Who are the next NHL GMs ?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Based on Chayka's success, probably some old geezer that doesn't know what a computer is. Old school, baby

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Why? Brisebois and Roy should be ahead of him. They would be a great duo together

I like the suggestion and it's thinking outside the box a little, but i'm not sure it's a good fit for Montreal
I have no reasoning for it other than guys who are the director of player safety for a few years tend to be given a GM spot. Off the top of my head, Shanahan, Burke, and Campbell are all guys who were DoPS and then became GMs.

Seeing as how he took over as DoPS and is a French speaking former player I figure he’s the next guy in line in MTL.

How abouyt they just hire the best candidate so they can actually win?
I agree they should do that. My guess however is they will go with Quintal for the illogical reasons I posted above.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
He won GM of the year.

His team won back-to-back President's Trophies with arguably the best post-lockout season in 2011 that the NHL has seen (statistically speaking).

He negotiated some of the best contracts in the league and in franchise history. Two Art Ross + Hart + Lindsay winners to 6.1 mill each with term? Unreal. Prime Kesler (Selke) to 5 mill at 5 yeas. 30 goal Burrows to 2 mill for 4 years. I could keep going.

He made some great free agent signings. Tanev, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Sundin, Samuelsson, Demitra, Lack, Torres (good at the time), Garrison, etc..

He made more good trades than bad. Schneider for Horvat looks pretty good right about now. The Higgins and Lapierre for 3rd round pick trades was great at the time. The Ehrhoff for Patrick White trade was great. Even his bad trades weren't that bad, and were defensible at the time.

His biggest issue was not revamping the scouting department earlier. This partly explains why his drafting was so bad (and continuously finishing top of the league and never getting a high pick outside of Horvat and Hodgson). But if you look at his 1st round picks, they generally drafted the consensus top players (Hodgson, Schroeder, Shinkaruk, Jensen, etc.), so it's hard to argue that they were bad at the time.
I don’t think Gillis did as bad as the guy you are quoting but in giving out those great contracts he also handed out NMCs and NTCs like they were Halloween candy. Handcuffing themselves when going to trade them away.

Ultimately he was a decent GM who added the necessary pieces to a good core and made them a very successful team for a few years.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Craig Conroy is probably getting close to either being with Calgary or some other team.
How I hope so. He was my favourite player as a kid. I even have a pretty big hockey card collection of him. I've soured on Treliving a while ago and would love to see my favourite player running my favourite team.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
In your thought, who are the guys that are not GM now that will be great GM ?

Personally, I have 4 names that I really think that they would be good GM

Paul Fenton (NAS)
Julien Brisebois (TB)
Martin Brodeur (STL)
Bill Zito (CBS)

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Obligatory mention of Kyle Dubas. Leafs have been grooming him to be the GM for a while now. He has done an amazing job with the Marlies, they've been lights out since he took over. Can't be entirely sure what moves on the Leafs are his credit, and which are Lou or Hunter, but lots of good moves on the parent club as well since joining front office.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Laurence Gilman if Carolina hasn't already slurped him up.

I think Ray Ferraro might creep his way into management at some point, but look to see him as an assistant first.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Will he work cheap?
Do you mean like, work with a tight roster budget or work for a low salary? I think Gilman is suited for both those things if it's coming with a GM title - an inexpensive NHL GM is still looking at a $500,000 a year, and I can only imagine it's much less expensive to live in Carolina than it is to live in Vancouver where Gilman is currently settled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad