Who are the coaching options?

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I am not typically ‘Fire the Coach’ Guy. I still don’t know if Housley is terrible but he sure hasn’t proven himself able to get what is needed out of a reasonably talented group of players. But I certainly am against firing him without a solid plan to be better in place. It’s also going to be too late for this year before we know it.

So who are the options? Whats the list to start thinking about? Who has a history of quick turnarounds? Prolonged success with more than one team? Who might be on their way out with one team that we should be ready to scoop up here?

What’s the menu?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Someone that has had success coaching a rebuilding team. Someone that's been fired.

Only qualifications I'm looking for.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
I don't envision it happening at all this year, so I wouldn't expect it.

If they end up miserable at the end of the year, it might happen at that point...but I don't see it happening at all during the year.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If, by some miracle, Housley gets canned, it'll be Taylor, and this is not something that I have even minor doubts about. Not that it should be, or even that it shouldn't be, just that nearly every move Botts has made since joining the Sabres has been directly influenced by something Pittsburgh did.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If, by some miracle, Housley gets canned, it'll be Taylor, and this is not something that I have even minor doubts about. Not that it should be, or even that it shouldn't be, just that nearly every move Botts has made since joining the Sabres has been directly influenced by something Pittsburgh did.
Well he was a major part of how the Pens handled coaches. You're most likely right, another reason why he may keep a lot of our prospects in the the AHL until that move is made.

I'm not a fan of that strategy though. This team needs a strong leader at head coach that has been there and done it before.

We don't have quality veteran leadership Needs to come from the coach

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Taylor has been a head coach for one season. He’s not ready to be an NHL head coach yet.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Is it allowed to hire active assistant coaches of other teams?
F.e. bring Lindy Ruff from drowning Rangers team?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Well he was a major part of how the Pens handled coaches. You're most likely right, another reason why he may keep a lot of our prospects in the the AHL until that move is made.

I'm not a fan of that strategy though. This team needs a strong leader at head coach that has been there and done it before.

We don't have quality veteran leadership Needs to come from the coach

If that is how he's thinking, then we may have a few more seasons like these past 2 then. He was afforded the time to be able to do that because Pittsburgh had a much better core already in place. We are still trying to build ours.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Personally, I hope they wait for Q to leave Chicago and bank up the Brinks truck for him.

Chris Taylor as an interim coach if this season really goes bad isn't a bad option. But, I'd rather keep him in Rochester for the full season.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I’d love to clone Peter laviolette. I want that kind of coach this time.
I'd love to have Laviolette on this team. He's a little less of a caveman than Torts so I think he has more longevity. Honestly, we just need someone that wasn't a one trick pony or a 1st timer. I still can't believe they went with Housley when we have such a young, inexperienced team.

Deleted member 27798

Personally, I hope they wait for Q to leave Chicago and bank up the Brinks truck for him.

Chris Taylor as an interim coach if this season really goes bad isn't a bad option. But, I'd rather keep him in Rochester for the full season.
If Housley gets fired in-season, IMO no way does Taylor get the gig. They slap the interim title on Smith or Payne, and then let Terry lead yet another HC search next April.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah I think Botterill wants to tend to Rochester like a newborn, so I doubt he brings Taylor up. I actually doubt Botterill does anything about Housley this season, only in the summer if the team plays terribly again on the whole and goes sub 80 pts.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Yeah I think Botterill wants to tend to Rochester like a newborn, so I doubt he brings Taylor up. I actually doubt Botterill does anything about Housley this season, only in the summer if the team plays terribly again on the whole and goes sub 80 pts.
I tend to agree with this and does that mean you keep Nylander, Pilut and Olofsson away from this dumpster fire? I would hate to see them get called up and pay 8 minutes a game.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Sheldon Keefe. I think he's going to be a great NHL coach. But we have to wait until the offseason for him.

I assume it'd be Taylor, though, especially if the Amerks are gangbusters this year. (FTR, I wouldn't be a big fan of that hire.)

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Vigneault. His teams have been elite in the regular season and he has three Presidents trophies. I don't know a ton about his coaching style but those 2009-2013 Canucks had an amazing offensive system. He seems like the best option on paper by far (Sutter is up there too but he wouldn't move East), but there must be something about him that explains why I barely see his name mentioned in terms of coaching candidates.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Interim coach? If we're throwing out names...

Although he's "retired", Ken Hitchcock could fill that bill.

Interim is the key. Still need to look longer term. But to stop the season going down the ole crapper, he may be the type.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's up to Botterill. If Pegula makes the decision we'll be looking for another GM too. If that happens we're back to square one. Is it worth the instant gratification of seeing Housley go to set the rebuilding back again? The problems go deeper than the coaching. We have the worst owner in professional sports. It's crazy that there's not some experienced person with a track record directing the operations of either of the Pegula's major sports franchises.

Reactions: Fearnot and slip

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
It's up to Botterill. If Pegula makes the decision we'll be looking for another GM too. If that happens we're back to square one. Is it worth the instant gratification of seeing Housley go to set the rebuilding back again? The problems go deeper than the coaching. We have the worst owner in professional sports. It's crazy that there's not some experienced person with a track record directing the operations of either of the Pegula's major sports franchises.

Not necessarily...What if... Housley was a Kim hire, not a Botts hire?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad