Speculation: Which two players would you buyout?

member 96824

Word on the street is the NHL has agreed to 2 buyouts(on my phone but seen from multiple people on twitter)

If this is the case..who would you go with?

No easy decisions with the team we have...outside of Thomas if he is clearly not coming back.

I want to say boychuk..but then we have no one to step in and take his spot...hmmmm

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Savard is the only other one if they want to be mean.

Depending on the cap Gregory Campbel

member 96824

Savvy is LTIR eligible so buying him out doesnt really do anything as far as our cap situation goes other than simplifying it though.

Kaoz*

Word on the street is the NHL has agreed to 2 buyouts(on my phone but seen from multiple people on twitter)

If this is the case..who would you go with?

No easy decisions with the team we have...outside of Thomas if he is clearly not coming back.

I want to say boychuk..but then we have no one to step in and take his spot...hmmmm

I can't see them using even one let alone two. Thomas would get money if they buy him out... so why bother. Savard is injured, will be on LTIR and likely covered in insurance. Changes are they let the big money slide off that contract and then he retires (I think next year is his last year at real money then it drops to 1 mill or so).

Everyone else they need and has value. If they wanted to move out a guy like Boychuk they'd likely just trade him and get assets back.

Dojji*

Savvy is LTIR eligible so buying him out doesnt really do anything as far as our cap situation goes other than simplifying it though.

... assuming the LTIR works the same way as last CBA. Has that been confirmed yet?

Dojji*

Thomas would get money if they buy him out... so why bother.

To clear $5M in cap for a total cost of something like 500-700k. That's why bother. As I recall his salary is structured for somewhere in between 1 and 1.5 mil in base salary for 2013. Buy that out and you're free and clear his entire cap hit and Thomas probably makes more money on the free agent market than he'd make from that last year anyway -- HE'D probably thank you.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Can anyone confirm what the buyout options are in the context of the cap? I assume none of us care how much these players actually earn, we're just concerned with how much cap space can be freed up. So, can the Bruins free up cap space by buying out either Thomas or Savard, or both?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Haven't heard anything about the 35+ rule not applying, so forget about buying out Thomas. Thornton and Campbell would be gone.2.7 M for a combined 13 goals when our top 3 lines have glaring holes.

Kaoz*

To clear $5M in cap for a total cost of something like 500-700k. That's why bother. As I recall his salary is structured for somewhere in between 1 and 1.5 mil in base salary for 2013. Buy that out and you're free and clear his entire cap hit and Thomas probably makes more money on the free agent market than he'd make from that last year anyway -- HE'D probably thank you.

He's due 3 million in actual cash this year, 3 million dollars he won't collect a penny of unless you buy him out. Buy him out and he collects 2/3rds of that, or 2 million dollars.

He'd thank you alright.

As it stands, Boston won't suffer his cap hit. They can exceed the cap limit by that number if need be, so buying him out does absolutely nothing except make it easier for the average person to calculate Boston's remaining cap space and force Jacobs and Co. to pay out 2 million dollars when there is no need.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
unless there is a specific target that would require additional cap space, I don't see the need to buy anyone on the roster out. I don't see a glaring enough hole on our roster that we need to fill, the FA market has some 'okay' stuff out there - but nothing great. I assume that if we have a season that the trade deadline will be very tight and prices astronomically high. I would assume more Zanon/Mottau/Rolston like acquisitions vs. a Bobby Ryan type of an acquisition.

I understand the argument to have more cap space available for a potential trade deadline acquisition, but this year I see that being moot.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

I thought the buyouts were going to be for next season?

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Wait, so we got salary rollbacks when we let go most of our roster and then buyouts when our GM had done a good job of keeping everyone on the team to sane contracts?

Awesome.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That remains to be seen, the cap figures are still unknown.

Well most reports have indicated that they won't touch the cap for this year.

No one wants the complete Chaos that would come from suddenly cutting back to 60 million cap immediately with 1 week to do it. It would be insanity.

Rumor is the cap is 70.5 million for this year, and then will drop big time July 1

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That remains to be seen, the cap figures are still unknown.

Well by all accounts if this season happens the cap will remain around 70 million and the cap for next season won't drop below 60 million (the figure the owners are asking for). In both cases the Bruins should be under or nearly under the cap and would most likely trade assets to get under rather than use a buyout. They don't have any terrible contracts that warrant buying out. Moving a guy like Kelly or Peverley for picks/prospects if necessary is totally doable and neither of those guys makes enough money to necessitate using a buyout.

Of course this is all assuming that LTIR would still not count against the cap.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
No one.

There isn't a person on the roster they couldn't just trade for an asset.

If anything, Jacobs could be really savvy and use his money to help the team by offering to trade for another team's bad contract if they send it along with an asset like a prospect or high pick, and then buy that person out.

THIS IS WHAT STEINBRENNER WOULD HAVE DONE. It is genius.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
No one.

If anything, Jacobs could be really savvy and use his money to help the team by offering to trade for another team's bad contract if they send it along with an asset like a prospect or high pick, and then buy that person out.

How often has he done that in his tenure though? I agree that really savvy owners will do this. I'm just guessing that Jacobs will not be one of them.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
No one.

I will guarantee you one thing Mike:

If you hold your breath for this to happen, you will die.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
JJ must love it- he doesn't have to buy out anthing.

Incredible that a big market owner wields that much power within the BOG and manages to use it to submarine his own franchise time and again.

Could you imagine Bob Kraft ever letting the last two lockout scenarios happen?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I thought the buyouts were going to be for next season?

This is correct. So Timmy's off the books anyways. There are no really outrageous contracts, we've got some high priced lower tier guys, so maybe one of those. I really don't see PC making use of it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad