Speculation: Who are Buyers & Sellers?

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
Hawks will be buyer , likely targeting top 4 LHD (Already linked to Murray) and top 9 C (Already linked to Hayes)

They also I suspect will move Anisimov for future asset as they look to get younger upfront and since AA just isn't a fit with Saad
What kind of asset is Chicago looking at for anismov?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
with all the Zucker rumors, I am curious why MIN is shopping him if they need scoring? Is there some part his story there that I missed?
Have seen BUF linked to him and I think he would fit a need perfectly here, but I don't know what we can give for him if MIN wants scoring... BUF needs scoring, which is why they're inquiring about Zucker in the first place.
Kessel's probably as good as we'll do if we want to flip Zucker for immediate scoring. Failing that I think rolling the dice on potential scoring (like Alex Nylander) is what he'll have to settle for.

As for why he's being moved, there are several reasons that probably don't belong in this thread. Most of them have less to do with Zucker than they do with the state of the Wild.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Eh, people put arbitrary ceilings on teams every year and every year reality blows them out of the water. Who called Tampa getting swept? Who called Carolina going to the ECF? It's a weird league and there are no guarantees, especially with rebuilds.

Yes, it’s a weird and unpredictable league. But Carolina was rebuilding and stacking good picks for many years.

46, 18, 20, 15, 85, and 24. Those were the Wild’s first picks in the last 6 drafts. They haven’t had a player picked before 15 since they took Dumba 7oa in 2012. Unless you had a stud core aside from those picks (spoiler alert, they didn’t), you just can’t win like that in today’s nhl.

Instead the wild are trying to take the cheap way out and shortcut/skip their rebuild and re-shuffle their deck. Rip the bandaid off and give yourself a real shot a building a good team.

Reactions: RalphyDanger

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Kessel's probably as good as we'll do if we want to flip Zucker for immediate scoring. Failing that I think rolling the dice on potential scoring (like Alex Nylander) is what he'll have to settle for.

As for why he's being moved, there are several reasons that probably don't belong in this thread. Most of them have less to do with Zucker than they do with the state of the Wild.

Gotcha. Well, if it's something around Alex Nylander for Zucker.... sign me up

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It seems bizarre to me that we're categorizing teams as "buyers" and "sellers" in the context of the off-season. This isn't the deadline, where contenders "buy" to load up for a playoff run and non-playoff teams "sell" their expiring contracts. In the summer, organizations transact to improve their teams' futures (whether short-term or long-term). They don't "buy" or "sell."

Reactions: Rockmorton

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yes, it’s a weird and unpredictable league. But Carolina was rebuilding and stacking good picks for many years.

46, 18, 20, 15, 85, and 24. Those were the Wild’s first picks in the last 6 drafts. They haven’t had a player picked before 15 since they took Dumba 7oa in 2012. Unless you had a stud core aside from those picks (spoiler alert, they didn’t), you just can’t win like that in today’s nhl.

Instead the wild are trying to take the cheap way out and shortcut/skip their rebuild and re-shuffle their deck. Rip the bandaid off and give yourself a real shot a building a good team.
It'll happen eventually, but it's not the right time. We've got $15m devoted to Parise and Suter for the next 6 years, so it makes sense to try to get something out of the next 2-4 when they're still great-to-decent players. We've still got a great blueline. We've got Kaprizov coming over next year. We'll be going into next year with a bunch of young wingers that could sink or swim. It could easily all go to **** very quickly, but it's not time to pull the cord.

And pulling the cord isn't quite the solution that people make it out to be. You trade years of pain for a shot at maybe pulling a franchise player out of the top of the draft. Then again, maybe you never get the lottery picks, whiff on the #4's and #5's you accumulate, and watch playoff teams draft better players in the late 1st or hell, the 5th. It's a viable option when things get truly desperate, but I don't see why anyone would be eager for it.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
It'll happen eventually, but it's not the right time. We've got $15m devoted to Parise and Suter for the next 6 years, so it makes sense to try to get something out of the next 2-4 when they're still great-to-decent players. We've still got a great blueline. We've got Kaprizov coming over next year. We'll be going into next year with a bunch of young wingers that could sink or swim. It could easily all go to **** very quickly, but it's not time to pull the cord.

And pulling the cord isn't quite the solution that people make it out to be. You trade years of pain for a shot at maybe pulling a franchise player out of the top of the draft. Then again, maybe you never get the lottery picks, whiff on the #4's and #5's you accumulate, and watch playoff teams draft better players in the late 1st or hell, the 5th. It's a viable option when things get truly desperate, but I don't see why anyone would be eager for it.

Sure, it’ll happen eventually, but wouldn’t you rather start that process now instead of being a team in no man’s land the next 2-4 years? Is it worth being stuck in purgatory just to get something out of suter/praise? You couldn’t get what you needed out of those guys when they were in there prime, do you really think you’ll get that now?

Yes, you’ve got a decent defense now, but you’re about to lose spurgeon and Suter will only decline from here.

Rebuilds are always gambles and there’s a luck component, but as you acknowledged, it’s inevitable. The only way this team can become a cup contender is if it starts from scratch and sooner rather than later.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Sure, it’ll happen eventually, but wouldn’t you rather start that process now instead of being a team in no man’s land the next 2-4 years? Is it worth being stuck in purgatory just to get something out of suter/praise? You couldn’t get what you needed out of those guys when they were in there prime, do you really think you’ll get that now?

Yes, you’ve got a decent defense now, but you’re about to lose spurgeon and Suter will only decline from here.

Rebuilds are always gambles and there’s a luck component, but as you acknowledged, it’s inevitable. The only way this team can become a cup contender is if it starts from scratch and sooner rather than later.
Spurgeon's likely staying and Suter's decline should be pretty gradual, unless his foot injury becomes a chronic thing. And it's a decline that we can manage when the rest of the top-4 is as good as it is.

I think there are a lot of assumptions about what "the process" has to look like with a rebuild. People on here have very specific ideas about what a "rebuild" looks like, but what Fenton's done with the Granlund and Coyle trades is turn two older, more expensive players that have tapped out their potential for younger, cheaper players that still have a lot of room to grow. There's a risk that neither turns out to be as good as what we gave up, but risk is the name of the game with rebuilding (or retooling, or whatever you'd like to call it).

I think there are also a lot of assumptions about which strategies are viable. It's hard to look at what the Bruins have been doing for the past decade and tell me that a full-on rebuild is the only path to success. And it's hard to look at what the Coyotes, Panthers or Oilers have done over the same span and think that a very destructive rebuild is a wise investment.

So Compete vs Rebuild is a false dichotomy. Doesn't mean that what Minnesota's doing is going to work or that the moves are the right ones, but I don't think the entire approach is doomed from the get-go either.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I think Chicago is both.

Will most likely look to move pieces like Anisimov and Gus who just earned a bigger pay day with a 60 point season if they are bringing in other UFA and RFA's.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Sellers implies rebuilding. That isn't the right word for the Golden Knights. Re-tooling by trading extra current assets for future assets to lengthen the team's window. The Knights have to make room for Haula, Gusev, & maybe Glass and create spots for possibly ready defensemen in Hague, Whitecloud, and/or Schuldt.

Ya it is a cap crunch to re-sign Wild Bill, Gusev, Subban, etc. However it is not like the Knights are missing pieces to replace the players who will be traded.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Montreal

Buying
- A 70 point center in the mid-to-late 20s with amazing face-off skills (UFA)
- A top offensive defenseman with a couple of previous Norris wins (UFA)
- A very good/great top-3 LHD (through trade)

Selling
- A great American top pairing RHD (to get our very good/great top-3 LHD)
- A past top-5 draft pick defenseman (for cap floor purposes and some leadership)
- Middle/bottom-6 wingers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad