Who’s on the starting day roster next season

Who makes it

• Total voters

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I have Zadina, Seider, Svechnikov and Givani Smith all being on the roster, minimum. I think Veleno and Rasmussen could make it, but will probably be call-ups later in the year. Cholowski will be up shortly after the season starts when won of our often injured d-men can't survive the rigors of opening night.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rasmussen - Larkin - Mantha
Zadina - Fabbri - Bertuzzi
Timashov - Filppula - Svechnikov
Helm - Glendening - Smith
(Nielsen, Abdelkader)

UFA (Krug?) - Hronek
DeKeyser - Seider
Nemeth - Lindström
(Cholowski)

UFA
(Bernier)

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
Rasmussen - Larkin - Mantha
Zadina - Fabbri - Bertuzzi
Timashov - Filppula - Svechnikov
Helm - Glendening - Smith
(Nielsen, Abdelkader)

UFA (Krug?) - Hronek
DeKeyser - Seider
Nemeth - Lindström
(Cholowski)

UFA
(Bernier)

Just curious, why break up our only good line with actual chemistry Bert/Larkin/Mantha to put Rasmussen on it? Ras would hurt that line more than Bert will help out another line imo. What has Ras shown in Grand Rapids last season to warrant top line with Larkin and Mantha?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just curious, why break up our only good line with actual chemistry Bert/Larkin/Mantha to put Rasmussen on it? Ras would hurt that line more than Bert will help out another line imo. What has Ras shown in Grand Rapids last season to warrant top line with Larkin and Mantha?

I don't think he will start there, but the answer to your second question is when he was in the lineup he was usually their best forward...

I think they will want Ras to start at #3C this coming year. They want to see him at center.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all if they put Fabbri and Bertuzzi together at some point. They have a history. Wish Svech would come off the knee injury and get a crack at the other spot in terms of the heavy down low player with Larkin and Mantha, he has shown chemistry with Larkin in the past in my opinion. You get Bertuzzi - Fabbri - Zadina taking on second line duties. Not sure they will do it. I would stick with the MLB line, but it would get you some balance in the lineup perhaps.

Last edited:

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I don't want Seider to make it. He needs AHL time to work on his offensive game. If we bring him up now, he might never become that #1. He needs reps. 30 min a night in every situation.
Too bad we passed on Cozens and Zegras, i still have Seider in 10-15 range, because his offensive upside Is very low considering he was drafted 6th overall.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
ide prefer seider and veleno start in gr . even though i think seider could handle a top 4 nhl job today ide prefer he spends at least 3 more months development in the ahl . veleno more time than that

Reactions: ealong59

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think he will start there, but the answer to your second question is when he was in the lineup he was usually their best forward...

I think they will want Ras to start at #3C this coming year. They want to see him at center.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all if they put Fabbri and Bertuzzi together at some point. They have a history. Wish Svech would come off the knee injury and get a crack at the other spot in terms of the heavy down low player with Larkin and Mantha, he has shown chemistry with Larkin in the past in my opinion. You get Bertuzzi - Fabbri - Zadina taking on second line duties. Not sure they will do it. I would stick with the MLB line, but it would get you some balance in the lineup perhaps.

What are your thoughts on Ras starting in Detroit at 3C vs GR at 1C? Assuming GR is in business, I think I'd rather see him down there, but I don't expect that to be an option. Really wish we just had a normal season coming up where these kids could be placed where they should be without any other concerns. ~40 games in GR for Rasmussen and Seider to start the year, then coming up in the second half after the Wings have made some moves and the season is realistically decided would seem ideal. Instead, it's all in a blender.

Agree about Svech. If he can live with his knee wherever it's at, I really like him anywhere in the top9 going forward. The guy has a nose for the net, and isn't afraid of getting to the dirty parts of the ice. Really reminds me of the sort of guy the wings had up and down the lineup in the late 90s.

Reactions: ealong59

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What are your thoughts on Ras starting in Detroit at 3C vs GR at 1C? Assuming GR is in business, I think I'd rather see him down there, but I don't expect that to be an option. Really wish we just had a normal season coming up where these kids could be placed where they should be without any other concerns. ~40 games in GR for Rasmussen and Seider to start the year, then coming up in the second half after the Wings have made some moves and the season is realistically decided would seem ideal. Instead, it's all in a blender.

Agree about Svech. If he can live with his knee wherever it's at, I really like him anywhere in the top9 going forward. The guy has a nose for the net, and isn't afraid of getting to the dirty parts of the ice. Really reminds me of the sort of guy the wings had up and down the lineup in the late 90s.

I think Ras is more than likely ready for the show next year based on what I saw this season. It is a shame he didn't have a full run of health down there. I am curious to see where he is at in camp though for sure.

Seider could get more run for offensive situations. But I kind of just see them being unable to hold him back, similar to Larkin after the year at U of M. They can try, but he looks like a NHL d-man right now and because of his physical gifts I don't really see the reason in keeping him down anymore. Getting him Krug to play with might help him a lot more than being the guy in the AHL.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Opening day starts:
Zadina - starts and stays up.
Svetch - probably starts and, if healthy, stays up (or gets traded).
Cholo - probably starts. Possibly gets demoted again, or traded.

Injury call ups:
Smith - likely to stick around.
Ras - likely to stick around, but could also be sent back down if they want him to be "the guy" in GR for one more year.

Called up for a few games:
Seider - if they do this at the beginning of the season he could potentially stick around.
Veleno - likely plays a few games at the end of the season.

Edit: adding Lindstrom to the starter list.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Ras is more than likely ready for the show next year based on what I saw this season. It is a shame he didn't have a full run of health down there. I am curious to see where he is at in camp though for sure.

Seider could get more run for offensive situations. But I kind of just see them being unable to hold him back, similar to Larkin after the year at U of M. They can try, but he looks like a NHL d-man right now and because of his physical gifts I don't really see the reason in keeping him down anymore. Getting him Krug to play with might help him a lot more than being the guy in the AHL.

If Ras had been healthy and played a whole year in GR as their #1, I'd feel a lot better about him being up to start the year. He's missed so much time, though, and the Wings don't have great forward depth to send him out there with some legit weapons on the third line. At least not without gimping the two lines above him.

I'm more where you're at with Seider. I'd like to see him getting huge minutes and a lot of opportunities on the power play in GR, but he might just be too physically gifted to force an extended stay in GR on him. From past experience with the guy, he has shown that he'll rein his game in to fit with the league he's in, but I want him to go out there and just let it go and push that part of his game. I can see him going into his shell a bit in the NHL to keep from getting burned. And the lack of talent around him won't help. Krug would help, I think Brodie could be a good fit. I would have really liked someone like Bouwmeester to take the kid under his wing for a season, but I'm not sure someone like that will be there. Maybe Greene? Maybe Sekera?

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Opening day starts:
Zadina - starts and stays up.
Svetch - probably starts and, if healthy, stays up (or gets traded).
Cholo - probably starts. Possibly gets demoted again, or traded.

Injury call ups:
Smith - likely to stick around.
Ras - likely to stick around, but could also be sent back down if they want him to be "the guy" in GR for one more year.

Called up for a few games:
Seider - if they do this at the beginning of the season he could potentially stick around.
Veleno - likely plays a few games at the end of the season.

Edit: adding Lindstrom to the starter list.
done

Reactions: Red Stanley

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Svech-Larkin-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Fabbri-Zadina
Timashov-Filppula-Helm
Nielsen-Glendening-Abdelkader
Erne/Ehn

Dekeyser-Seider
Nemeth-Hronek
Cholowski-UFA
Biega

Bernier/UFA

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Svech-Larkin-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Fabbri-Zadina
Timashov-Filppula-Helm
Nielsen-Glendening-Abdelkader
Erne/Ehn

Dekeyser-Seider
Nemeth-Hronek
Cholowski-UFA
Biega

Bernier/UFA
Abby over Brome?
Cholo isn't NHL ready, Erne is useless.

We've already hashed through this like 3 times, so I'm copying my own previous post here:

Fabbri hasn't looked all that impressive playing with Larkin, and Zadina needs to earn top line role. Start the rookies down lower and let them work their way up.

Start of season will probably looks something like:
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Zadina-Flip-Fabbri (Flip with the veteran defensive "presence" because you know that's going to happen)
Helm-Raz-Svech (Helm with the veteran defensive "presence" because you know that's also going to happen)
Timashov-LGD- Brome (LGD with the veteran defensive "presence" because you know that's going to happen again, lol)
Ehn, Nielsen, Abby (sent to GR who might not be playing)

DDK-Hronek
Nemeth-Lindstrom
UFA-Biega/Bowey
Would prefer to see Sieder, but I get the feeling they're gonna let him play the whole season with Mannheim

Helm, LGD, Nemeth, and Flip all traded at TDL.

Zadina-Larkin-Mantha (I think Zadina moves up)
Bert-Fabbri-Svech (Svech moves up if his knee holds up)
Timashov-Raz-Brome (Timashov replaces Helm)
Smith-Ehn-Pearson or some other warm body (Is Nielsen still warm?)

DDK-Hronek
UFA-Lindstrom
Cholo-Biega/Bowey (Cholo set to fail again, poor kid)
Defense set for another tank, wow.

Not terribly excited about next season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't want Seider to make it. He needs AHL time to work on his offensive game. If we bring him up now, he might never become that #1. He needs reps. 30 min a night in every situation.
Strong disagree. He'll develop that in the NHL as well. It might be a Victor Hedman type timeline, don't expect a Quinn Hughes offensive outburst as a rookie.

He's strong enough defensively, physically and in terms of his skating, puck management and passing to log a lot of NHL minutes from the getgo. The AHL is usually more important as a development league for players that need to work on aspects like defense, checking, physicality etc., it's too high level for a player to truly go crazy with the offensive game and develop in that regard. Rather, the offense tends to come for players in the AHL when they adjust to the speed, get stronger, and start playing a pro game. Seider has those things down.

Too bad we passed on Cozens and Zegras, i still have Seider in 10-15 range, because his offensive upside Is very low considering he was drafted 6th overall.
His offensive upside is fine. He's not a 4th forward or someone that will bring value only on a powerplay. Compare him more to guys like Hedman, Suter, Lindholm, Chara, Parayko, Doughty, Carlo etc.
It's not all about the scoring. But really, compared to other guys that have played in the AHL at 18-19, he scored really well this season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I start all of Zadina, Cholowski, Svechnikov, Seider and Rasmussen, with Veleno staying all year in the AHL (If/When they play). Don't see Lindstrom as an NHL player from what I have seen so far, at least not a regular full-timer. Givani Smith, is an if he earns his way on he gets to play if not back to the AHL. The #4 pick needs to absolutely be ready to go, but more than likely back to junior is the best option.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I have a feeling that both Bromé, Smith and Ehn might be on the roster. None of them will be more than a role player in the long run, so limited ice time will not hinder any development. Zadina, Raz and Veleno have higher potential and will therefore need top minutes in the A.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I start all of Zadina, Cholowski, Svechnikov, Seider and Rasmussen, with Veleno staying all year in the AHL (If/When they play). Don't see Lindstrom as an NHL player from what I have seen so far, at least not a regular full-timer. Givani Smith, is an if he earns his way on he gets to play if not back to the AHL. The #4 pick needs to absolutely be ready to go, but more than likely back to junior is the best option.

Ummm, Mr. Raymond is a professional hockey player!

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Strong disagree. He'll develop that in the NHL as well. It might be a Victor Hedman type timeline, don't expect a Quinn Hughes offensive outburst as a rookie.

He's strong enough defensively, physically and in terms of his skating, puck management and passing to log a lot of NHL minutes from the getgo. The AHL is usually more important as a development league for players that need to work on aspects like defense, checking, physicality etc., it's too high level for a player to truly go crazy with the offensive game and develop in that regard. Rather, the offense tends to come for players in the AHL when they adjust to the speed, get stronger, and start playing a pro game. Seider has those things down.

His offensive upside is fine. He's not a 4th forward or someone that will bring value only on a powerplay. Compare him more to guys like Hedman, Suter, Lindholm, Chara, Parayko, Doughty, Carlo etc.
It's not all about the scoring. But really, compared to other guys that have played in the AHL at 18-19, he scored really well this season.
I would like some of that Parayko or Chara please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad