Speculation: Which two players would you buyout?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The Bruins have always been at a disadvantage when these buyouts are discussed. It gives all of the teams with bad GMs a get out of jail free card (or two!?) and hurts the teams that haven't been doing a terrible job signing the Gomez's, Bryzgalov's, Pronger's, etc. The only good I can see is those punk nobodies on twitter spewing garbage about the NHL and Bettman who make 4x what they should getting bought out and not signed in free agency.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I am not sure I buy out anyone. I don't think this goes into effect until next year so, Thomas is gone, Savard on LTIR, Horton and Ference don't get re-signed unless they are taking a paycut and I replace players with guys like Spooner, Knight, Khokhlachev, etc.

If I still am not under the cap then I make a trade.

I think the Bruins are filled with players who are desireable to other teams, I think it would be pretty easy to trade almost any player on the team with the exception of Savard and Thomas. I don't think there is a need to buy out anyone when it is likely that they could trade the same player for a pick/prospect.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Sorry Mike but I see it as planning a divorce before one gets married.

I only came to the previous conclusion after reading the thread and after evaluating it, I gave my opinion. :)

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
I think Ference is a little pricey already, and if we roll back the cap by 15% or so, he gets that much more over-priced. I like Ference, but at about $1MM per season less.

That's about it. Nice job Cam and Chia.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Savvy is LTIR eligible so buying him out doesnt really do anything as far as our cap situation goes other than simplifying it though.

With a buy out do they have to pay out the full amount of the money owing? If they do then your right but it may save ownership some money which would be incentive enough I would think.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Ference is a little pricey already, and if we roll back the cap by 15% or so, he gets that much more over-priced. I like Ference, but at about $1MM per season less.

It may come to pass that Ference reaches a point where he is too expensive to keep, if that happens we should be sad, because Ference has earned every dime and then some since coming to Boston. The guy has been great for this team

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
It may come to pass that Ference reaches a point where he is too expensive to keep, if that happens we should be sad, because Ference has earned every dime and then some since coming to Boston. The guy has been great for this team

He leaves no doubt that he is a gamer. Even with or without the bird. :laugh:

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Horton......I will duck now as most begin throwing verbal or physical objects my way:)

How would we replace a top line forward for free?

Ference only makes around $2,000,000 I think. That is hardly overpayment for a good #4-5 defenseman.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Campbell since under a new CBA he's worth about half of his 1.6 cap hit. Even though you can ask Marc Savard what the NHL thought of the Bruins before we got him karma wise I'd rather let him play his last year out at that number than do a buyout. Thornton would be vulnerable to be bought out. Everyone else probably gets traded.

Krejci and Boychuk might have inflated salaries that don't fit under a lower cap but both would return big assets in a trade. Add Lucic into that category as well.

I don't think we are in bad shape. WHen the only "problem" contracts are 4th liners thats a good thing IMO. Although by the looks of things chances are we could save 500k ish each per year on Lucic and Marchand if we hadn't signed them this fall and waited for the new CBA.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I would be very reluctant to buy out a defenseman. IMO the Bruins d corp is thin enough as it is even when everyone is healthy. Doug Hamiliton may or may not be ready to make the big team and even if he does make it CJ will be very reluctant to just throw him out there.

So I would say it would have to be 2 wingers that get the buy out, simply because I believe they are more easily replaced than defensemen. I'll have to think a little more about who those 2 would be.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Free buy-outs that don't affect the cap?

Easy. Buy-out Chara and Lucic and then re-up them for the difference of their lost wages. Save millions on the cap going forward.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

Easy. Buy-out Chara and Lucic and then re-up them for the difference of their lost wages. Save millions on the cap going forward.

Maybe - but if I'm a player of that caliber, and I'm bought out, I'm not sticking around.

If my company bought me out and I had 29 suitors offering me the same or better money than my original company, I wouldn't be sticking around.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Maybe - but if I'm a player of that caliber, and I'm bought out, I'm not sticking around.

If my company bought me out and I had 29 suitors offering me the same or better money than my original company, I wouldn't be sticking around.

I know. Just think it would be funny.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

The 2005 cba didn't allow teams to buyout a player and the turn around and immediately re-sign him. I think teams had to wait a yr before the player could play for them, after being bought out.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
The 2005 cba didn't allow teams to buyout a player and the turn around and immediately re-sign him. I think teams had to wait a yr before the player could play for them, after being bought out.

It would be sick to just give Chara 50 mill tommorow and have him play for a 1 mill base salary we would be in cap heaven

Minny could do it with Parise Suter and basicly get the two Fa's for free.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It would be sick to just give Chara 50 mill tommorow and have him play for a 1 mill base salary we would be in cap heaven

Minny could do it with Parise Suter and basicly get the two Fa's for free.

I'm preeeeeeettttty sure the NHL will outlaw anything like this from happening.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm preeeeeeettttty sure the NHL will outlaw anything like this from happening.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that somehow in this whole mess as they rush to the finish line. The NHL is going to screw up some language somewhere along the line that will end up being abused. It won't be this, but somehow the law of unintended consequences always wins

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
How would we replace a top line forward for free?

Ference only makes around $2,000,000 I think. That is hardly overpayment for a good #4-5 defenseman.

I was wrong - he's at $2.25MM/year. I thought he was higher. I think it's a little high, but not bad.

nycbruins*

If the cap really hoes down to 60 next season, then boychuk & peverley are the highest-paid non-essentials. Only issue is teams will know the bruins are in cap trouble & trade returns could be minimal. If that's the case, you have to look again into trading krejci for cheap younger players. Don't buy anyone out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad