Who among the Flyers defensive prospects will become a legit #1

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I think Morin has the highest ceiling if he puts it all together....but I think Sanheim is the most likely reach his ceiling.

I just don't know about Ghost. His injury still concerns me...I want to see how he bounces back this year.

Would still love to add Provorov the the mix.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
The more I watch the playoffs, the more I am convinced that Duncan Keith is the best player in the league. It's about skating. I don't really care who the Flyers draft, as long as every pick is a guy who can flat out skate.

Also, Duncan Keith is one of the smartest players out there on the ice.

I picked Sanheim but I am just excited to see that the Flyers have three possible top pairing d-men and Haag that is a possible top four guy. In a few years our defense group on the ice could look like this and they will all have decent contracts so the Flyers could put on the ice a top contender if they all pan out. :popcorn:

Sanheim--
Ghost--Morin
Haag--

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
I think Morin has the highest ceiling if he puts it all together....but I think Sanheim is the most likely reach his ceiling.

I just don't know about Ghost. His injury still concerns me...I want to see how he bounces back this year.

Would still love to add Provorov the the mix.

Agree with all of those points.

- Morin Highest Ceiling
- Sanheim most likely to hit his ceiling
- Ghost - Injury concern, could be among the mix
- Hagg - Silent Assasin, Could be great but likely solid
- Would absolutely be thrilled if we drafted Provorov!

Just take (Most valuable/Best)PA with all of the picks. Defenseman are more valuable in this league, so won't mind if we target the top ones high. Stick whoever fits on the roster, fill the rest through trades and FA.

Drafting for need is terrible and I hate everyone clamoring for a forward because that is the need. Needs change every year.

6 picks in the first three rounds - If BPA are all defensemen, I wouldn't mind one bit if we take them all. League will be knocking on our door to trade. The Reads and Raffls are a lot easier to find in FA.

If atleast 3 picks pan out, this draft will be a huge success.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Agree with all of those points.

- Morin Highest Ceiling
- Sanheim most likely to hit his ceiling
- Ghost - Injury concern, could be among the mix
- Hagg - Silent Assasin, Could be great but likely solid
- Would absolutely be thrilled if we drafted Provorov!

Just take (Most valuable/Best)PA with all of the picks. Defenseman are more valuable in this league, so won't mind if we target the top ones high. Stick whoever fits on the roster, fill the rest through trades and FA.

Drafting for need is terrible and I hate everyone clamoring for a forward because that is the need. Needs change every year.

6 picks in the first three rounds - If BPA are all defensemen, I wouldn't mind one bit if we take them all. League will be knocking on our door to trade. The Reads and Raffls are a lot easier to find in FA.

If atleast 3 picks pan out, this draft will be a huge success.

We have no high end forward prospects. Laughton is our best and, no offense to him, that's not saying much. We have the chance to draft a potential game changing forward. If the defenseman and forwards are valued similarly it would be smarter to draft what we need, which is a forward.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
We have no high end forward prospects. Laughton is our best and, no offense to him, that's not saying much. We have the chance to draft a potential game changing forward. If the defenseman and forwards are valued similarly it would be smarter to draft what we need, which is a forward.

You can trade away other assets for forwards if you need. We have been doing fine signing guys like read and raffl and can sign others through FA with the salary coming off the books and supplement with all the youth and control we already have at the NHL level. Refilling the forward prospect depth is not a big deal.

If you have a guy that's rated as a #1 defensemen on your board, you take him unless that forward is can't miss guy like Eichel or McDavid.

Look at what Toronto got for luke schenn. Even potential with defense is very valuable in trades.

I would rather we get guys like Ghostisbehere and Friedman than Goulbourne and Cousins.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
You can trade away other assets for forwards if you need. We have been doing fine signing guys like read and raffl and can sign others through FA with the salary coming off the books and supplement with all the youth and control we already have at the NHL level. Refilling the forward prospect depth is not a big deal.

If you have a guy that's rated as a #1 defensemen on your board, you take him unless that forward is can't miss guy like Eichel or McDavid.

Look at what Toronto got for luke schenn. Even potential with defense is very valuable in trades.

I would rather we get guys like Ghostisbehere and Friedman than Goulbourne and Cousins.

I hate to break it to you, but Raffl and Read aren't exactly game changers.

That's why you get good scouts and take chances on people with later picks. Don't draft for third or fourth line roles like Goulbourne.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
I hate to break it to you, but Raffl and Read aren't exactly game changers.

That's why you get good scouts and take chances on people with later picks. Don't draft for third or fourth line roles like Goulbourne.

We already have our game changers on offense. You need a good supporting cast to build around them. If you need that additional firepower, can sign or trade for one.

What we need is defense, and unless we actually start flooding our blue line with homegrown talent (hasn't happened yet), I have no problem if we keep drafting them until they start coming. Especially if they are similarly rated to other forwards.

When they get to their RFA year, trade them for king's ransom if you have to if you can't resign them to a good contract. Keep defense cheap, spend on goalie and top two lines. Keep the blueline guys flowing through the system.

Last edited:

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I'd still say Sanheim, but I've been doing a lot of research on Provorov since we drafted him and the Doughty comparisons may not be too far fetched. I'm so happy with the future of this team, we'll probably have more than one dman capable of being a number 1 and that's pretty amazing

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I'd still say Sanheim, but I've been doing a lot of research on Provorov since we drafted him and the Doughty comparisons may not be too far fetched. I'm so happy with the future of this team, we'll probably have more than one dman capable of being a number 1 and that's pretty amazing

I don't understand the Doughty comparisons. He seems more like Suter to me. :dunno:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I don't understand the Doughty comparisons. He seems more like Suter to me. :dunno:

I see both. He's got the kind of efficiency to his off-puck game that Suter has, but the way he lugs the puck up on the breakout or in transition is very Doughty-esque. The way the two of them step out from behind the net with their heads up building speed while looking for an outlet is similar.

He skates and carries the puck more like Doughty than Suter. Suter doesn't really lug the puck that often.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I see both. He's got the kind of efficiency to his off-puck game that Suter has, but the way he lugs the puck up on the breakout or in transition is very Doughty-esque. The way the two of them step out from behind the net with their heads up building speed while looking for an outlet is similar.

He skates and carries the puck more like Doughty than Suter. Suter doesn't really lug the puck that often.

That makes sense.

I recall that DD, at the time he was drafted, was regarded an elite offensive talent who had only recently begun to get comfortable in his own end, but still had work to do there. By most accounts, Provorov is as polished defensively as a guy can be coming out of jrs--much more so than Doughty at the time he was drafted. But I see your point.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
It's crazy how people have seemed to "forget" about Morin.

2 years ago people were so jazzed about him. Now with Sanheim and Provorov in the mix, people hardly ever mention him.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

We all know Button compares Sanheim to Ryan McDonagh, but I think McDonagh is actually the better comparable for Provorov. I've never thought the McDonagh tag fit Sanheim.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
My guess is that he's back to Juniors this season, then either makes the team out of camp or gets a midseason call up the year after.

Would it benefit sanheim if he plays this year in phantoms, I'd like to see him play in a higher league than juniors. I think AHL would fit him well, and he can still continue to learn and grow.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Would it benefit sanheim if he plays this year in phantoms, I'd like to see him play in a higher league than juniors. I think AHL would fit him well, and he can still continue to learn and grow.

Unfortunately, he's not eligible to play in the AHL yet.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

2 years ago people were so jazzed about him. Now with Sanheim and Provorov in the mix, people hardly ever mention him.
Once upon a time, Shea Weber was the forgotten guy in Nashville when they had Klein and Suter. It's probably good for Morin in the long run to not be "the guy" that gets pinned with all the expectations. I still think he will be a force in this league.

We all know Button compares Sanheim to Ryan McDonagh, but I think McDonagh is actually the better comparable for Provorov. I've never thought the McDonagh tag fit Sanheim.
He used to say "at the same stage" they were comparables. In his draft year McDonagh was seen as an offensive guy that could really skate like Sanheim. McDonagh settled into more of a defensive role when he went to Wisconsin.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

Oh trust, I have not forgotten about Morin. Despite my hype for Ghost, Sanheim, and Provorov, Morin still might be my favorite of the Dmen and if I had a choice of who I hope hits their absolute potential, it's definitely Morin

I love his tenacity, size, and strength. I think Provorov and Sanheim are expected to be safer picks because their offensive game is already very strong whereas Morins is steadily coming along

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad