Who’s this years playoff dark horse?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The Habs. I don't think they have a chance to winning it all but I think they can do some damage in the playoffs. Any team with Price, if he gets hot at the right time, can be dangerous and they are much better than last year.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
The Ducks.

Facetiously made a comment that Disney would like to reheat the franchise since they do it with all their other movies and go back to the Ducks, and do you know what I like Murray. I think they'll sneak into the playoffs.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Are the Blues really a dark horse? If they continue playing the way they've been playing for these final 25+ games, I think they'll be one of the favorites.

Reactions: Sensators

acor

Jan 13, 2012
What is "dark horse" anyway??? A team with low seed, or a team with low expectations??? Everyone knew '17 Preds are good team, they just underperfrmed in RS... At the other hand, last year Vegas, despite great regular season, was doubted all way along...

If Islanders will win Metro, are they "dark horse"???

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The teams that aren’t being mentioned, outside of the Bolts, Jets, Preds, Caps etc are the ‘dark horses.’

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Before the season began, teams that were expected top 3 in their division and a likely playoff berth are not dark horses.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Carolina usually goes deep when they qualify. 2002, 2006, and 2009 saw the Hurricanes win multiple rounds. They have found some secondary scoring and McStarter is having a stellar season. They are one of the hottest teams in hockey right now. Will it last? Or are they peaking too soon?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Pens. All i hear is that they are past their prime etc. But i think they will be dangerous if they get in . Can get hot at the right time too .

Reactions: Pens and Flames

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Blues just shutout Tampa in Tampa and beat the Preds in both games on a B2b....
Current results don't really have any impact on whether a team will be dominant in the playoffs.
That's true to a point, however there are a few things from current results that make me think the Isles will be tough in a 7 game series: they are 10-0 in the 2nd game of a back to back this year; if they have a bad game or even two it stops there and they come back and win; they've been playing (and winning) close, defensive battles all year. Trotz will have them prepped for playoff hockey.

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
Are the Blues really a dark horse? If they continue playing the way they've been playing for these final 25+ games, I think they'll be one of the favorites.
Yeah you may have a point but I think with the horrible start and with a rookie in net they’ll still be underdogs compared to teams like the Sharks, Preds and Jets.

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
What is "dark horse" anyway??? A team with low seed, or a team with low expectations??? Everyone knew '17 Preds are good team, they just underperfrmed in RS... At the other hand, last year Vegas, despite great regular season, was doubted all way along...

If Islanders will win Metro, are they "dark horse"???
Yes. The Islanders will still be a darkhorse. I don’t expect them to get past the first round. To be honest the deciding factor for them is goaltending. And it’s always that one team that rides a hot goaltender in the playoffs for a series or two. Lehner maybe the guy this year.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
You can't consider Blues as a darkhorse just because they sucked earlier in the season. Before the season started many saw them as a potential winning team. They just play the way they were expected to do now.

I would say Blackhawks if they can make it to playoffs. They were expected to suck this season to and did indeed do so under 2018. But something happen to them after the new year and i think everyone should fear them if they pass through.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Yes. The Islanders will still be a darkhorse. I don’t expect them to get past the first round. To be honest the deciding factor for them is goaltending. And it’s always that one team that rides a hot goaltender in the playoffs for a series or two. Lehner maybe the guy this year.

Or it could be Greiss, who is even hotter than Lehner, and carried them to their last playoff win.

No one expects them to get past the first round. But if you look objectively, that team is built for playoff success. Stingy defense, balanced scoring, clutch role players. Will be interesting to see what Lamoriello adds over the next week.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pens. All i hear is that they are past their prime etc. But i think they will be dangerous if they get in . Can get hot at the right time too .

If you start a separate thread to discuss the issue, i feel very good about my ability to put forth arguments as to why the Penguins are still the #1 Stanley Cup favorite as of today.

They don't exactly fit the 'dark horse' tag imo.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As an optimistic Habs fan - i'll say Habs.

Since i've bought in to Price's ability as a top goalie in the world a few years back, i feel as though anytime we get into the playoffs we have a 'puncher's chance' with him. I think this year in particular there's a lot of positive to the team in terms of offense and speed, not just winning based on strong goaltending.

I don't see us being favorites in pretty much *any* potential round 1 matchup regardless of where we finish in the standings and who we play - but I could see us doing some damage.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If they can somehow hang onto their spot, despite Kane doing his best to bring Chicago back from the dead, Minnesota would have to be it. We're not quite talking the 1991 North Stars with their 27-39-14 record, but nobody expects the Wild to do anything anymore.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The Blues. After their horrible first half of the season no one will take them seriously and they might surprise.

Every team should be taken seriously in the playoffs whether the look like a breeze or not

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Islanders and Habs are having fantastic seasons. I can see them beating anyone in a 7 game series. I doubt they can 4 though. Who knows ...worse teams have made the finals (1991 Northstars).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad