Who are the coaching options?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's up to Botterill. If Pegula makes the decision we'll be looking for another GM too. If that happens we're back to square one. Is it worth the instant gratification of seeing Housley go to set the rebuilding back again? The problems go deeper than the coaching. We have the worst owner in professional sports. It's crazy that there's not some experienced person with a track record directing the operations of either of the Pegula's major sports franchises.
The Wilponzis (who belong in prison, thanks Bud Selig for bailing them out! When I visit Cooperstown I'll make sure to piss on your completely undeserved plaque.) are actually the worst, but Pegulia is easily bottom 5. And it pains me to say that because without him both Buffalo teams might not even exist today.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's up to Botterill. If Pegula makes the decision we'll be looking for another GM too. If that happens we're back to square one. Is it worth the instant gratification of seeing Housley go to set the rebuilding back again? The problems go deeper than the coaching. We have the worst owner in professional sports. It's crazy that there's not some experienced person with a track record directing the operations of either of the Pegula's major sports franchises.

The Ottawa Senators might like to have a word with you on that one.

Reactions: Eichel9

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
The Ottawa Senators might like to have a word with you on that one.

I'd also add that there's an owner that continues to move his franchise around to whatever city pays him the most, jettisoned one of the best players in the game, and hired this guy:

nqrkwd99ibobrv1olcds.jpg

There are things that bother me, but the Pegulas do 1000x more good for this region than bad...

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
You'd like to think that Eichel+Dahlin+$$$ would be enough to lure anyone. Maybe a year or two of Sutter?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The Wilponzis (who belong in prison, thanks Bud Selig for bailing them out! When I visit Cooperstown I'll make sure to piss on your completely undeserved plaque.) are actually the worst, but Pegulia is easily bottom 5. And it pains me to say that because without him both Buffalo teams might not even exist today.
Easily bottom 5? Nah. I've very much soured on the Pegulas, but when it comes to dreadful sports owners, it's a race to the bottom and the Pegulas just can't compete. At least they aren't being run like a private equity firm selling off all of their good players so they don't have to pay anyone because the new owners took on debt to buy the team. At least they aren't relocating their team in a year or two and in the meantime brought in a tv personality who hadn't coached in a decade and gave him $100M to run their once promising team into the ground.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
He retired from coaching. I'm not sure we'd be getting an "all-in" Sutter if he were to come out.

Well, that's more what I meant. Drop a brinks truck on him to right the ship and tell him to have fun with the kids for a year or two

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
boudreau and coach q are two guys that might find themselves on the hotseat this year that i would absolutely love

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I want Paul MacLean. Adams winner, Cup ring as an assistant w the Ducks and helped make Karlsson into what he is today. Also a known players coach with a hard ass side to him.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
You would think somebody in the media might begin to analyze the connection between the Pegulas' ownership and the longest playoff drought in team history. We're not talking about complicated sleuthing here.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I have three things to say about that. No, hell no, and **** no.
Genuinely curious why? He had elite teams in Vancouver and New York and it wasn't just goaltending. Over 100 points 8/12 seasons since 2006-07, one at 96 and one shortened season pacing 100. So pretty much 10/12 seasons. Too old school? Favours vets too much?

Last edited:

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I wouldn't mind Keefe if they want to go with another rookie NHL coach.

But, given how things are going, I'd prefer someone with NHL experience as the guy that replaces Housley long term.

Keefe may be a rookie NHL head coach but he's been coaching for about 15 years and won or was apart of creating a good program everywhere he's been. He's no pushover and knows what he wants done from the stars to your 4th liners.

He'd be apart of my to be seriously considered list if I was to start my search.

Reactions: SabresSharks

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
If Housley makes it through the year and Rochester continues to have success, I'd be ok with Chris Taylor. I like his style and demeanor. He seems like a player's coach with a serious edge and some intensity. I could be wrong, but Housley doesn't seem driven enough. Jon Cooper only coached Syracuse for less than 3 years before jumping to Tampa. I think it's ok if you have the right guy. Taylor has 4 years as an assistant in the AHL, and is in his 2nd year as head coach.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Keefe may be a rookie NHL head coach but he's been coaching for about 15 years and won or was apart of creating a good program everywhere he's been. He's no pushover and knows what he wants done from the stars to your 4th liners.

He'd be apart of my to be seriously considered list if I was to start my search.
Agreed. Keefe will be snapped up by someone soon. He certainly won't be waiting around for Babcock to retire.

Maybe he'd flame out at the NHL level, but, seriously, could he possibly be worse than Housley or Bylsma? The bar is low.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agreed. Keefe will be snapped up by someone soon. He certainly won't be waiting around for Babcock to retire.

Maybe he'd flame out at the NHL level, but, seriously, could he possibly be worse than Housley or Bylsma? The bar is low.

If Housley and Bylsma are your bar, you are aiming too low.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
This thread makes me sad. Seems like it was just yesterday we were all clamoring for Disco to be gone, and now here we are a year later clamoring for Housley to be gone. Same cycle - wash, rinse, repeat. I want Housley gone too, but it's incredibly alarming how the management group is routinely failing on coaches. At this point, Botts just needs to bring in a guy who can make this team competent again and not pathetic. Hell, who is the Jeff Fisher of the NHL? At least Fisher could take a bottom-feeder team and make them average again.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This thread makes me sad. Seems like it was just yesterday we were all clamoring for Disco to be gone, and now here we are a year later clamoring for Housley to be gone. Same cycle - wash, rinse, repeat. I want Housley gone too, but it's incredibly alarming how the management group is routinely failing on coaches. At this point, Botts just needs to bring in a guy who can make this team competent again and not pathetic. Hell, who is the Jeff Fisher of the NHL? At least Fisher could take a bottom-feeder team and make them average again.

I would agree with you if it was a year but it’s been a whole 16 months and 4 days!!!!!!

:sarcasm:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Lindy Ruff may fit as the Jeff Fisher of the NHL.

Personally I would go after Sutter but I've been saying that for a while

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad