WHL trade deadline chatter

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Savoie to Moose Jaw and Geekie to Swift are two trades that sound like are happening after World Juniors. Curious to see if Wenatchee offloads anyone else.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Savoie to Moose Jaw and Geekie to Swift are two trades that sound like are happening after World Juniors. Curious to see if Wenatchee offloads anyone else.

Why would Wenatchee be in sell mode at this point? They have the horses to make a real push. I think they can delay being a seller for now, next season is when the fire sale begins.

I have to admit though, that if Sav goes to MJ I am going to adopt the Warriors as my team for the rest of this season, haha

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Why would Wenatchee be in sell mode at this point? They have the horses to make a real push. I think they can delay being a seller for now, next season is when the fire sale begins.

I have to admit though, that if Sav goes to MJ I am going to adopt the Warriors as my team for the rest of this season, haha
Because if they don't sell, they will be bottom feeders for years. They have no draft picks and no high-end talent in the pipeline. They have to trade their top guys if they hope to be competitive in the near future.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Because if they don't sell, they will be bottom feeders for years. They have no draft picks and no high-end talent in the pipeline. They have to trade their top guys if they hope to be competitive in the near future.
I think that ship has sailed, they are looking at a several year rebuild either way. From a business standpoint I think there is some merit to making a playoff run to engage the fanbase before checking out for a while... It seems to me that Wenatchee hasn't exactly gone crazy for the WHL iteration of the Wild, they need a little sizzle to excite the fans.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
I think that ship has sailed, they are looking at a several year rebuild either way. From a business standpoint I think there is some merit to making a playoff run to engage the fanbase before checking out for a while... It seems to me that Wenatchee hasn't exactly gone crazy for the WHL iteration of the Wild, they need a little sizzle to excite the fans.
But if they're looking at rebuilding for years, would you rather do that with their current assets? Or with 4+ first round picks, multiple 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks and young roster players that they'll get from trading their top players?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I expect the following players to be moved

Connor Levis - Kamloops
Jordan Gustafson - Seattle
Nico Myatovic - Seattle
Jeremy Hanzel - Seattle
Connor Roulette - Spokane
Sean Tschigerl - Calgary

Mind I am not sure if Seattle moves all of those players but they would get good returns for them

I am sure we will see a few more go from different teams but those are the big fish I think

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Sounds like Swift is getting Jakub Dvorak after World Juniors. Big addition on the backend, especially with the rumoured package for Geekie including a few D.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021

Sort of agree with Moose Sause. They will make the playoffs and have a good chance to make 2 rounds. Why not make some coin for 4-6 games and give the fan base some excitement. Even more so if they can play US clubs. US fans like seeing US clubs. They started off with a bit of stink with the coach situation. Maybe they wait until its an offer to good to turn down, picks and players.

Then again, VIC broke the mold for selling and still coming out better during the SAME season. Always a bit tougher doing it trade deadline day and waiting for the gel to happen,

Reactions: wetcoast

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021

Connor Levis - Kamloops
Nico Myatovic - Seattle
Jeremy Hanzel - Seattle
Sean Tschigerl - Calgary

Mind I am not sure if Seattle moves all of those players but they would get good returns for them

I am sure we will see a few more go from different teams but those are the big fish I think
Myatovic must be injured, no games with anybody

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Anyone heard any rumours of possible WheatKings moves or do they stay the course as the their best players are 17 and 18. Also Jacobson will be full time next year.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012

Connor Levis - Kamloops
Nico Myatovic - Seattle
Jeremy Hanzel - Seattle
Sean Tschigerl - Calgary

I wonder if Kamloops can get their draft pick back from Everett.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Sort of agree with Moose Sause. They will make the playoffs and have a good chance to make 2 rounds. Why not make some coin for 4-6 games and give the fan base some excitement. Even more so if they can play US clubs. US fans like seeing US clubs. They started off with a bit of stink with the coach situation. Maybe they wait until its an offer to good to turn down, picks and players.

I could understand selling if the Wild were a mid team but they have a shot at a title, they are contenders. This is probably the last year where they can say that. If a rebuild is inevitable, why not pack the barn with a playoff run one last time before the lean years begin. I would imagine ownership would be interested in making some money to soften the blow of what's coming.

If the Wild get rid of guys like Savoie and Geekie they will last one round in the playoffs. That's passing on a lot of playoff revenue.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I could understand selling if the Wild were a mid team but they have a shot at a title, they are contenders. This is probably the last year where they can say that. If a rebuild is inevitable, why not pack the barn with a playoff run one last time before the lean years begin. I would imagine ownership would be interested in making some money to soften the blow of what's coming.

If the Wild get rid of guys like Savoie and Geekie they will last one round in the playoffs. That's passing on a lot of playoff revenue.
But then all their big assets that will set them up for years will be gone and they wint be able to grow the fan base long term

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
But then all their big assets that will set them up for years will be gone and they wint be able to grow the fan base long term

It's going to happen either way, even trading Savoie and Geekie as rentals isn't going to stop their inevitable steep decline at this point. Might as well squeeze out one good long run playoff run before that happens.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
It's going to happen either way, even trading Savoie and Geekie as rentals isn't going to stop their inevitable steep decline at this point. Might as well squeeze out one good long run playoff run before that happens.
We just agree to disagree. I think it would be irresponsible to go for it for a THIRD year in a row for that franchise. All you do is completely cripple yourself for the next 4+ years.

They just moved there, they need to think long-term sustainability. Tough to do that with no assets and an incredibly bleak on-ice future if they don't sell the farm and recoup draft picks.

Reactions: Juniorhockeyguru

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Regina Pats fire sale today.

Out:
Parker Berge (03)
Borya Valis (04)
Alexander Suzdalev (04, in Sweden)
2025 6th.

In:
Ty Gibson (03)
Zach Moore (06)
Dayton Deschamps (07, unsigned)
Samuel Barcik (05)
Tyson Buczkowski (06)
2024 4th (PG)
2025 2nd (EVT)
2025 4th (SAS)
2026 1st, 3rd (SAS)
2026 3rd (PG)

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Jeff Marek says

Geekie to Swift Current
Savoie to MJ
Danielson to Portland

Damn. I was seriously expecting Wenatchee to make a playoff push but I'm fine with getting Geeks and Sav the hell out of there so the Wild can go down in the first round haha

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
OK, it's clear from the Wenatchee Wild website that they are preparing their fanbase for some big trades to replenish the draft cupboard

Further, of the league’s top 50 scorers, 41 were selected in the WHL Prospects Draft – more than half of those 41 players were taken in the first round and two-thirds were taken in the first two rounds. Only three of those 41 players were selected past the fifth round. This simply means once again that in order to consistently have competitive talent on the Wild roster, having high-round draft picks is a necessity.

I guess I don't have to worry about the mental anguish of watching the Wild parading around the Ed Chynoweth Cup the year after leaving Winnipeg lol

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The latest installment of As The Wild Turns

I guess the big trades are coming. Personally I think it's foolish to squander a first place team without a playoff run since the rebuild is inevitable either way. And there is no super-team like Edmonton or Seattle to contend with as in the past.

All this kind of underscores the tragic fate of the team that came to Winnipeg in 2019. Playoffs wiped out by COVID in 2020 and 2021, two great runs without a championship, and now instead of one final hurrah the team is going to be carved up for parts in Wenatchee. Pretty sad. In an alternate universe this team should have won a couple of WHL titles and a Mem Cup.

Last edited:

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
The latest installment of As The Wild Turns

I guess the big trades are coming. Personally I think it's foolish to squander a first place team without a playoff run since the rebuild is inevitable either way. And there is no super-team like Edmonton or Seattle to contend with as in the past.

All this kind of underscores the tragic fate of the team that came to Winnipeg in 2019. Playoffs wiped out by COVID in 2020 and 2021, two great runs without a championship, and now instead of one final hurrah the team is going to be carved up for parts in Wenatchee. Pretty sad. In an alternate universe this team should have won a couple of WHL titles and a Mem Cup.
I don't know if you're truly grasping just how bad Wenatchee would be if they don't make these moves. We're talking 2018-19 and 2019-20 Swift Current Broncos levels of ineptitude. They went a a combined 21-99-6-5 in the two years following their championship. You simply cannot ice a team like that in a new city.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have head that some team has put together a nice package for Danielson. I am assuming its Portland and with how the Wheat Kings have been since he has been gone I am not sure if they actually need to just make the playoffs.

I also know they really want a good team aroud Jacobson so I guess we will see what happens

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I don't know if you're truly grasping just how bad Wenatchee would be if they don't make these moves. We're talking 2018-19 and 2019-20 Swift Current Broncos levels of ineptitude. They went a a combined 21-99-6-5 in the two years following their championship. You simply cannot ice a team like that in a new city.
They're going through a rebuild either way, though. There's no way they can remain competitive as there is a gap between the current crop that's maturing and the resumption of draft picks given that Matt Cockell traded so many away over the past few seasons in Winnipeg.. The issue is whether they shorten the timeline of the rebuild by selling the farm for draft picks now, or take a shot at a championship now at the cost of extending the rebuild and hitting lower depths (like, as you mention, a SC style single-digit win season or two).

I get what Wenatchee is doing but I am kind of surprised they don't want to make a push for a championship run given that there won't be another one for years to come. tbh I wonder how things are going to go for the Wenatchee organization given that the attendance has been soft by US division standards and that's with a great team... the team is going to get a hell of a lot worse from here, and will be over the next several seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad