WHL trade deadline chatter

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Very quiet on the trade and rumour front. Not sure if teams are still trying to get deals done or are all the major deals are done. Anybody hear anything
Look for dman Jeremy Hanzel from Seattle to be traded for a hefty return

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
What is the point of the WHL transactions page when it still, as of Monday morning, doesn't even list the Ashton Cumby trade that was made on Thursday according to the Wild website? Get your act together WHL.

I'd be shocked if PG and Med Hat didn't make some moves before the deadline. They must both have a plethora of picks burning a hole in their pockets from their lean years.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Not sure why Portland and even Everett try to improve. Most teams are not afraid to trade draft choices because those can mostly be recouped in another year or two. For example trading a number1 pick in 2026 gives the tram 2 drafts to get the pick back. Load up unload is cyclical in the WHL. Not to devalue draft picks because that is how most teams build their lineups, but most teams will trade them to load up.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Pats trade D man Jaren Brinson to Victoria for picks. Brinson played 13 games last season under James Patrick's tutelage for the ICE here in magnificent Winnipeg.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Very quiet on the trade and rumour front. Not sure if teams are still trying to get deals done or are all the major deals are done. Anybody hear anything
WHL trade deadline action takes place after the weekend. Last year there were 20 trades made on the 8th, 9th and 10th. Expect to see the big deals come in the next 72 hours.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Tschigel to Lethbridge. Pretty good 20 year old to acquire.

For sure. So weird when such longtime fixtures get traded though. This is Tschigerl's sixth season with the Hitmen (the first season was just 8 games, but still). That MF practically IS Hitmen hockey.

Interesting trade considering Leth is only 3 points up on the Hitmen, though.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Very quiet day on the trade front. Teams must be sitting until the last moment trying to maximize the returns they get for players or the contending teams are satisfied with their rosters.

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
I wonder if anymore major pieces are moved. Still 2 days left. Trades are slowly trickling in.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Not entirely sure giving up two 2nds and two 3rds is a smart move for Lethbridge. Absolute best case scenario for them is getting to the 2nd round.

Edit: Well I see they just got a 2nd and a 3rd back by moving Zimmer to Vancouver.

Last edited:
Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Not entirely sure giving up two 2nds and two 3rds is a smart move for Lethbridge. Absolute best case scenario for them is getting to the 2nd round.

Edit: Well I see they just got a 2nd and a 3rd back by moving Zimmer to Vancouver.
Where are you seeing these transactions.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012

Vancouver lol going absolutley nowhere.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I have head that some team has put together a nice package for Danielson. I am assuming its Portland and with how the Wheat Kings have been since he has been gone I am not sure if they actually need to just make the playoffs.

I also know they really want a good team aroud Jacobson so I guess we will see what happens
I think this would be a great strategy and got me to wondering which group of young forwards is better going forward, Brandon or Medicine Hat?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Reading some of the analysis of the Geekie/Savoie trades, the point has been made that Wenatchee's picks are so depleted that they can't make any impactful trades at the deadline this year. So that swayed them into becoming sellers.
Wenatchee got killer value for Geekie IMO and more overall than in the Savoie trade.
What were they lacking, though? Seemed to me that Wenatchee had enough horsepower to make a legitimate run to the conference finals where they'd likely have to deal with PG, but again, it's not like PG is unstoppable.
Your premise is awesome if they win the championship but the future is 100% and they went for the future.

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
What is the point of the WHL transactions page when it still, as of Monday morning, doesn't even list the Ashton Cumby trade that was made on Thursday according to the Wild website? Get your act together WHL.

I'd be shocked if PG and Med Hat didn't make some moves before the deadline. They must both have a plethora of picks burning a hole in their pockets from their lean years.
Could see Med Hat loading up next year, be an absolute wagon of a team.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Wenatchee got killer value for Geekie IMO and more overall than in the Savoie trade.

Your premise is awesome if they win the championship but the future is 100% and they went for the future.

I guess the Wild did take a bird in the hand since once Savoie and Geekie were gone they would lose a lot of their leverage to try and recoup draft picks. But still, it is a bit painful to see a team that looked poised to do big things this season basically broken up for parts before the playoff race even heated up. I'm not sure how many people in Wenatchee were ardent WHL followers but what a letdown it must be to see Savoie and Geekie shipped out, and Benson never even hitting the ice for the Wild in a regular season game. No doubt those trades will speed up the rebuild but it seems crazy that the Wild didn't want to make one more push with the core that they had.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Broncos (accidentally) posted on Instagram that they picked up Tyson Galloway from Calgary for Tyson Laventure and a 2026 2nd.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad