WHL Draft live- (now)

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
You are correct, but its a slightly different criteria. NHL is looking ahead 4-5 years at least and is really basing it on future potential. Junior leagues are more concerned with the next 2-3 years. Also, junior teams may actually shy away from a player if he is too good. In otherwords, they might feel a kid will jump to the NHL soon as he is drafted, so the kid who is good but stays for 4 years of junior is actually more valuable.

I agree with Andy.......this does not happen.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Jakob 'Jake' Virtanen is dual citizen FIN/CAN. Has Finnish dad and French-Canadian mom according to @OnsideWithJouni

Get him to play for Finland!!!

Highly doubt that...

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
These drafts are a real crap shoot....much more difficult than the NHL.

The likes of Iginla, D. Tucker, S. Doan, J. Lupul, D. Hamhuis, S. Upshall, J. Friesen, J. Woywitka etc. were never drafted but went on to star in the WHL and then byd to pro.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
These drafts are a real crap shoot....much more difficult than the NHL.

The likes of Iginla, D. Tucker, S. Doan, J. Lupul, D. Hamhuis, S. Upshall, J. Friesen, J. Woywitka etc. were never drafted but went on to star in the WHL and then byd to pro.
Some players develop later than others like the ones you mentioned as well as Ryan Johansen and Milan Lucic. But WHL scouts really do a good job as a lot of the kids drafted in the 1st round go on to bigger better things.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Some players develop later than others like the ones you mentioned as well as Ryan Johansen and Milan Lucic. But WHL scouts really do a good job as a lot of the kids drafted in the 1st round go on to bigger better things.

Johansen was drafted by Portland......Lucic was not.

I am not dissing WHL scouts just hiliting how difficult a job they have with kids at this age.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Johansen was drafted by Portland......Lucic was not.

I am not dissing WHL scouts just hiliting how difficult a job they have with kids at this age.

Johansen was barely even drafted. He was selected in the last couple rounds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad