Who are the "franchise" players in the league?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Eichel was 11th in points per game last season. HIGHER then Auston Matthews.

As a 20 year old.......on a team that scored roughly 70-80 less then average....coming off a sprained ankle.

And finished 56th in scoring despite his season not starting until December 2016.

This year he is struggling and still has 28 points in 33 Games on a team that has scored only 74 times.

Some scouts had him ranked even higher then McDavid,

He's also helped Evander Kane become a PPG Player and makes ten million dollars a year.

Safe to say he's a franchise player.
that's evidence that scouts can be laughably wrong sometimes rather than an endorsement of eichel imo

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
that's evidence that scouts can be laughably wrong sometimes rather than an endorsement of eichel imo

Well, Eichel doesent need to be endorsed. His numbers prove enough.

And if Eichel isn't, Matthews most certainly is not. Considering he can't out-produce Eichel in a season. Never has. And even with Eichel struggling they're averaging essentially the same, and Eichel's team has what scored 45 less goals? Maybe more don't wanna look,

FOr a guy who has compared Matthews to McDavid, what does that say about you for thinking it's laughable to compare Eichel to him?

You're basically indirectly burning yourself.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well, Eichel doesent need to be endorsed. His numbers prove enough.

And if Eichel isn't, Matthews most certainly is not. Considering he can't out-produce Eichel in a season. Never has. And even with Eichel struggling they're averaging essentially the same, and Eichel's team has what scored 45 less goals? Maybe more don't wanna look,

FOr a guy who has compared Matthews to McDavid, what does that say about you for thinking it's laughable to compare Eichel to him?

You're basically indirectly burning yourself.
If he doesn't need to be endorsed, why bring up the stupid point that some scouts thought he was better than McDavid? not even going to entertain the rest of this drivel

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
But you ask anyway,. And since you did because that's what this thread is about. I'm one of those posters that gives reasons for what I write rather then just typing in "Crosby, MCDAVID, Stamkos." That;s boring.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Let’s start by defining it... A Franchise player is someone you build around as a base for success.

Also don’t get angry because I didn’t add two of your players even though they’re that good, I truly think only one player can be the face of a franchise(my only exception to this is Goaltenders).

C-

True Franchise Players:
Crosby
Tavaras
McDavid
Bergeron
Scheifele
Matthews
Mackinnon

Secondary:
Stamkos(Kucherov, although it’s very close)
Backstrom(Ovi...)
Malkin(30 Teams would have him as a True #1 Franchise Player so don’t sweat it)
Seguin(Slighty beaten by Benns overall game and the fact Seguin was more a a trade piece from the past, don’t kill me for this)
Kutzneztov

Future:
Hischier
Eichel
(Needs to run a successful team to even be in mention, luckily he’s young)
Barkov(diddo^)
Kuzneztov(Maybe he’s the Centerpiece for the Caps Post “Ovi/Backstrom Era”..)

RW-

True Franchise Players:
Kucherov
Kane
Tarasenko

Secondary:
Wheeler(Scheifele slightly edges him due to age and position value)
Pastrnak(I love Pasta but I’m not knocking on the best Defensive Forward going on through the past what? 10 Seasons maybe?)
Laine( Game changer and Elite talent but he’s still not better than Scheifele, though I’m not knocking on him because he’s the most known name in Winnipeg)

Future:
Laine(for him to become a future #1 Franchise Player he will have to be at Kucherov’s level in the near future to dethrone Scheifele)
Boeser
Marner
(Secondary)

LW-

True Franchise Players:
Ovechkin
Gaudreau
Benn

Secondary:
None

Future:
Hall(depending on what type of Hall we see from now on)

No real likely Future Franchise LW

D-

True Franchise Players:
Doughty
Karlsson
Subban
Subban
Vlasic
Suter
Jones
Slavin

Secondary:
Hedman
Burns
Josi
Werenski(
I like Jones much more...)
Pietrangelo

Future:
Werenski(maybe Werenski becomes a bigger role than Jones but I’m not to sure)

G-

Current:
Price
Bob

Debatable:
Murray(playoff success and two cups in and before his Rookie season ended might be a spark for debate regardless if he’s having an offseason)

Future:

Goalies are about as consistent as my daily routine, so who knows...

Last edited:

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Let’s start by defining it... A Franchise player is someone you build around as a base for success.

Also don’t get angry because I didn’t add two of your players even though they’re that good, I truly think only one player can be the face of a franchise(my only exception to this is Goaltenders).

C-

True Franchise Players:
Crosby
Tavaras
McDavid
Bergeron
Scheifele
Matthews
Mackinnon

Secondary:
Stamkos(Kucherov, although it’s very close)
Backstrom(Ovi...)
Malkin(30 Teams would have him as a True #1 Franchise Player so don’t sweat it)
Seguin(Slighty beaten by Benns overall game and the fact Seguin was more a a trade piece from the past, don’t kill me for this)
Kutzneztov

Future:
Hischier
Eichel
(Needs to run a successful team to even be in mention, luckily he’s young)
Barkov(diddo^)
Kuzneztov(Maybe he’s the Centerpiece for the Caps Post “Ovi/Backstrom Era”..)

RW-

True Franchise Players:
Kucherov
Kane
Tarasenko

Secondary:
Wheeler(Scheifele slightly edges him due to age and position value)
Pastrnak(I love Pasta but I’m not knocking on the best Defensive Forward going on through the past what? 10 Seasons maybe?)
Laine( Game changer and Elite talent but he’s still not better than Scheifele, though I’m not knocking on him because he’s the most known name in Winnipeg)

Future:
Laine(for him to become a future #1 Franchise Player he will have to be at Kucherov’s level in the near future to dethrone Scheifele)
Boeser
Marner
(Secondary)

LW-

True Franchise Players:
Ovechkin
Gaudreau
Benn

Secondary:
None

Future:
Hall(depending on what type of Hall we see from now on)

No real likely Future Franchise LW

D-

True Franchise Players:
Doughty
Karlsson
Subban
Subban
Vlasic
Suter
Jones
Slavin

Secondary:
Hedman
Burns
Josi
Werenski(
I like Jones much more...)
Pietrangelo

Future:
Werenski(maybe Werenski becomes a bigger role than Jones but I’m not to sure)

G-

Current:
Price
Bob

Debatable:
Murray(playoff success and two cups in and before his Rookie season ended might be a spark for debate regardless if he’s having an offseason)

Future:

Goalies are about as consistent as my daily routine, so who knows...
You're missing Kopitar and Toews as secondary centres but have Backstrom?

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
A little off topic but in relation to Wheeler. When Brian Burke was the manager of the Leafs he could have got Blake Wheeler from Boston in a trade for Tomas Kaberle (I think this was like 6 years ago) but Burke declined that offer and he decided to get Joe Colborne and a first rounder as our centre depth and prospect pool was horrid. Its funny how things change and pan out.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Even though it isn't his fault he is in Buffalo, I cant crown Eichel a franchise player until he starts carrying his team a bit more. I know thats hard given their roster so in due time..
So are you suggesting that bad teams don't have franchise players? I think that is completely false, team success has little to do with franchise players if they are true superstars. It's not the fault of guys like Eichel or Oliver Ekman-Larsson that their GM's haven't been able to build a quality team around them.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
So are you suggesting that bad teams don't have franchise players? I think that is completely false, team success has little to do with franchise players if they are true superstars. It's not the fault of guys like Eichel or Oliver Ekman-Larsson that their GM's haven't been able to build a quality team around them.
I never said he cant be a franchise player because he is in Buffalo, I simply stated I cant crown him as one until he begins to backpack his team a bit more and show that resilience that you expect from a franchise player.

plus that contract before he even played three years? yikes, he hasnt put up Matthews or McDavid numbers

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Even though it isn't his fault he is in Buffalo, I cant crown Eichel a franchise player until he starts carrying his team a bit more. I know thats hard given their roster so in due time..

So is McDavid not a franchise player? His team Has been pretty bad this year too.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Under a simpler definition. Franchise Player = Your Teams Best Player in a Season Winning / Cup Winning Scenario.

Under that definition, i would disregard Kessel, Taylor Hall, Wheeler, Doughty , off the top of my head.

Ovechkin, Karlsson, Getzlaf, Benn are a few that would easily meet that definition.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I never said he cant be a franchise player because he is in Buffalo, I simply stated I cant crown him as one until he begins to backpack his team a bit more and show that resilience that you expect from a franchise player.

plus that contract before he even played three years? yikes, he hasnt put up Matthews or McDavid numbers
Contract has nothing to do with the franchise player tag.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Contract has nothing to do with the franchise player tag.
It was just an added point

Once (if) Buffalo improves to make the playoffs, we will get to see Eichels true potential - but in the mean time he is not displaying franchise tag status play. Hell even OEL manages to play at an elite level and Arizona is worse.

Eichel is a top end young talent but he isnt McDavid/Matthews yet

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It was just an added point

Once (if) Buffalo improves to make the playoffs, we will get to see Eichels true potential - but in the mean time he is not displaying franchise tag status play. Hell even OEL manages to play at an elite level and Arizona is worse.

Eichel is a top end young talent but he isnt McDavid/Matthews yet

Does he have to be McDavid or Matthews to be a franchise player? Or could he be a Nate McKinnon or Logan Couture instead?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah idk how you got that from my post but perhaps take a lesson in reading comprehension

McDavid has proven himself - Eichel has not

That isn’t what you said in your post. Maybe you don’t understand what you’re typing.

You said nothing about being proven. You said he needs to carry his team which seems to imply a franchise player can’t play on a bad team.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Franchise player is a player who is a face of his team assigned by a general manager of this team. Fans opinions have nothing to do with it. There are 31 teams in NHL and there are 31 franchise players. For example, Eichel is clearly a franchise player for Sabres, while Kucherov is clearly not for Bolts. So "franchise" has nothing to do with the actual best player of a team. But has everything to do with GM expectations.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This thread just shows you how many people value players based on EA NHL ratings. There's maybe 10 players in the league who could take that tag. MAYBE.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
The lack of Pietrangelo here is pretty concerning. Some of the young defensemen mentioned here aren’t even as good as Parayko, yet they take precedence over Pietrangelo. Maybe if he played for ARI people would start randomly putting him as top 3 D in the league.

Whether he’s “franchise” or not is irrelevant. If Petro isn’t, then there are only 3 dmen who are: Doughty, Karlsson, and Hedman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad