Which top hockey nation has the best football team?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
1. Canada

World Cup: Did not qualify. Copa America: Was not invited.

2. United States

World Cup: Last 16. Copa America: 4th place.

3. Russia

World Cup: Group stage. Euro: Group stage

4. Finland

World Cup: Did not qualify. Euro: Did not qualify.

5. Sweden

World Cup: Did not qualify. Euro: Group stage.

6. Czech Republic

World Cup: Did not qualify. Euro: Group stage.

7. Slovakia

World Cup: Did not qualify. Euro: Last 16.

8. Switzerland

World Cup: Last 16. Euro: Last 16.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I don't consider Switzerland a top hockey nation but them.

Otherwise the US I guess. Russia might have a more talented team though.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I want to say the US has the best team given the latest results, but the fact that some of the top players have retired and the team has a lot of barely known names has me still wondering how good they really are.

Sweden lost Ibra, so it's going to be interesting how they do without him.

Finland and Canada are two lost causes right now.

Russia had a great finish to the qualifying campaign, but a terrible Euro finals. Now they are only playing friendlies until Summer 2017.

Slovakia, Switzerland and Czech are decent teams, but they overachieved a bit recently, in my opinion.

Granted Swiss just beat the Euro champs, gotta go with them, but it's a very close call.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Switzerland by the options, but I don't think they should be. Then it's a tossup between US and Russia IMO.

US has been best of the group over the past 15ish years as a whole., but as of right now, that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's USA. they are the only teams that go deep in both sports. Switzerland is getting better at hockey but I think the distance between USA and SUI in soccer is closer than USA and SUI in hockey. Also the Swiss soccer team on it is largely built on non-Swiss transplants which I feel hurts them here as well.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Usa isn't the most talented right now I don't think, but we've gotten the best results in major tournaments in recent years.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
USA with the Swiss being a distant second, up until 2014 the Swiss would usually go to major tournaments and finish bottom of their group. Russia and Czechs have the tradition but in recent years are on the decline with not enough youngsters coming through (Czechs for their Euro success only have qualified for 1 WC post break-up which is unacceptable, Russia are not doing a good job considering their resources). Sweden seem to have a decent generation coming through but right now they are a solid low 2nd tier/high 3rd tier Euro team. Slovakia are what they are, 3rd tier Euro NT, a team which will qualify for the 24-team Euros from now on but won't reach World Cups consistently

Finland and Canada, with all respects, are irrelevant in football today...Canada does have some potential but still a few years away from being competitive in CONCACAF. Finland develops some decent players but too few

So my rankings as of today....
1. USA
2. Switzerland
3. Russia
4. Sweden
5. Czech Republic
6. Slovakia
7. Finland
8. Canada

TravisR81

May 25, 2008
USA has a massive advantage not having to go through UEFA qualifying. They wouldn't be qualifying for every World Cup/Euro if they were in UEFA.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Slim pickings from that lot at the moment.:laugh:

I'm excluding Switzerland from this since their hockey program is in the same tier as Germany in my book.

The Czech Republic team of Nedved, Poborsky, Koller, etc. was hands down the best team any of these nations have ever put together though.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Switzerland by the options, but I don't think they should be. Then it's a tossup between US and Russia IMO.

US has been best historically of the group, but as of right now, that's how I see it.

What?

I'd take Slovaks ahead of anyone at the moment because I don't count Switzerland as a top hockey nation.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What?

I'd take Slovaks ahead of anyone at the moment because I don't count Switzerland as a top hockey nation.

I really meant more in recent times when I said historically.

The question is being interpreted many different ways. Currently, recently, and historically.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do you mean the Arshavin era? The USSR teams never really amounted to much (They won a Euro in the 60's I think).

As for Switzerland, I don't think they ever fielded anything remotely close to the Czech teams of the late 90's-2004 era.

Winning a euro is a lot more than the other nations we're discussing have accomplished. The ancient swiss team was probably the strongest relative to the teams of their time, but that euro crown goes a long way for russia; especially when paired with their 3 other finals appearances where they fell short...2 of which came not long after that triumph in 1960.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad