Maple Leafs
48​
Dylan HollowayC/LW
20​
2020​
Oilers
49​
Xavier BourgaultC/RW
19​
2021​
Oilers
50​
Thomas HarleyLHD
20​
2019​
Stars

JJ Peterka gets listed in the Honorable Mentions.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Clearly not a guy worried about following consensus, here. Savoie ahead of Slafkovsky. Still nice to see Sabres with 10% of the top 40.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Nice to see the high Power praise but that is an odd list overall.

I think most people have no idea what we have in Quinn and that even includes some of our own fans. Legitimate superstar potential. Peterka not included is just wrong.

Last edited:

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Interesting list - I dont know anyone who would take Rutger Mcgroarty over Quinn (although in name alone). Or Lambert... Or Oghren... Or Nazar... But I digress. Quinn isn't new and was a late riser in his class, and Rossi got the big hype over him during his draft year. So not too perturbed.

However, I do think not having Peterka over a guy like Nick Robertson is a bit shocking. Small, not defensively strong, PPG in the AHL but I dont see the projectable tools to put him above Peterka who continues to skyrocket in his production and talent showing.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I liked Ohgren, probably more than Ostlund but to see Ohgren at 29 and Lekk at 20 with no mention of their center seems disingenuous.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Strange list. Quinn seems pretty low, Savoie too high?

Has the shine really worn off Byfield that much? For how the Kings fans hyped him in Eichel trade threads, you'd think he'd be at least top 5.

Seems like a lot a recency bias, with a lot of 2022 middling picks being ranked really high.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Rossi so ahead of Quinn (and Quinn so low in general) was a weird one. I wonder if it has to do with wheeler’s bias from his own 2020 draft rankings, where he had Rossi ranked #3 in the entire draft class in his final rankings, and Quinn #14.

Was surprised to see Savoie as high as he was though, to be fair.

Peterka getting an honorable mention (as well as Kulich and Ostlund) was nice but Peterka should’ve made the list IMO.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Rossi so ahead of Quinn (and Quinn so low in general) was a weird one. I wonder if it has to do with wheeler’s bias from his own 2020 draft rankings, where he had Rossi ranked #3 in the entire draft class in his final rankings, and Quinn #14.

Was surprised to see Savoie as high as he was though, to be fair.

Peterka getting an honorable mention (as well as Kulich and Ostlund) was nice but Peterka should’ve made the list IMO.
Peterka should have made the list over 50% of those included.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Top 50 drafted NHL prospects
RANKPLAYERPOS.AGEDRAFTTEAM
1​
Owen PowerLHD
19​
2021​
2​
Luke HughesLHD
18​
2021​
Devils
3​
Shane WrightC
18​
2022​
Kraken
4​
Simon NemecRHD
18​
2022​
Devils
5​
Logan CooleyC
18​
2022​
Coyotes
6​
Matty BeniersC
19​
2021​
Kraken
7​
Kent JohnsonC/LW
19​
2021​
Blue Jackets
8​
Cole PerfettiC/LW
20​
2020​
Jets
9​
Matthew SavoieC/RW
18​
2022​
Sabres
10​
Juraj SlafkovskyLW
18​
2022​
Canadiens
11​
Jake SandersonLHD
20​
2020​
Senators
12​
Brandt ClarkeRHD
19​
2021​
Kings
13​
Mason McTavishC
19​
2021​
Ducks
14​
Simon EdvinssonLHD
19​
2021​
Red Wings
15​
Quinton ByfieldC
19​
2020​
Kings
16​
Marco RossiC
20​
2020​
Wild
17​
Alexander HoltzRW/LW
20​
2020​
Devils
18​
David JiricekRHD
18​
2022​
Blue Jackets
19​
Joakim KemellRW
18​
2022​
Predators
20​
Jonathan LekkerimakiRW
17​
2022​
Canucks
21​
Dylan GuentherLW/RW
19​
2021​
Coyotes
22​
Brad LambertC/RW
18​
2022​
Jets
23​
Danila YurovLW/RW
18​
2022​
Wild
24​
William EklundC/LW
19​
2021​
Sharks
25​
Isaac HowardLW
18​
2022​
Lightning
26​
Frank NazarC
18​
2022​
Blackhawks
27​
Olen ZellwegerLHD
18​
2021​
Ducks
28​
Denton MateychukLHD
18​
2022​
Blue Jackets
29​
Liam OhgrenLW
18​
2022​
Wild
30​
Kevin KorchinskiLHD
18​
2022​
Blackhawks
31​
Chaz LuciusC
19​
2021​
Jets
32​
Wyatt JohnstonC
19​
2021​
Stars
33​
Brennan OthmannLW
19​
2021​
Rangers
34​
Rutger McGroartyLW
18​
2022​
Jets
35​
Cutter GauthierC/LW
18​
2022​
Flyers
36​
Jack QuinnLW/RW
20​
2020​
Sabres
37​
Kaiden GuhleLHD
20​
2020​
Canadiens
38​
Logan StankovenC/RW/LW
19​
2021​
Stars
39​
Mavrik BourqueC
20​
2020​
Stars
40​
Peyton KrebsC/LW
21​
2019​
Sabres
41​
Lukas ReichelLW/RW
20​
2020​
Blackhawks
42​
Matt CoronatoRW
19​
2021​
Flames
43​
Conor GeekieC
18​
2022​
Coyotes
44​
Lukas CormierLHD
20​
2020​
Golden Knights
45​
Bobby BrinkRW
21​
2019​
Flyers
46​
Lane HutsonLHD
18​
2022​
Canadiens
47​
Nick RobertsonLW
20​
2019​
Maple Leafs
48​
Dylan HollowayC/LW
20​
2020​
Oilers
49​
Xavier BourgaultC/RW
19​
2021​
Oilers
50​
Thomas HarleyLHD
20​
2019​
Stars

JJ Peterka gets listed in the Honorable Mentions.

I'll take Peterka over Cormier, Reichel, Robertson, Bourgault, Harley.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Wheeler is heavily biased towards his initial opinion of players leading up to their draft. It would take a lot for him to let go of his Rossi obsession and put Quinn ahead of him. He was hammering every team that skipped Rossi in the few picks before he got taken. He was really hammering us for taking Quinn.
Much preferred over what most other people do -- rearrange their rankings based on where they were picked, instead of on their own personal pre-draft ranking. Shows they have no confidence in their ability to evaluate.

I'm sure fans of every team are pulling their hair out over this list -- prospect rankings always have a shit load of personal preference for player types and attributes, no two rankings will ever be the same, and there's no real "right" or "wrong." I thin the important part is the explainations and elaborations on why he ranks each guy in his spot. Pretty good content imo.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I think lists like these are largely meaningless offseason fodder.
Does Player A owned by Club X being ranked higher than Player B owned by Club Y really matter?
What matters for all this list is the quality of the development opportunity each has with their respective organization and where they play and are coached by their 2022-23 staff and what the player himself makes of the opportunity.

I could see 5-star talents having a shallower trajectory in the next 12 months than a lesser talent if that lesser talent is in a better situation (team, schedule, coaching, training, development, stability of linemates in game situations, injuries / illness, off-ice issues, etc.

Regardless of my opinion, some youngsters on that list will win a Cup sooner than others, regardless of both when they were drafted, and how some guy on the internet ranked them.
That's the only list I care about young Sabre draft choices being ranked 1 through 10:
Fewest post-draft seasons before getting their name on their 1st Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Much preferred over what most other people do -- rearrange their rankings based on where they were picked, instead of on their own personal pre-draft ranking. Shows they have no confidence in their ability to evaluate.

I'm sure fans of every team are pulling their hair out over this list -- prospect rankings always have a shit load of personal preference for player types and attributes, no two rankings will ever be the same, and there's no real "right" or "wrong." I thin the important part is the explainations and elaborations on why he ranks each guy in his spot. Pretty good content imo.
I don’t see much value in someone stubbornly refusing to adjust their opinions as further information becomes available.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Rossi over Quinn at this stage can’t be done without making a lot of excuses that he penalized other people for in the same rankings. Well…there was a health issue. He’s asked in the comments why Miro from this years draft gets the short end of the stick…his answer…well there’s a health issue. You have to ignore all the games played since you ranked them. He’s asked in the comments how Hutson is ahead of Kasper….his answer…well they haven’t played any games since I ranked them.

Its a classic refusal to take the L on your rankings made worse by how hypocritical it in in comparison to the rest of the list.

You get the impression Quinn can win the Calder and score 40 and will still be ranked well behind Rossi if he did his top players under 25 list.

Last edited:

RhinoFan

May 28, 2016
Haven't read through the comments yet, I like the names, but the order seems too preferential to new picks.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don’t see much value in someone stubbornly refusing to adjust their opinions as further information becomes available.
The draft was just a few weeks ago. There was no new information since then.

Most people's rankings on this website show a big difference from pre-draft and post draft, when no new games have been played. I see it all the time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The draft was just a few weeks ago. There was no new information since then.

Most people's rankings on this website show a big difference from pre-draft and post draft, when no new games have been played. I see it all the time.

It's always interesting when these lists come out and the preference of the list is illustrated in the preferences of the reader. Some Sabre fans want to see others acknowledge Quinn as being what some Sabre fans hope and dream that he is.

As for shifts based on the draft, do you mean that a player's ranking as an undrafted prospect shuffles based on where his draft position was? I've seen that it could be list builders validating it against the backdrop of the league's professionals valuing a player. *shrug*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad