Speculation: Which two players would you buyout?

mashmont

May 27, 2011
Massachusetts
I know Horton's Health is a Huge Question mark..

I just don't know how people can just say get rid of him. For me personally id get rid of kelly or peverly well before Horton.

just remembering all those clutch goals, if he can come back like he was pre concussion. He'd be a force.

credit Dafoomie obviously.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
I don't know why anyone is talking about buying out Nathan Horton. Buyouts (if that remains) would not happen until this summer and he's a UFA after this season, so, non-issue. You either opt to re-sign him or not.

I know BJ and others are not too keen on Horton and I can understand some of that. He's not a first line all-star winger but if he's your second line RW, you are a pretty good team. I don't buy that he floats too much of the time but you have to admit he can be streaky. But also has come up big in the clutch too. Good but imperfect, maybe we can leave it there.

It all comes down to his role and his salary. If those are properly managed - and he's healthy - I think he's a real asset and I enjoy him quite a bit. Lucic and Horton for a fair wage and as 2nd line wingers, that I'm onboard with. If he needs a big time contract and takes a 1st line spot/pay for several years, I can see why that's fair to debate at length. But we shall see how it all plays out...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
You just don't get rid of 25-30 goal power wingers that are what 28 years old? Clutch as well. Now, if he proves he is not healthy this year, then it's easy, but if he is you make the room to sign him.

You do that by subtracting from your strength, and that is center. Chris Kelly would be the first choice for many, but my thinking is you would have to move Krejci and push Seguin to center. The new cap world will make it a necessity.... You look to move Krejci for a Jeff Carter type package..A top ten pick and young winger in the Voracek mold. That is what I see the Bruins doing. Chiarelli didn't put a "I can trade you to 24 out of the 30 nhl teams" stipulation clause in his contract for nothing.. Krejci's deal was Chia's fail safe trigger for this exact scenario IMO.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Each team should be able to designate one player with a cap hit between 4-6, and one with a cap hit under 2.5 to not count for four years, Or just anyone player.

That would keep the highest spending teams out of trouble, we could do Chara or Lucic and a lower player.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
You just don't get rid of 25-30 goal power wingers that are what 28 years old? Clutch as well. Now, if he proves he is not healthy this year, then it's easy, but if he is you make the room to sign him.

You do that by subtracting from your strength, and that is center. Chris Kelly would be the first choice for many, but my thinking is you would have to move Krejci and push Seguin to center. The new cap world will make it a necessity.... You look to move Krejci for a Jeff Carter type package..A top ten pick and young winger in the Voracek mold. That is what I see the Bruins doing. Chiarelli didn't put a "I can trade you to 24 out of the 30 nhl teams" stipulation clause in his contract for nothing.. Krejci's deal was Chia's fail safe trigger for this exact scenario IMO.

It actually slipped my mind... trading Krejci could actually be a good idea here. The Bruins would get a good player back for him as well.

In terms of overpaid under a $60,000,000 cap, I think we have Kelly, Boychuk, Lucic, Krejci, then obviously our 4th line. Just my opinion there.... and since Lucic obviously won't be going anywhere, and it would be difficult to replace the potential 20+ minutes per night Boychuk can play in pressure situations... that leaves Kelly and the 4th line as buyout candidates to me. But then, Kelly is a guy we need so no there is little point in buying him out either! Guess it comes down to trades or buying out the 4th line then?

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010

Perfect year to do this considering the strength of the draft. If Chiarelli could pull off a similar trade to the Carter one this year he should be GM of the year.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm sorry, Wicked OT, but did Dojjii replace his second I with a *?

GodTukka*

Depends, Do they have to use the buyout immediately? or would it be like the NBA and it would carry over into the next season?

If the former, Thomas and maybe Campbell, then see if you can flip Krejci for a decent package

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't know why anyone is talking about buying out Nathan Horton. Buyouts (if that remains) would not happen until this summer and he's a UFA after this season, so, non-issue. You either opt to re-sign him or not.

I know BJ and others are not too keen on Horton and I can understand some of that. He's not a first line all-star winger but if he's your second line RW, you are a pretty good team. I don't buy that he floats too much of the time but you have to admit he can be streaky. But also has come up big in the clutch too. Good but imperfect, maybe we can leave it there.

It all comes down to his role and his salary. If those are properly managed - and he's healthy - I think he's a real asset and I enjoy him quite a bit. Lucic and Horton for a fair wage and as 2nd line wingers, that I'm onboard with. If he needs a big time contract and takes a 1st line spot/pay for several years, I can see why that's fair to debate at length. But we shall see how it all plays out...

Tis all about health with me Black Eye, there`s always been streaky players and I don`t have massive issues with those players if they are working hard when things aren`t necessarily clicking. I don`t often see Horty as a guy who floats much but he does become a spectator from time to time....I really didn`t like watching the Horton who returned from concussion at the beginning of the year last year, the one who rarely engaged in any contact, who showed little to no puck assertion, exceptionally hesitant.

Now, I understand and respect how a concussion can and should have a player concerned about or confident that he can absorb the same hits as he once did previously however, his game was so hesitant that it hurt the team. Once he started rounding back into shape, he was "hit" again by Sestito and we are where we are now, in limbo of course about how he`ll return.

My hope is he comes back with that fire, that willingness to engage (smartly of course) that we have come to know and respect. I get that he isn`t going to go out there and drop the mitts every time someone asks him to go and that`s ok, you just have to play different after a concussion, but different doesn`t mean without any physical aspect to your game.

Bergy`s a great example of a player who has made some adjustments. Although always a bit shifty along the boards, we see him consistently aware at all times where the opponent is, where and when he needs to stop and change directions etc....

I`m hoping he answers the questions early and often in the form of solid play, if or when that happens, I`d be more than willing and happy to have him remain a Bruin but it`s a business, and if Nate performs under his potential, doesn`t show confidence in being able to play the way he needs to in order for success, then.....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: