News Article: While coaching peers come and go, Red Wings' Mike Babcock carries on

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What I want to see happening is Blashill replacing Babcock in 2015 off-season when Babcock's contract will end.

Then Babcock can take NCAA job or something easier from somewhere at Michigan, but could it be possible to also keep him as a Vice President to our management?

Like, it would be perfect if he would be the "seconday brain" for Blashill, just like Bowman was for Babcock. Talk almost everyday about things, "What do you think about this and this and this?"

Keep these great hockey minds in the family. Just switch the duties.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
What I want to see happening is Blashill replacing Babcock in 2015 off-season when Babcock's contract will end.

Then Babcock can take NCAA job or something easier from somewhere at Michigan, but could it be possible to also keep him as a Vice President to our management?

Like, it would be perfect if he would be the "seconday brain" for Blashill, just like Bowman was for Babcock. Talk almost everyday about things, "What do you think about this and this and this?"

Keep these great hockey minds in the family. Just switch the duties.

I doubt Babcock is ready to resign his career to coaching in a lesser league and merely being a consultant to the Wings. If the Wings don't resign him he'll have no problem finding another NHL job.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I doubt Babcock is ready to resign his career to coaching in a lesser league and merely being a consultant to the Wings. If the Wings don't resign him he'll have no problem finding another NHL job.

The U of M rumors have been swirling for a while, he lives 20 minutes from campus in Northville and would have ultimate control, really it is the pay that would make no sense, but I cannot even begin to imagine the super power he would create at U of M and maybe that is worth them coming up with the money somehow for him as a coach.

The way I see it if Babcock's ambition is to just keep coaching he will be the Wings coach moving forward. If he wants more power and control he will change some of that, even with his new contract with the Wings he could see an addition to his title and a little more control.

Curious if Babcock would want to be the President of the Oilers or something along those lines. Right or wrong some of Babcock's earning power and options are tied up in what happens in a couple weeks in Russia. His brand can be damaged if that tournament goes how I expect it to.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
The U of M rumors have been swirling for a while, he lives 20 minutes from campus in Northville and would have ultimate control, really it is the pay that would make no sense, but I cannot even begin to imagine the super power he would create at U of M and maybe that is worth them coming up with the money somehow for him as a coach.

The way I see it if Babcock's ambition is to just keep coaching he will be the Wings coach moving forward. If he wants more power and control he will change some of that, even with his new contract with the Wings he could see an addition to his title and a little more control.

Curious if Babcock would want to be the President of the Oilers or something along those lines. Right or wrong some of Babcock's earning power and options are tied up in what happens in a couple weeks in Russia. His brand can be damaged if that tournament goes how I expect it to.

I just can't see him going the college route at this point, he's only 50, pretty young by coaching standards. Normally its guys who can't find jobs as NHL coaches who "settle" for NCAA jobs (ala Andy Murray). I doubt a poor performance in Sochi would tarnish his brand much, his past achievements will still would outweigh any poor result imo.

His first home is western Canada. His kids are out of high school now so there's nothing really keeping him in Michigan if he's not working for the Red Wings. Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver seem like they could be strong possibilities should the Wings decide to move on. That said, I don't think they will. I anticipate Babcock being around for several more years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I just can't see him going the college route at this point, he's only 50, pretty young by coaching standards. Normally its guys who can't find jobs as NHL coaches who "settle" for NCAA jobs (ala Andy Murray). I doubt a poor performance in Sochi would tarnish his brand much, his past achievements will still would outweigh any poor result imo.

His first home is western Canada. His kids are out of high school now so there's nothing really keeping him in Michigan if he's not working for the Red Wings. Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver seem like they could be strong possibilities should the Wings decide to move on. That said, I don't think they will. I anticipate Babcock being around for several more years.

He also already owns a big million dollar house he built that is actually closer to Ann Arbor than it is JLA. It is just a rumor that doesn't seem to die and U of M is the kind of brand and has the kind of money to maybe make this play if he was interested. He would reel off National Championships there, trust me as a Spartan fan not something I am overjoyed at the prospect of. Heck the OHL and WHL should be scared to death, not as easy to poach talent from a commitment to Mike Babcock. It is the salary that is hard to believe, but he could keep his home and have total power at that level.

I could see him back out west, like I said I think it comes down to what he wants at this stage in his life. If it is just to coach and maybe add a little bit more power and not a ton he probably re-inks in Detroit. Only he truly knows, but I do find it interesting that the U of M rumors have remained out there, he has never panned them and that might just be understanding the element of a huge chunk of his fan-base and his respect for Red, but it could be actual significant interest. Maybe if they hit 1.5 or higher even at the pay reduction he would be interested in such an opportunity. It's hard to imagine the kind of powerhouse he could create out there.

If he makes the commitment quick enough his kid could change his commitment and play for his dad, his daughter could get an even further reduced rate on a quality education in state and they could all stay in the same area. I don't know what he is thinking, but he does talk about U of M with some pretty big admiration whenever it is brought up. It might seem crazy on the surface, but he has accomplished everything save the Jack Adams (seriously how the **** has that happened, it is hysterical weird) so maybe this is something he would consider. Much less work too, with the restricted hours the fact his name will recruit top talent by itself and he can do whatever he pleases without being bothered all that much. If they can get all that in the ballpark of what he wants with a salary he is willing to take and he would be the highest paid coach probably by an insane margin in terms of college hockey even with the paycut maybe he does do that and I wouldn't fault him for a second.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
but he has accomplished everything save the Jack Adams (seriously how the **** has that happened, it is hysterical weird)

It's just insane that our 124 point season in 2005-06 after a total retooling wasn't enough for Jack Adams.

I don't know what a heck is worth of it, if that wasn't. 131 point season? Then Bowman got it.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
You may be right, anything is possible really. Hard to picture it though. Just think he prefers the NHL and the challenge it presents and how hard it is to win consistently.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You may be right, anything is possible really. Hard to picture it though. Just think he prefers the NHL and the challenge it presents and how hard it is to win consistently.

I could see that Michigan plan also as "brain refreshening" plan. Some cases it's just better to go to lower level, have less pressure, think some new ideas for the game, test them with that team, then wait for a great opportunity, and then come back.

Not just take the best possible opportunity that is free after your contract is up, take the absolute best opportunity there someday will be.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I could see that Michigan plan also as "brain refreshening" plan. Some cases it's just better to go to lower level, have less pressure, think some new ideas for the game, test them with that team, then wait for a great opportunity, and then come back.

Not just take the best possible opportunity that is free after your contract is up, take the absolute best opportunity there someday will be.

Which is something a guy like Babcock can do and he strikes me as the kind of guy who might think about that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Which is something a guy like Babcock can do and he strikes me as the kind of guy who might think about that.

Also, if we make a scenario where Blashill takes the control for like, from seasons 2015-16 to 2018-19 with a 4-year deal.

And, he will get good results but we won't win the Stanley Cup.

After that 2018-19 season, our core could look like this:

Zetterberg, 37
Mantha, 24
Jurco, 26
Sheahan, 28
Nyquist, 30
Tatar, 28
Järnkrok, 28
Pulkkinen, 28
Ferraro, 28
Callahan, 28
Athanasiou, 24
etc.

Smith, 30
DeKeyser, 29
Ouellet, 26
Sproul, 26
Bäckman, 26

Mrazek, 27

It's pretty near of our next organizational peak.

If Blashill is a great development coach with young players and (like Bryan Murray was)... but fails (like Bryan Murray did)...

Who you're gonna call, if Babcock is still at NCAA...?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It's just insane that our 124 point season in 2005-06 after a total retooling wasn't enough for Jack Adams.

I don't know what a heck is worth of it, if that wasn't. 131 point season? Then Bowman got it.

He's the Scorsese of hockey coaches. Maybe they'll award him a Jack Adams someday after a decent (but not award worthy) season to make up for all the amazing seasons he didn't get one.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
What will Babcock end up doing? Anything he wants.

He's had the kind of consistent success where people will throw a gob of money at him wherever he goes or whatever he does.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
He's the luckiest coach ever and has come up short where others may have gone further. Get rid of the trash and hire Blash.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
He's the luckiest coach ever and has come up short where others may have gone further. Get rid of the trash and hire Blash.
...and most people in on the NHL are completely unaware of this fact that only you seem to know?

Edit: Come to think of it, John Paddock got the same treatment in Ottawa. When the team lost, it was because of Paddock. When they won, it was despite him. :D

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Nah, there's only a couple coaches you can argue that are better than Babcock, namely Bylsma. It's a matter of his message being stale and the disconnect between him and Holland.

Both Holland and Babcock are pretty stale at this point and time, TBH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nah, there's only a couple coaches you can argue that are better than Babcock, namely Bylsma. It's a matter of his message being stale and the disconnect between him and Holland.

Both Holland and Babcock are pretty stale at this point and time, TBH

What is this disconnect between Babcock and Holland? What I have read from articles, they like this relationship just they way it has been.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
What is this disconnect between Babcock and Holland? What I have read from articles, they like this relationship just they way it has been.

I think it's with team building. Babs seems to want a heavy strong down low team and Holland wants to continue the puck possession model. And not many article come out about a coach and Gm not liking each other

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Babcock is a fantastic hockey coach, just not sure he is the right coach for us after all this time. All championship teams have an element of luck to them, but tremendous talent across the board. I do think the coaching part is the least important part of that equation, for instance you can try tell me Coach Q is something great these days, I won't go along with it, he just stuck around long enough with talented groups to finally get it right. He has always had terrific talent in St. Louis, Colorado and Chicago and he was very often out coached and being one of the major factors in his team demise. But even the Blackhawks talent eventually won out there. But I put a lot more emphasis on the players and the upper management team than I do on the coach contribution in every professional sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad