OT: White House warns that Russian invasion of Ukraine may happen any day now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I haven't seen anything posted and I know that talking politics is normally verbotten... but this is different.

Frankly, to me this is scary stuff. On a side note, if you think consumer prices and inflation is high now... wait till this invasion happens. They are forecasting oil to increase to $160USD a barrel. If oil goes up... so does everything else.
The US is telling its citizens to get out of the Ukraine within the next 24-48 hours latest.

Reactions: SpitfireG

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Russian invasion of Ukraine started in 2014.

I grew up in a smallish town less than 100km from the Russian border. I was conscripted to Border guard for the military service and spent a lot of time walking in the woods around the border there. My summer cottage is 50km from the Russian border. I just hope that things don't escalate, but if they do there's not much I can do. I try to not think about this too much but I just cant help it.

On the other hand if there's only some "minor stuff" going on, Finland should be ok as they are part of the EU. If EU is involved in a military crisis on any sort it's basically WW3.

I've also met a lot of Russian people over the years. Love the people, love the (high) culture, love the food, and really dislike the leaders they currently have. Russian people deserve better.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Love discussing politics, so I'll jump in. If Russia is deciding to make their move (which makes sense given the fact that they are massing troops in the border), sooner is better than later.

Russia is facing imminent demographic collapse, specifically in their ethnic Russian population. If Putin is deciding to make the move, the longer he waits, the harder it is for the Russian state to afford those losses.

The only question in my eyes is if they take the largely ethnic Russian provinces in Eastern Ukraine, or if they decide to cross the Dneiper and make a rush towards Kyiv. We'll find out soon enough...

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Love discussing politics, so I'll jump in. If Russia is deciding to make their move (which makes sense given the fact that they are massing troops in the border), sooner is better than later.

Russia is facing imminent demographic collapse, specifically in their ethnic Russian population. If Putin is deciding to make the move, the longer he waits, the harder it is for the Russian state to afford those losses.

The only question in my eyes is if they take the largely ethnic Russian provinces in Eastern Ukraine, or if they decide to cross the Dneiper and make a rush towards Kyiv. We'll find out soon enough...
Probably the former.... for now. I heard that in order to take and hold (hold is the important part) Russia would need at least 600,000 troops to quell resistance and such.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Probably the former.... for now. I heard that in order to take and hold (hold is the important part) Russia would need at least 600,000 troops to quell resistance and such.

I could see Russia attempting to impose a puppet gov in Kyiv that is pro-Russia, but I agree they won't be trying to hold all that territory directly.

I do wonder what the implications are for Belarus as well...

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Russian invasion of Ukraine started in 2014.

I grew up in a smallish town less than 100km from the Russian border. I was conscripted to Border guard for the military service and spent a lot of time walking in the woods around the border there. My summer cottage is 50km from the Russian border. I just hope that things don't escalate, but if they do there's not much I can do. I try to not think about this too much but I just cant help it.

On the other hand if there's only some "minor stuff" going on, Finland should be ok as they are part of the EU. If EU is involved in a military crisis on any sort it's basically WW3.

I've also met a lot of Russian people over the years. Love the people, love the (high) culture, love the food, and really dislike the leaders they currently have. Russian people deserve better.

Have you ever gone into Russia?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I haven't seen anything posted and I know that talking politics is normally verbotten... but this is different.

Frankly, to me this is scary stuff. On a side note, if you think consumer prices and inflation is high now... wait till this invasion happens. They are forecasting oil to increase to $160USD a barrel. If oil goes up... so does everything else.
The US is telling its citizens to get out of the Ukraine within the next 24-48 hours latest.

US is the same country that said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, invaded the country, killed tens of thousands of people, destroyed the whole country and 20 years later, the US has not showed one "weapon of mass destruction" from Iraq.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
US is the same country that said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, invaded the country, killed tens of thousands of people, destroyed the whole country and 20 years later, the US has not showed one "weapon of mass destruction" from Iraq.
So what exactly are you saying? Its a lie? Russia has no invasion plans?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Biden is weak. Putin is just going to have what he wants.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Russia is not invading Ukraine. Get real guys. It’s not happening. The Americans are trying to instigate a war.STOP BELIEVING WHAT MAINSTREAM MEDIA IS SAYING! ITS A LIE! RUSSIA GAINS NOTHING FROM A UKRAINIAN INVASION!

Reactions: Lemonlimey

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They all lie. Wars are all about money.

Reactions: viper0220

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Russia is not invading Ukraine. Get real guys. It’s not happening. The Americans are trying to instigate a war.STOP BELIEVING WHAT MAINSTREAM MEDIA IS SAYING! ITS A LIE! RUSSIA GAINS NOTHING FROM A UKRAINIAN INVASION!
I agreed with the lying mainstream media. Tell us what is really going on?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I agreed with the lying mainstream media. Tell us what is really going on?

USA wants to instigate a war to justify shutting down nord stream 2. USA doesnt want to see Europe rely on Russian gas. media continues to lie about the Russian build up. Puppet Ukraine leader also said there no threat of an Russian invasionZ The Russian army near that border has been there for ages. USA also wants to use Russia as so called enemy of the USA them and China is their new Cold War. They want to blame everything on those countries. The failed coupe attempt in khazakstan was one of the biggest failures of the American empire.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
USA wants to instigate a war to justify shutting down nord stream 2. USA doesnt want to see Europe rely on Russian gas. media continues to lie about the Russian build up. Puppet Ukraine leader also said there no threat of an Russian invasionZ The Russian army near that border has been there for ages. USA also wants to use Russia as so called enemy of the USA them and China is their new Cold War. They want to blame everything on those countries. The failed coupe attempt in khazakstan was one of the biggest failures of the American empire.

This pretty sums it up.

The Bidens(especially Hunter Bidens) and others around him, have made millions in Ukraine.

The "aid" that is being sent to Ukraine by US is being taken by the likes o Hunter Biden.

Reactions: DFF

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Russia hasn't been backed into a corner. Their economy is terrible and they've done a terrible job managing Covid. Putin needs something to distract. He's also trying to exploit a weak United States by testing the resolve and unity of NATO. People need to know that Russia (Putin) uses the USA as the boogeyman for all of their problems.

Ukraine is also too corrupt to be accepted into NATO. They've had 6 years to get their defenses built and their house in order and they haven't done either. They're sitting there hoping NATO will defend them when they aren't a member. It's not going to happen.

Somebody's rant above said something about Nord Stream. Notice how Kiev wants Washington to sanction Nord Stream immediately but NOT Gazprom. That's because Kiev wants Moscow to pay transit fees for her gas to Western Europe through Ukrainian territories. Kiev isn't ready for NATO membership by a long shot. They tried to screw Moscow out of money and still owe $billions to Gazprom (stole gas meant for Western Europe). The EU ruled in Moscow's favor and had to guarantee payments for what Kiev stole to get the gas flowing again. That's why Nord Stream was built. To bypass the Ukrainian thievery.

I want everyone to clearly understand what we are talking about, too, because I doubt many actually do. Ukraine isn't worth WWIII. If we get into a shooting war with Putin, it will go nuclear. We cannot stop the loss of the NATO Baltic States without nukes and Russian armies cannot escape destruction from NATO counter-attacks without nukes. There is zero ways for either side to achieve a conventional military victory.

Ukraine, Crimea, Donbas, Georgia aren't worth WWIII. The Baltic States are. Why? They signed on the dotted line.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Russia hasn't been backed into a corner. Their economy is terrible and they've done a terrible job managing Covid. Putin needs something to distract. He's also trying to exploit a weak United States by testing the resolve and unity of NATO. People need to know that Russia (Putin) uses the USA as the boogeyman for all of their problems.

Ukraine is also too corrupt to be accepted into NATO. They've had 6 years to get their defenses built and their house in order and they haven't done either. They're sitting there hoping NATO will defend them when they aren't a member. It's not going to happen.

Somebody's rant above said something about Nord Stream. Notice how Kiev wants Washington to sanction Nord Stream immediately but NOT Gazprom. That's because Kiev wants Moscow to pay transit fees for her gas to Western Europe through Ukrainian territories. Kiev isn't ready for NATO membership by a long shot. They tried to screw Moscow out of money and still owe $billions to Gazprom (stole gas meant for Western Europe). The EU ruled in Moscow's favor and had to guarantee payments for what Kiev stole to get the gas flowing again. That's why Nord Stream was built. To bypass the Ukrainian thievery.

I want everyone to clearly understand what we are talking about, too, because I doubt many actually do. Ukraine isn't worth WWIII. If we get into a shooting war with Putin, it will go nuclear. We cannot stop the loss of the NATO Baltic States without nukes and Russian armies cannot escape destruction from NATO counter-attacks without nukes. There is zero ways for either side to achieve a conventional military victory.

Ukraine, Crimea, Donbas, Georgia aren't worth WWIII. The Baltic States are. Why? They signed on the dotted line.

Pretty much this. If Putin is going to make the move, there is little the west can (and will) do.

Also idk what Biden's dealings in Ukraine have to do with Russian aggression in the region lol. Putin himself stated last summer he believed Ukraine and Russia were intertwined nations.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
lol there won't be a world war over Ukraine. They're not even a part of NATO. Any invasion by Russia would at most be treated like their invasion of Afghanistan; supplying and funding local forces to do all the actual fighting.

Russia wants Ukraine for historical territorial reasons, to act as a buffer against the west, and probably for population reasons too. Russia's facing a growing population crisis which was only made worse by covid. Turns out societies built around the need for populations to constantly grow aren't viable. Surprise surprise.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wow. What are you going to tell us all when Russia does invade Ukraine? Fake news from the media? Like the moon landing?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Russia is being backed into a corner. I don't blame them flexing some might. NATO should back off.
Also delusional. How is Russai backed into a corner? All they have to do is to play nice in the sandbox. But they don't really play nice with other do they? Never have, never will. Especially with communists like Putin running the show.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Ukraine should be added to NATO, the more countries in our pact the better. Strength in numbers
How would USA react if Canada joined to Russian military alliance?

This is just USA at it again, "Russia could invade Ukraine at any time" and publish that crap. Consensus in the Europe is that Russia is not going to invade Ukraine, and there is no point. They just want those "russia minded" areas (tbh it's probably for the oil in the black sea) and Ukraine will probably say that keep them if things are going to escalate.

Then Russia has no reason for aggression, they are not going to march to Kyiv, they don't even have enough troops there to do it. Also, Ukraine is a very large country, that's going to be a bloodbath for Russia also if they try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad