HF Habs: Who are the core players moving forward?

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Core represents 6players max( if you can have that much you’re normally in a good position). 3F 2D 1G.

Right Now :
F: Domi - Gallagher - ???
D: Weber - Petry
G: Price

In 4 Years :
F: Domi - Kotkaniemi - Caufield?Suzuki?Poehling?LAFRENIERE?
D: Mete?Brook?Juulsen?Romanov?
G: Price or Primeau

My bet is this in 4 years :
Domi-Kotkaniemi-Poehlin
Romanov-Brook
Price

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
My concept of core players are a group of players i think we can win with if we keep them together, let them mature, and add a few pieces around them.

Imo, since we don't have elite d or forwards, we'll need a lot of very good players to win. I think we have a deep group of very good players, if not 4 elite players.

You can take out Primeau. The only reason I kept him there is because in 4 years perhaps Price will have slowed down and Primeau emerged. So, he's more there as a potential core player in the future. But if both Price and Primeau are good, one is expendable. Unless you want to keep Primeau as a core player for 8 years from now - when our current deep "best prospect pool in hockey" will be in their prime and Price will be done or on his last legs...
can't add pieces around them since you have a full d corp, two goalies and a top 9 F already...

you need to rethink your concept, I mean, ALL three on your 3rd line are core players ?? all of them ??
(and that's the case since you have NINE forwards as core players)

come on now...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
can't add pieces around them since you have a full d corp, two goalies and a top 9 F already...

you need to rethink your concept, I mean, ALL three on your 3rd line are core players ?? all of them ??
(and that's the case since you have NINE forwards as core players)

come on now...

Tatar is debatable, and will likely have declined by the time the young core are ready to have an impact.

Gallagher and Danault are core players imo. If we had 9 players of their calibre, we'd be contenders even without one or two elite point producing forwards. I think the young guys could become such players.

I hang on to Domi, KK, Poehling, Suzuki, and Caufield to see if they can become that future core.

I hang on to Drouin because he still has a certain high potential and his trade value is nothing now. But, he also is looking like he won't be part of the core. But he has the potential to be, so I hang on to him.

I think you can win with this depth of high quality players, depending on how the young guys develop. If the current top players in their prime aren't able to keep their high level of play over the next few years, they would fall out of the core.

And Primeau's insurance in case he blossoms and Price declines within the next 7 years. If Price doesn't decline or he doesn't blossom, he's expendable.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Has anyone figured out a definition of "core" that we can all agree on?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Has anyone figured out a definition of "core" that we can all agree on?

A core player is simply one a GM/Coach designates as one of his go to guys. There is no other rule I can think of that remains constant. No one should be surprised a core is not set in stone. To each his/her own.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A core player is simply one a GM/Coach designates as one of his go to guys. There is no other rule I can think of that remains constant. No one should be surprised a core is not set in stone. To each his/her own.

Maybe it's just too much of a malleable term.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Maybe it's just too much of a malleable term.
It is because five people will likely come up with five different versions of core. I mean Price and Weber are core but for how long? Others are touted as core but for me they haven't done their time yet. Our core has yet to develop IMO unless you think we can win almost immediately.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It is because five people will likely come up with five different versions of core. I mean Price and Weber are core but for how long? Others are touted as core but for me they haven't done their time yet. Our core has yet to develop IMO unless you think we can win almost immediately.
pretty much everyone has to same vague definition of core, (no offense mate) Mats is the only one here having a core that includes 80% of the team.

Reactions: Rapala

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Drouin is a complementary player for me.

The others either don’t have an NHL pedigree or don’t have enough of a proven NHL tranck record. Some have the potential to be core players but we don’t know how likely they might be able to realize it. Some are more projectable than others but it still involves a degree of speculation.

Right now, perhaps Domi because he’s done it at the NHL level but he’d have to prove he can do it again. And KK cause of the flashes he’s shown while making the NHL as its youngest player last year.

Am I forgetting anyone? Well, the more established players like Price, Weber and Gallagher who were not mentioned in your list, are core right now.

The others I’d be revisiting next year.

wow?
when I go back to his draft it’s hard to believe Drouin would not be an impact player by now.......maybe even special.

just goes to show that talent alone isn’t enough in the bigs.

self motivation and a solid work ethic can go along way........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad