HF Habs: Who are the core players moving forward?

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
The days of Max Pacioretty, PK Subban, Ryan McDonagh and Carey Price as core players are almost over. Price is now the only player left and Subban traded for Shea Weber. Price and Weber are now more veteran leaders of the team.

Who will be core players moving forward in the next 2-4 years?

Max Domi?
Jo Drouin?
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Ryan Poehling
Josh Brook
Alexander Romanov
Cayden Primeau
Nick Suzuki
Cole Caufield

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
The days of Max Pacioretty, PK Subban, Ryan McDonagh and Carey Price as core players are almost over. Price is now the only player left and Subban traded for Shea Weber. Price and Weber are now more veteran leaders of the team.

Max Domi?
Jo Drouin?
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Ryan Poehling
Josh Brook
Alexander Romanov
Cayden Primeau
Nick Suzuki
Cole Caufield
Price and Weber will continue to be core players for a few more years yet. And McDonagh never played a game for the Habs, he was never a core player.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
From the current lineup?

Probably Domi, Kotka, Danault and Gallagher (if he stays healthy)

Price and Weber if age doesn't catch them up too fast

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Max Domi?
Jo Drouin?
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Ryan Poehling
Josh Brook
Alexander Romanov
Cayden Primeau
Nick Suzuki
Cole Caufield

It's a pretty big core. Because we have good depth of quality players.

Forwards:
Domi KK Suzuki
Drouin Poheling Caufield
Tatar Danault Gallagher

(Drouin needs to pick up his play to stay in the core. Lehkonen, Armia and Weal could establish themselves. Tatar, Danault, and Gallagher have to maintain their level of play)

D:
Petry Weber
Romanov Brook
Mete Juulsen

(Harris, Struble, Fleury, Norlinder, Leskinen etc... could join the core. Weber and Petry need to maintain their level of play)

Goalies:
Price
Primeau

(Primeau has to establish himself. Price has to maintain his level of play)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Max Domi?
Jo Drouin?
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Ryan Poehling
Josh Brook
Alexander Romanov
Cayden Primeau
Nick Suzuki
Cole Caufield

Drouin is a complementary player for me.

The others either don’t have an NHL pedigree or don’t have enough of a proven NHL track record. Some have the potential to be core players but we don’t know how likely they might be able to realize it. Some are more projectable than others but it still involves a degree of speculation.

Right now, perhaps Domi because he’s done it at the NHL level but he’d have to prove he can do it again. And KK cause of the flashes he’s shown while making the NHL as its youngest player last year.

Am I forgetting anyone? Well, the more established players like Price, Weber and Gallagher who were not mentioned in your list, are core right now.

The others I’d be revisiting next year.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For me, the core at the moment consists of: Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Byron, Weber, Price, and Petry. I'll add Drouin as an extra, but he's not a natural core member at this moment, for me. But the organization believes in him, so I can see him be added.

Kotkaniemi and Poehling will surely be part of the core, but I see them there with a bit more experience.

Reactions: DarkSender

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Roster players: KK, Domi, Price, Weber, Gallagher.

Prospects: Poehling, Romanov, Caufield, Suzuki and Brook.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Current: Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, Weber, Price, Danault, KK, Mete

In 2 years, our lineup will look like this:

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Poehling - Caufield
Byron - Evans - Ylonen

Mete - Weber
Romanov - Brook
Fleury - Juulsen

Price
Primeau

Last edited:
Reactions: Theodore450

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's a pretty big core. Because we have good depth of quality players.

Forwards:
Domi KK Suzuki
Drouin Poheling Caufield
Tatar Danault Gallagher

(Drouin needs to pick up his play to stay in the core. Lehkonen, Armia and Weal could establish themselves. Tatar, Danault, and Gallagher have to maintain their level of play)

D:
Petry Weber
Romanov Brook
Mete Juulsen

(Harris, Struble, Fleury, Norlinder, Leskinen etc... could join the core. Weber and Petry need to maintain their level of play)

Goalies:
Price
Primeau

(Primeau has to establish himself. Price has to maintain his level of play)

A core can't be big. It's not what a core is. You can have all the depth you want if the core ain't top quality you'll go nowhere. By definition a core is made of a minority of players of a team (more or less 5-7 players max) and is the players you can count on to make a difference when it matters.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Kotkaniemi
Domi
Drouin
Gallagher
Caufield
Suzuki
Poehling
Ylönen
Weber
Mete
Romanov
Brook
Price
Primeau

+ returns on Petry, Tatar, Danault to help the defence

Defensive prospects like Struble, Fleury and Juulsen could help also.

I like this group.

Reactions: Goal Caufield

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
A core can't be big. It's not what a core is. You can have all the depth you want if the core ain't top quality you'll go nowhere. By definition a core is made of a minority of players of a team (more or less 5-7 players max) and is the players you can count on to make a difference when it matters.

I call a core a "the players you can count on to make a difference when it matters" - I have no restrictions on the size, in my definition.

Drouin certainly doesn't meet that criteria. But I'm hoping he will step up. Every player on my list I see as having a very high potential of meeting that criteria. Even Kotkaniemi didn't meet it in the last part of last season. But my projection is that he, and every other player I listed, will.

It's a very big core. And, probably all will not pan out. And if they do, we won't be able to keep them all because of the salary cap. But if they do and we have to trade a player, we will be trading a core player imo. Imo Kadri was part of the Leafs core. But they had to trade him for cap reasons and to get better at another position.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

By definition, the word “core” is restrictive and is usually qualified as meaning “the part of something”, so the idea that it evokes its most valuable elements makes sense.

You can like 20 players but not all of them will meet the threshold. 5-7 players sounds reasonable.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I call a core a "the players you can count on to make a difference when it matters" - I have no restrictions on the size, in my definition.

Drouin certainly doesn't meet that criteria. But I'm hoping he will step up. Every player on my list I see as having a very high potential of meeting that criteria. Even Kotkaniemi didn't meet it in the last part of last season. But my projection is that he, and every other player I listed, will.

It's a very big core. And, probably all will not pan out. And if they do, we won't be able to keep them all because of the salary cap. But if they do and we have to trade a player, we will be trading a core player imo. Imo Kadri was part of the Leafs core. But they had to trade him for cap reasons and to get better at another position.
then most of your "core" players are not core players, they're just some of the good players on the team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kotkaniemi
Domi
Gallagher
Caufield
Brook
Price

Thats it. Dont fall in love with anyone else.
Gally and Price are there for a few seasons then theyre off.

Domi is basically the only real core player this team has. Quite sad.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
People dont understand what a core is. Listing Danault, Drouin and co as core is a joke.

ROR, Pie, Tarasenko, Parayko = core
Ovi, Kuz, Backstrom, Carlson, Holtby = core
Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa= core

Its usually four or five players that your team is built around. First liners, first pair Ds, starters. Nothing else.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Core players = Top earners. Price, Weber, Petry, Tatar, Drouin(?) All over 5 mil.

Rotten to the core as they say. :laugh: :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad