TSN: WHKY - 200+ Players Boycott NA Professional Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Just breaking from Bob McKenzie - over 200 professional women's hockey players, led by Hilary Knight, Kendall Coyne Schofield, and Shannon Szabados - have announced that they will not play professional hockey in North America until women's hockey gets the resources it deserves.

The full article is here: https://www.tsn.ca/more-than-200-players-call-for-overhaul-of-women-s-pro-hockey-1.1299658
“We will not play in ANY professional leagues in North America this season until we get the resources that professional hockey demands and deserves,” says a prepared statement released Thursday morning by a group of women players that is believed to number at least 200.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I'm a little confused - is someone conspiring against them to withhold funds? What resources do they get now, what do they deserve, and what is the reason for the gap? Are NWHL teams making bank and sitting on huge profits while not paying them? Are they asking the NHL for more money? I don't think the NHL has a duty to give x amount of dollars to a different league, even though I would generally applaud them for doing so.

It wouldn't be surprising if ultimately the lack of money in women's hockey is because of lack of interest/demand, unfortunately.

When I get back to BUF I'll buy some Beauts merchandise and season tickets.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm a little confused - is someone conspiring against them to withhold funds? What resources do they get now, what do they deserve, and what is the reason for the gap? Are NWHL teams making bank and sitting on huge profits while not paying them? Are they asking the NHL for more money? I don't think the NHL has a duty to give x amount of dollars to a different league, even though I would generally applaud them for doing so.

It wouldn't be surprising if ultimately the lack of money in women's hockey is because of lack of interest/demand, unfortunately.

“We cannot make a sustainable living playing in the current state of the professional game,” the statement adds. “Having no health insurance and making as low as two thousand dollars a season means players can’t adequately train and prepare to play at the highest level.”

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

The interest/demand thing is a chicken and egg issue for women's sports. There is so little in the way of investors, sponsors, coverage, that people just straight up aren't informed. I would bet a good amount of money the vast majority of Americans didn't even know a professional women's hockey league existed.

Every 4 years hockey fans praise the quality of women's hockey at the Olympics. Can't tell me these people straight up won't watch a properly marketed league with actual investment.

Burgmania

Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY

It really goes back to when the NWHL was founded - they were the first professional league in NA to pay their players. Companies have now (after the CWHL folded) said they didn't want to show favorites by sponsoring one league over the other - so getting sponsorships had been difficult. The NWHL halved player salaries in their second year to ensure the league could stay afloat, which "left a bad taste" in Hilary Knight's mouth - the next season, she was with Les Canadiennes. This past season, it was reported that teams had a salary cap of $100K.

In the players' statement today, they said they want to be able to make a living playing hockey - just like men do. As low as $2,000 a year and inadequate insurance isn't going to cut it anymore.

As far as what the future looks like, some players have said they want a NHL-backed league. Gary Bettman has said repeatedly that the NHL would only step in if there were no other professional league. Right now, the NWHL is the only thing standing in the way. Note that the statement today does not specifically mention the NHL - but you'd have to think they're part of the discussion.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
@Husko
I read that. If the NWHL and franchises are sitting on money that would allow for this treatment, and aren't, they'd have to be violating some sort of labor law, so you'd think that the statement would include things like profit margins and numbers, but this is all incredibly vague.

It certainly might be possible for the league as it stands to provide a living wage to these hockey players, and if it did, it would be really easy to present that information, so I'm wondering where it is.

Burgmania

Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
@Husko
I read that. If the NWHL and franchises are sitting on money that would allow for this treatment, and aren't, they'd have to be violating some sort of labor law, so you'd think that the statement would include things like profit margins and numbers, but this is all incredibly vague.

It certainly might be possible for the league as it stands to provide a living wage to these hockey players, and if it did, it would be really easy to present that information, so I'm wondering where it is.

I don't profess to be 'in the know' when it comes to the League's finances - after all, I'm just the arena announcer & DJ - but my gut says that they haven't had the ability to do so thus far.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The interest/demand thing is a chicken and egg issue for women's sports. There is so little in the way of investors, sponsors, coverage, that people just straight up aren't informed. I would bet a good amount of money the vast majority of Americans didn't even know a professional women's hockey league existed.

Every 4 years hockey fans praise the quality of women's hockey at the Olympics. Can't tell me these people straight up won't watch a properly marketed league with actual investment.
So I'd presume that when the league actually generates revenue and can pay the players more, it will do that. Is the boycott an effort to make someone invest, then? Do you think it'll work? I honestly have no idea, I'm legit asking.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I don't profess to be 'in the know' when it comes to the League's finances - after all, I'm just the arena announcer & DJ - but my gut says that they haven't had the ability to do so thus far.
I'd guess the same thing based on how empty the arenas have looked in the game I've watched. I just couldn't tell if there was an accusation of nefarious actions here.

I'd maybe argue that it's likely they currently are getting the resources they deserve, based on revenue generated as a form of entertainment. So perhaps this is a call for the league to be better at marketing and gaining investments, to open up the opportunity to make a lot more.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
A relatively small investment could go a long way. Great way to get more people involved in hockey as well. Nevermind that it pretty much would guarantee you guys olympic medals.

In Sweden there’s a severe lack of female hockey players right now, HV71 needs to fill about 13 spots on their roster. Hopefully they have some guts and invest in a couple of the players on strike to get a free gold medal.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
So I'd presume that when the league actually generates revenue and can pay the players more, it will do that. Is the boycott an effort to make someone invest, then? Do you think it'll work? I honestly have no idea, I'm legit asking.
I'm hoping, but I'm not overly familiar with the US sports environment. I think the product is good, that's a good base. But you guys are too good at every sport so people might just always opt into only watching the men's game, idk. At least that's always what I'm told when I tell people to try watching.

Reactions: GellMann

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Players holding out generally only works if there is a lot of money on the table to get management to improve working conditions.

In the case of professional women's hockey, that doesn't appear to be the case.

There is one player making an off the record comment that points to the women that started this hoping that the NHL and the NHLPA makes supporting a new "WNHL" part of the next NHLPA-NHL CBA.

I'm not sure that will take place.

It might take a player, or group of players, working to build something like what Paul Rabil is building "For The Players" with the Premier Lacrosse League that is kicking off this summer.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
source.gif

A lot of people do.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A lot of people do.

To date, not enough people have proven they care by spending time and money on women's pro hockey.

Pro sports in general are hard to get right outside of the big, entrenched leagues.

Just look at all the time and money it took to get MLS to where it is today.

Look at how pro men's lacrosse players just play in weekend leagues indoor and outdoor and don't get a lot of the stuff that these women are looking for.

Pro sports are an entertainment business. You need someone willing to lose a lot of money with a hope of one day making money.

Who will that be? The women hope that the NHL will do it. But, will they?

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I really don't understand why the NHL isn't investing heavily in this league. Players don't need to be millionaires but they should receive enough to get by and compete at the highest level. Cross promotion opportunities will grow both leagues (how many women may start as rec players/fans of the Women's game and become avid NHL fans?). Women's hockey could be a big gateway into huge markets like China that we know the NHL wants to ramp up its presence in.

It will take time to grow and develop this league/business...I understand why many are hesitant, but with some creativity and long term strategic planning this could really work out for whoever (NHL) is willing to eat the initial loss.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
After all of the financial troubles the NBA has had with the WNBA, the NHL would be idiotic to invest in a professional women’s hockey. It’s a different game and the demand clearly isn’t there. Sure, fans may tune in and watch women’s hockey during the Olympics but: 1. It’s the Olympics, people watch a lot of sports they wouldn’t watch otherwise; 2. It’s USA vs. Canada, many of us would tune in to support our national team in any event.

There’s also just not enough young girls playing hockey and I don’t believe we will ever get enough young girls to play hockey. One of the reason women’s soccer has been very popular is because of the large number of women who play or have played the game in the U.S.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I really don't understand why the NHL isn't investing heavily in this league. Players don't need to be millionaires but they should receive enough to get by and compete at the highest level. Cross promotion opportunities will grow both leagues (how many women may start as rec players/fans of the Women's game and become avid NHL fans?). Women's hockey could be a big gateway into huge markets like China that we know the NHL wants to ramp up its presence in.

It will take time to grow and develop this league/business...I understand why many are hesitant, but with some creativity and long term strategic planning this could really work out for whoever (NHL) is willing to eat the initial loss.

My guess is that the NHL owners don't believe the upside outpaces the downside in this area.

Kim Pegula might be the best hope for something happening. This movement will need someone within the NHL to be a champion for the cause.

I don't see Bettman or Fehr championing this cause. But, maybe they will surprise me.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
After all of the financial troubles the NBA has had with the WNBA, the NHL would be idiotic to invest in a professional women’s hockey. It’s a different game and the demand clearly isn’t there. Sure, fans may tune in and watch women’s hockey during the Olympics but: 1. It’s the Olympics, people watch a lot of sports they wouldn’t watch otherwise; 2. It’s USA vs. Canada, many of us would tune in to support our national team in any event.

There’s also just not enough young girls playing hockey and I don’t believe we will ever get enough young girls to play hockey. One of the reason women’s soccer has been very popular is because of the large number of women who play or have played the game in the U.S.
What financial troubles?

And I wonder how all those girls started playing soccer...

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
My guess is that the NHL owners don't believe the upside outpaces the downside in this area.

Kim Pegula might be the best hope for something happening. This movement will need someone within the NHL to be a champion for the cause.

I don't see Bettman or Fehr championing this cause. But, maybe they will surprise me.

It will be a money pit for awhile...no illusions to the contrary that is for sure. The big payoff will be if they can attract players from overseas and penetrate huge markets like China...In fact, I would say China really is the end goal to all of this for both the Women's and Men's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad