Who’s Your Team(s) in the Stanley Cup Playoffs

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
i know - the Jackets are already golfing. But most of you are hockey fans beyond the Blue Jackets. So who are you you pulling for in the playoffs?

(I saw a few reference this in the Non-Jackets Hockey thread but thought it might be fun to see where your backing is now?)

Me? I’m mostly an Eastern Conference guy as the West is a bit late night for me. I‘m pulling for the Rangers though it’d be nice to see Carolina go far. Their depth over superstar model is one we can best emulate (though styles are very different).

In the West I hope Seattle makes a deep run. There‘d be nothing better than seeing Bjorkstrand hold the Cup. Same for the Korpi and Gav with the Kings, though I know that’s not the most ideal for the CBJ draft pick.

Your teams?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The older I get the less I care about other teams winning :laugh:. I just want good hockey for the most part. Last year I was all Colorado but they got their Cup so that was cool. When I was young I was a Toronto fan so its bittersweet. They have such a large fan base with lots of loud mouth people its funny to watch when they lose but at the same time it will be a good story when they break through a bit.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Tronna has always been among my faves, so they’re an easy choice as my team this playoffs.

Don’t really have a team out west, although I have a buddy who uses to work for the Stars.

Liked and followed the Devils in the 90s/00s but I can’t get behind them yet out of jealousy.

Maybe Jets or Canes I’d be ok with?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
East: Toronto and carolina
West: Edmonton and Seattle

Definitely rooting against the Jets, Rangers, and Kings (draft pick reason only)

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Carolina in the East, Winnipeg and LA in the West (and would be OK with Edmonton, Dallas or Seattle).

• Typically I root against teams with lame fanbases like New Jersey and Florida, so screw those bandwagon fanbases, they don't deserve happiness.
  • I grew up on Long Island and my two best friends are Isles fans, so screw the Islanders...and the Rangers. Also after living in NH for fifteen years I have come to conclusion most Boston sports fans are insanely spoiled and obnoxious so screw Boston.
  • I always cheer against Toronto because it is is much fun to see their fanbase lose its collective shit so I am pulling for Tampa at least in the first round. Screw Toronto.
  • I do prefer teams that I perceive as having built their team the right way so I would be good with Carolina finally winning it all. Brindamour is a fantastic coach!
  • Colorado got their Cup last year, prefer someone new...but other than that nothing against them
  • Sadly our organization's fate always tied to Minnesota since we came into the league the same year so never wish good things for them. They also played bullies taking extra liberties with our players last year before we got Buddy and Olivier. So screw Minnesota.
  • Can't cheer for Vegas based on how much the NHL kissed their asses giving them a team with immediate success after screwing us. Screw Vegas.
  • LA: would enjoy seeing Korpi and Gavy raise a Cup
  • Winnipeg: great and patient fanbase and with Maurice gone would laugh being yet another former Maurice team have success shortly after he is ass-canned.
  • Edmonton, would be fun to watch McDavid and Draisaitl on a deep run.
Now that I re-read this I think I have some anger issues :)

Last edited:

anotherlurker

Oct 31, 2022
1. Dallas - one of the most Finnish-infested teams in the league. Heiskanen and Hintz are a joy to watch along with the rest of the team.
2. Boston - best team and a joy to watch also. Would be fun to see them dominate the playoffs like they dominated the regular season. Go overdogs!

After watching the first NYR-NJ game I want NJ to drop out as soon as possible, their fans deserve nothing. It was disgusting to see people leaving the game when there was still 9 minutes to play and your team needs you the most.

Also would like to cheer for CAR but I don't think they will go past second round, so don't want to jump on that bandwagon.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm rooting for the Rangers to paste the Devils actually. Something about old time caveman Gallant tough hockey being better than the fancy analytics in the playoffs is very satisfying.

I have always rooted for Winnipeg with the rabid fanbase. It sucks for us but PLD is a great playoff performer. He was dominating in game one. I dislike Vegas in general.

I have always been an Oilers fan but Korpi and Gavi are making it tough. I don't think about our draft pick, at least not in round one.

I've been a Seattle fan all year, I live there and it's nice to see the fanbase growing.

No real interest in Carolina, NYI, or the Panthers. Boston is a legit interesting team that I would like to go far, I do love how they've built around high standards and have a lot of nasty playoff type players.

Dislike for both the Leafs and the Bolts. Disinterest for both the Wild and Stars.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Edmonton. They have the best hockey player ever and if someone deserves a cup its McDavid. Id rather take hell on earth than rangers,hurricanes,jets or maple leafs winning the cup. Puke

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
1. Dallas - one of the most Finnish-infested teams in the league. Heiskanen and Hintz are a joy to watch along with the rest of the team.
2. Boston - best team and a joy to watch also. Would be fun to see them dominate the playoffs like they dominated the regular season. Go overdogs!...
Crazy stat I learned on The Athletic Hockey podcast.

Boston is the 9th team win the Presidents Trophy AND earn at least 119 points during the regular season. None of the first eight even made the Stanley Cup Finals. None, Zero, Zilch, Nada. In Finnish, Goole says "ei mitään - nolla".

To take it one step further (if I understood them correctly) only one team even made it to the Conference Finals (the 1995-1996 Detroit Red Wings).

anotherlurker

Oct 31, 2022
Crazy stat I learned on The Athletic Hockey podcast.

Boston is the 9th team win the Presidents Trophy AND earn at least 119 points during the regular season. None of the first eight even made the Stanley Cup Finals. None, Zero, Zilch, Nada. In Finnish, Goole says "ei mitään - nolla".

To take it one step further (if I understood them correctly) only one team even made it to the Conference Finals (the 1995-1996 Detroit Red Wings).
They say that playoffs are a totally different animal... Seriously, do they drug the players or something? Why the bubble teams didn't, which some of these who passed were, play with this intensity in the last games of regular season?

I didn't catch the second FLA-BOS game but after watching the first I have a hard time believing they won't make the cup finals. Get Bergeron back and don't anybody else die on the way.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Got confused thinking for a second Doggy you're Finnish before I read that correctly. :laugh: (But yes that's correct.)

That's a scary stat though. Or not scary, because I don't really root for Boston... The petty part in me doesn't want them to have success so soon after Rask retiring.

My teams:

Florida - The Finnish connection... I'm a big fan of Barkov but it's time to start winning too. But also in the 90s I think I was a bit of a fan too, Vanbiesbruck was on the cover of NHL'97 and I was big on goalies at the time and liked the old logo and some players.
Carolina - The Finnish connection... They play nice offensive hockey too (or have great offensive players), just a shame with the injuries.

Colorado, Dallas - guess which connection again... I was NOT a fan of the Nordiques or Avs in the 90s though, so it's taken some letting go of feelings to root for Colorado now. Dallas in their cup period had a good team + Jere Lehtinen and Ed Belfour so liked them for that.

Honorable mention to Seattle (I like their vibe and in comparison to Vegas they feel easier to root for) and Los Angeles (I think I was a fan of some sort of Kelly Hrudey as evidenced by a painting I made as a kid of his hockey card, but can't really remember much else). And obviously now with Korpi and Gavy in LA they get some extra points in the fandom chart. Would make for a cool story too. (But also I like that #23 pick so...)

Rooting against:

Boston - I mean with a Swedish goalie to boot, that'd just sting if they won the Cup now; otherwise nothing against them, in fact my only NHL game live was at TD Garden and I quite liked the city...
Toronto - The fans, man... They're slowly winning me over by the constant losing in the playoffs, nobody deserves that, but maybe let's give it one more year... Kinda root against Tampa too, never liked them at all. (It's funny how some things are set in stone at a young age, like Tampa and Ottawa being crap teams in the 90s and thus detestable.)

I'm indifferent with many teams currently in the playoffs. Maybe kinda ok with the Rangers, that '94 final is the first (and for a long time only) final I've seen on local telly, was a young kid visiting my cousins and waking up early to see the last game(s) was fun (they must've been reruns). Seeing Richter win it was cool and watching Bure rocketing was great too, that final probably cemented my fandom of hockey pretty good.

All this reminiscing makes me want to go through all the 90s hockey cards I collected lol. :D

Reactions: Doggy

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'm watching hockey because I do love the game. Rooting for Edmonton vs Toronto. The cup would go back to Canada for a year. Then I hope the Jackets enter in next year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'll root for the Rangers who by default were the home team growing up in NJ during Original 6 days. And I think they have a real chance. Great offensive talent, physical, good coaching and one of, if not THE, best goalies.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I probably sound like a front runner or bandwagon guy, but I want to see Colorado vs Tampa.

Tampa has been struggling and Colorado has not been good consistently through the season so I don't see them as either of your descriptions. Maybe a sentamentalist? I wouldn't mind seeing either team win.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Tampa has been struggling and Colorado has not been good consistently through the season so I don't see you as either of your descriptions. Maybe a sentamentalist? I wouldn't mind seeing either team win.

But have they both been focused on just getting to the playoffs? They have nothing to prove in the regular season. Just make the playoffs and then play playoff hockey. Kucherov, MacKinnon, Makar, Point, etc. are playing for rings, not individual accolades.

Reactions: Doggy

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
But have they both been focused on just getting to the playoffs? They have nothing to prove in the regular season. Just make the playoffs and then play playoff hockey. Kucherov, MacKinnon, Makar, Point, etc. are playing for rings, not individual accolades.
Could be. I live in the TB area so I hear & see more about them than Colorado. They have been inconsistent and based on 1st two games of playoffs they still are. Although being without Hedman & Cernak doesn't help, They also have lost some of the role guys who made them harder to play against. Colorado was without Landeskog all year, Hopefully both are ready for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad