Who among the Flyers defensive prospects will become a legit #1

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Oh trust, I have not forgotten about Morin. Despite my hype for Ghost, Sanheim, and Provorov, Morin still might be my favorite of the Dmen and if I had a choice of who I hope hits their absolute potential, it's definitely Morin

I love his tenacity, size, and strength. I think Provorov and Sanheim are expected to be safer picks because their offensive game is already very strong whereas Morins is steadily coming along

Odds would have been in favour of Morin if the game hadn't evolved. 10 years ago he would have been a superstar in the making.

But today his upside seems to be more like second pairing shutdown D. The puckhandling and playmaking just isn't there for him. A #1 in today's NHL needs to handle the puck like a foward.
For me it's a toss up between Provorov and Sanheim.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I took the question to mean which one was most likely to be a #1 defenseman, rather than which would make the best #1 defenseman.

Picked Gostisbehere--with the caveat that he has to still have the dynamic speed and agility at 5'11, 190 that he had at 5'11, 170.

I agree that Sanheim has the higher ceiling than Gostisbehere. I just think he's slightly less likely to reach it.

For once, I'm not horrified by what I posted six months later.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The more I think about it the more I think none of them will be given the undisputed #1 tag. I can envision a scenario where they each take the spotlight away from each other. Gostisbehere will most likely be on the 1st PP unit for the next half dozen years or so which means the others are going to have a hard time putting up the gaudy numbers of a #1. It's more than just points though. If they all turn out like I think they can I don't think we'll see a guy play half the game every night like Suter and Doughty do. That would be a good thing though.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Gonna go with Gostisbehere.

I watched him most out of anyone and seeing him play in that Championship series made me drool. I just think he has "it".

wooo

for real though its probably sanheim now

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If Morin spends time at the rink when he comes up shooting the puck on net, I think he absolutely will become a #1. It won't happen right away but his shot is just too hard not create chances. He also can make transitions passes very well and is good down low on the boards. His skating has improved every year since draft and it was good to begin with. He has range and the ability to stand players up at the blue line for that reason. These things will come with time and good coaching. He needs coaches to point out times to pinch and times to stand up in the neutral zone.

Potential is clearly there and if he does eventually hit it, every team in the NHL will be envious of what we grabbed.

Obviously he has plenty of aspects of his game that needs work but every young defenseman in the league does. I am very excited to see him play next year at some point in the NHL with the big club. Hopefully he comes to camp stronger than ever and impresses our brass again like last year.

Still have all my love for Morin. I want to see him become something special.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Me too. I'm excited for Morin. He takes a bit of time to get used to the next level, but when he does he is good.

I have to trust that Hextall knows he has to slow roll Morin and have the appropriate patience with the giant.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I voted Morin and out of these three (i.e. not Provorov since he wasn't in the org yet), I'd probably switch to Sanheim now. Ghost is looking like he has the offensive chops but I still am not sold on his defensive abilities or his size allowing him to be a true #1 defender. I see him potentially as a top PP guy and playing offense-first minutes and playing those minutes with the abilities of a #1, but I don't foresee Ghost ever being a guy that you send out in a big-time defensive zone situation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers (cause I want to roil some feathers!).

I don't think a #1 will emerge because of depth, they'll probably play 4 D-men 20+ minutes, though who knows with Myers, Friedman, MDZ and Gudas, they could easily have six solid D-men out there in two years.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I understand the thinking of balancing out with the top 4 defensive prospects but you can't change the fact if one becomes head and shoulders above the rest, he will be out there more. No matter the depth if one proves to become a #1 the team will use him like one. Look at St Louis. They have four great defenders but I still easily consider the best of the bunch Pietrangelo, who many as well do. He is their go to guy.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Myers (cause I want to roil some feathers!).

I don't think a #1 will emerge because of depth, they'll probably play 4 D-men 20+ minutes, though who knows with Myers, Friedman, MDZ and Gudas, they could easily have six solid D-men out there in two years.

Well, hey, he's only got 13 points in the last 24 games...I guess it is safe to say he is not really that impressive anymore, right? I mean when he had 10 points in 12 games it was worth getting excited over, so this should be cause for concern, no? :sarcasm:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I understand the thinking of balancing out with the top 4 defensive prospects but you can't change the fact if one becomes head and shoulders above the rest, he will be out there more. No matter the depth if one proves to become a #1 the team will use him like one. Look at St Louis. They have four great defenders but I still easily consider the best of the bunch Pietrangelo, who many as well do. He is their go to guy.

Look at Anaheim:
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...=timeOnIcePerGame&aggregate=1&teamId=24&pos=D

Look how even the minutes are distributed down to the SH and PP time. I could see it playing out like that in time.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Since Myers was mentioned:

He has 25 pts in 34 games. In his draft+1 year, Morin had 31 pts in 54 games.

So he certainly is on pace to have a better draft+1 than Morin did, points wise. I will take that type of development from an undrafted, big, RHD all day long.

He is 11th in Q defense scoring. Really interested to see how he does next year with more expectations on his table. He will likely be the 1st guy that they really slow cook as the older guys should have positions locked up. He could be 5 years away even if he keeps developing.

As for the OP, I said Sanheim. I still feel that today. But it blows my mind that we could have 2 guys on the way that are better than Ghost!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Since Myers was mentioned:

He has 25 pts in 34 games. In his draft+1 year, Morin had 31 pts in 54 games.

So he certainly is on pace to have a better draft+1 than Morin did, points wise. I will take that type of development from an undrafted, big, RHD all day long.

He is 11th in Q defense scoring. Really interested to see how he does next year with more expectations on his table. He will likely be the 1st guy that they really slow cook as the older guys should have positions locked up. He could be 5 years away even if he keeps developing.

As for the OP, I said Sanheim. I still feel that today. But it blows my mind that we could have 2 guys on the way that are better than Ghost!

If Myers keeps playing well this year and carries it into next year he could get a look for next years WJC... in my mind he is in the top ~18 Dmen Canada will consider. Long shot and a lot of competition... but you never know!

Thomas Chabot
Noah Juulsen
Jeremy Lauzon
Jakob Chychrun
Jeremy Roy
Nicolas Meloche

are probably the 6 odds on favourites for the team.

Ethan Bear
Philippe Myers
Guillame Brisebois
Brendan Guhle
Kyle Capobianco
Matt Spencer
Mitchell Vande Sompel
Parker Wotherspoon
Connor Hobbs
Tate Olsen

are the 10 2015 draft guys who will be eligable have been in Canada U18 or Super series. (so on Canada's radar.)

Dante Fabbro
Jake Bean

are the 2 other 2016 draft guys who will likely have a chance in addition to Chychrun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad