Who are the "franchise" players in the league?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
OK so let me see if I can tally up all of the poorly-defined adjectives we like to give to players just to make ourselves feel better when one or two of them are on our own team, or for the bottom of the list so we can use them to piss off fans of the teams we don't like:

Generational
Franchise Player
Elite
Superstar
All-star
Great
Good
Above-Average
Average
Mediocre
Underwhelming
Career AHLer
Lucic
Bust
Terrible
Talentless
Goon

What am I missing?

edit: Mods feel free to move this into its own thread if you think it can be its own discuss. thx

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This. The word franchise, is being thrown way too loosely here.

A franchise, means a player you can build around and these are the players I would build my team around(I am a little hesitant on OV though.)

If you were to go by age, than there is only one, McDavid.
Franchise players and generational players are not the same thing.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
OK so let me see if I can tally up all of the poorly-defined adjectives we like to give to players just to make ourselves feel better when one or two of them are on our own team, or for the bottom of the list so we can use them to piss off fans of the teams we don't like:

Generational
Franchise Player
Elite
Superstar
All-star
Great
Good
Above-Average
Average
Mediocre
Underwhelming
Career AHLer
Bust
Terrible
Talentless
Goon

What am I missing?

edit: Mods feel free to move this into its own thread if you think it can be its own discuss. thx
Minor leaguer?

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Generational
Franchise Player
Elite
Superstar
All-star
Great
Good
Above-Average
Average
Mediocre
Underwhelming
Career AHLer
Lucic
Bust
Terrible
Talentless
Goon

What am I missing?

Talentless hack

Reactions: ThirdManIn

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Generational
Franchise Player
Elite
Superstar
All-star
Great
Good
Above-Average
Average
Mediocre
Underwhelming
Career AHLer
Lucic
Bust
Terrible
Talentless
Goon

What am I missing?

Aren't you yourself a mod? ;)

Also, "pylon" and "liability" come to mind.

Reactions: ThirdManIn

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Aren't you yourself a mod? ;)

Also, "pylon" and "liability" come to mind.

thatsthejoke.jpg

I don't know how I forgot those two seeing as how I'm a Predators fan.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Franchise/Superstar/Elite are the same thing.

Outside of that you have Generational and Very Good but not elite.

That's it.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
Franchise/Superstar/Elite are the same thing.

Outside of that you have Generational and Very Good but not elite.

That's it.

Franchise, Superstar, and Elite are in no way the same thing.

Franchise and Superstar maybe, but Elite is definitely a step below. Kuznetsov, Giroux, Voracek are elite, but they aren't Tarasenko, Crosby, Stamkos-type players that you would tailor your team's image to.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Colorado didn't lose three top-6 centers in the last 4 years if they weren't committed to MacKinnon being a franchise player (which he is).

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Why is there a "?" besides Karlsson? Surely you mean Melker, cause there is no doubt about Erik...

BrodieOnTheCorner

May 14, 2016
See's many lists without Gaudreau. Laughs.

Sees lists with Matthews, checks NHL scoring page, he's not even on the first page LOL. Franchise player that's not top 50 in scoring eh? What a star.
Maybe you need to check Points/GP considering Matthews has missed 8 games

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
McDavid
Crosby
Kane
Karlsson
Malkin
Stamkos

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think the definition is pretty easy. A franchise player is the kind of player that can carry his team day in, day out, season after season and in the playoffs, on their own if they have to. They don't have to win a cup, especially not if they actually have to carry the team on their own. Alot of franchise players have the luxury of playing on a team with several franchise players and it's not fair to blame the lone franchise player on the worse team for not winning.

A generational player on the other hand is one of the best franchise players the game has ever seen. I'm surprised basically no goalies are considered franchise players, especially a guy like Lundqvist. He was the definition of a franchise goalie for over a decade and how quickly people write him off as "over the cliff". Especially considering how garbage the NYR defense is and that he's at the top of the league in high danger quality chances every season.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Getzlaf is absolutely a franchise center. Did anyone watch the playoffs last year? BEAST. In every sense.

So dominant and usually always is around PPG.

Oh and Eichel was 11th in points per game last season. HIGHER then Auston Matthews.

As a 20 year old.......on a team that scored roughly 70-80 less then average....coming off a sprained ankle.

And finished 56th in scoring despite his season not starting until December 2016.

This year he is struggling and still has 28 points in 33 Games on a team that has scored only 74 times.

Some scouts had him ranked even higher then McDavid,

He's also helped Evander Kane become a PPG Player and makes ten million dollars a year.

Safe to say he's a franchise player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad