Who’s this years playoff dark horse?

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
Usually it’s one or maybe even two every playoffs. But who will be this years playoff darkhorse or underdog per say that will surprise everyone and win a rd or two, maybe even reach the conference finals. For example the 2009 Hurricanes or the 2016 Preds that went to the playoffs as an 8th seed and took Pittsburgh to 6 games in the SCF or the 2011 Kings who ended up winning the cup as an 8th seed.
Who do you guys think that team will be this year?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I like to bet on teams who have made the playoffs and are a good team, but really never had that peak point in their season.

So, whoever that is

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Vegas if they can get their shooting percentage back up to the mean. They regressed well past the mean and into oblivion twice already this season.

The offensive effort is there (though collapse/puck press defenses have made them fall into a Carlyleesque dump and chase that is driving me insane) but it seems like every time they play, even on their high quality chances, the opposing goalie goes into Vezina caliber God mode.

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
The Blues. After their horrible first half of the season no one will take them seriously and they might surprise.
Yeah the Blues are rolling. And I think in the East the Habs will surprise people in the playoffs. I hope Carolina takes Pittsburgh spot because I really want to see Aho in the playoffs.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
A 'DARK HORSE' in the playoffs would be a team that arises unexpectedly. Last season no one expected VGK to be in the finals. or even in the playoffs. So picking one is almost as uncertain as predicting the Stanley Cup winner.

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
Blues and maybe the Stars. I think the Stars could cause some trouble for better teams.
Bishop would have to play out of this world in order for Dallas to win a rd or two. Or Benn will have to get his head out of his ass. Their still a one line team but their Defense and Benn is the reason why they’re are in a playoff spot right now.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
The Wild. Very dark horse. It'll take a transcendent performance by all of Eriksson Ek, Kunin, and Greenway. And we'll have to figure out a way to ditch the ol' "Spot them a soft goal in the first five minutes" strategy.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Pretty sure most people knew the Kings were not your typical 8th seed, and knew they would be extremely difficult for teams to deal with over a long series.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
No it isn’t. :laugh:

So in your mind it’s impossible for a darkhorse to ever exist since the moment someone picks them, they would no longer be one.

That is flawed logic.
Darkhorse’s are teams that are supposed to be bad and just sneak into the playoffs. Teams like the Blues were projected to finish near the top of the standings therefore they cannot be a darkhorse. Anyways hockey is such a game of bounces that the term darkhorse has very little meaning when compared to other sports.

Reactions: Art of Magic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad