White Goalie Pads

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can goalies on here please explain why the majority of NHL goalies now favour the generic white pads, blockers and catchers? Is it really because they think they can trick shooters into shooting at the white part of their pads? It's too bad more goalies don't do the coloured pad combos like Roberto Luongo. Goalies definitely looked better in the mid 90s than nowadays with all of our Arturs Irbe wannabes out there.

the_pen_is_mightier

Aug 16, 2006
Can goalies on here please explain why the majority of NHL goalies now favour the generic white pads, blockers and catchers? Is it really because they think they can trick shooters into shooting at the white part of their pads? It's too bad more goalies don't do the coloured pad combos like Roberto Luongo. Goalies definitely looked better in the mid 90s than nowadays with all of our Arturs Irbe wannabes out there.

It's just a fad. If you're thinking of Rick, remember that he wears about a bazillion different pairs of pads.
Some might say that white looks bigger, but all goalies look pretty big to me.
This being said, I've read that many shooters say that very bright colors (*cough...MAF...*cough) are easier to pick out when pressed to shoot, making it easier to aim.

Victory Ali*

I've always wondered what the psychology behind pad colors was. I wonder if there actually is a difference between colors. I think I might write Mythbusters is a few minutes and pose this question.

Personally, I'd wear all black pads so that they would be harder to pick up.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
They are supposed to make you look bigger in net. Don't ask me how or why, but thats the purpose. They also quickly look beat up because every shot leaves a mark, but some people like that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's just a fad. If you're thinking of Rick, remember that he wears about a bazillion different pairs of pads.
Some might say that white looks bigger, but all goalies look pretty big to me.
This being said, I've read that many shooters say that very bright colors (*cough...MAF...*cough) are easier to pick out when pressed to shoot, making it easier to aim.

Yeah I was just thinking about MAF switching his pads to white, which is unfortunate.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i think they care more about stopping shots than the way they look

I don't know, one of the first things that drew me into hockey as a little kid was the goalie equipment. Ther There are still goalies out there who have nice coloured pads, like Huet and Luongo.

patrick_roy.jpg

Roy certainly didn't need white pads to look big. It just looks so much better.

Felix29

Roy's pads he had during his late-Habs, early-Avs years (with the white on the inside of the legs) were meant to make the shooter think they had more room in the 5 hole... also, my own opinion, I think MAF's yellow pads are hideous! Personally, I currently like Harding's gold pads. I'm biased, but Potvin's black-and-blue KOHO "Cat" pads were the best ever.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don't know, one of the first things that drew me into hockey as a little kid was the goalie equipment. Ther There are still goalies out there who have nice coloured pads, like Huet and Luongo.

patrick_roy.jpg

Roy certainly didn't need white pads to look big. It just looks so much better.

roymc90.jpg

BaconStrips

Oct 22, 2005
Roy was also instrumental in the whole lets make a solid colour then add white in the middle that was big with the mid 90s Koho pads.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Roy's pads he had during his late-Habs, early-Avs years (with the white on the inside of the legs) were meant to make the shooter think they had more room in the 5 hole... also, my own opinion, I think MAF's yellow pads are hideous! Personally, I currently like Harding's gold pads. I'm biased, but Potvin's black-and-blue KOHO "Cat" pads were the best ever.

I agree about the POTVIN pads they were the bomb back in the day!

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
34558903.jpg

It's a legit point.

I myself will never buy all white pads. I usually buy colors that match my teams color. Although my current pads are mostly white. But it never really crossed my mind when ordering the custon colors.

_MG_5691cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Robo-Pope

Feb 19, 2007
If anything, I'd go for all black pads, hoping people will lose track of loose pucks in front of them.

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
I think it has more to do with practicality. There have been a couple of incidents in the past few years where goalies got their gear in their team colors, and were traded. There were issues with the new gear not matching the new team. The goalies were forced to get new gear by the league/team, which wasn't broken in. This affected their playing style for a little while until it was broken in. I think Osgood was one of the guys affected by this, for example.

Going with neutral colored gear allows you to match any team, any time, no waiting.

Goalie27*

What "majority" are you talking about? Some goalies do it, but that's their choice. Most still have colored pads...

the_pen_is_mightier

Aug 16, 2006
I think it has more to do with practicality. There have been a couple of incidents in the past few years where goalies got their gear in their team colors, and were traded. There were issues with the new gear not matching the new team. The goalies were forced to get new gear by the league/team, which wasn't broken in. This affected their playing style for a little while until it was broken in. I think Osgood was one of the guys affected by this, for example.

Going with neutral colored gear allows you to match any team, any time, no waiting.

Good point. This was more likely an issue a few years ago though.

Today, NHL goalies can have new gear sent to them pretty quickly, and for the most part, their gear is PRO STUFFED, i.e.; less stuffing. This makes them lighter and provides faster break-in. The pads do break down faster because of this, however, when you're not paying for your gear, you can afford to go through multiple sets throughout the year, similar to skates.

Also, it is possible to "paint" over pads. The paint does crack and chip off, however, it does the trick until new pads arrive.

Ex: Kipper with Calgary, still using his San Jose gear. The teal has been covered up.

kiprusoff_miikka1120.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Potvin was the most stylish goalie of all time!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't know about you all but I look for the net when I shoot, black or colored pads make it easier for me to find the net (yes, I have my head down to much, I know) white or offwhite pads blend in with the net, making it harder to pick-up.

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
White pads make it tougher for shooters to see the net at a quick glance. They also apparently make it easier for the goalie to see the puck on contact. Thats what i've heard at least. Personally right now, i'm using black and yellow rbks.

Nosebleed Section

Nov 1, 2006
They need white camo pads that have netting print all over them.

The shooters would be like "oh no WTF?!?!?!? All I see is a goalie helmet and torso ohs well I'll shoot were his pads should be". And then be like "oh noes he has pads and he stopped my shot!!111one"

Reactions: ujju2

densetsu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad