Speculation: Which teams move their 1st rounders at the draft?

QCNords

Oct 19, 2017
If the Habs trade Pacioretty at the draft, the will keep 3oa and select the best winger available (Svech, Zadina, Wahlstrom) and slot him top 6.

If not, they will probably drop 7oa-12oa and select one of Kotkaniemi or Veleno.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I have a feeling the Islanders might jump into the top three with one of their picks (Calgary or their 1st). I see the Islanders getting better going forward, Tavares or not.

Overall, I see this draft being the one with the most traded first round picks in a single draft.

I just want the Jets to draft Jett Woo for so many reasons, but mostly because of his name and birthplace.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Which teams in the top 7 would want Simmonds as the major part of a trade for their draft pick?

Arizona would. Their biggest need at the moment is vet scoring, like Simmonds. It's plausible, too, after they traded for Raanta and Stepan last draft.

I think Simmonds plus one of the 14th or 19th should just about do it, since Arizona is drafting 5th. I agree with @Peacekeeper that both picks and Simmonds is overpayment.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Very good chance Rangers trade one of their 1sts. Possibly in a deal with the Flames who are looking to get back into the 1st round
Or they move up from 9 using their draft picks

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think Habs Trade Pacioretty at the draft for one of :

Edm's 10OA
Philly's 14OA + prospect
Florida's 15OA + prospect (probably Mascherin)

If not, Bergevin may be tempted to move back in the draft from 3OA but that literally never happens.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Edmonton / NYI

Unless NYI is getting a top 3 D under team control for more than a couple years (which just by typing it sounds unlikely), I think they hang onto their 1sts because there’s no indication that they will have any inkling as to what Tavares is going to do.

Now, if the OPs question includes trade up/down scenarios, then yes, I could see NYI entertaining those scenarios, but I think they are in a good spot as it looks like there is a dropoff at around their 11th pick and there’s alway a chance someone from the tier ahead of them could drop to them (like Fowler and Forsberg did).

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Leafs could move their 1st for Dman upgrade. This season showed they are not rebuilding anymore, but they need to tweak their defence to be a real contender.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Boston might be interested in that pick too.

The Blues would only be parting it with a + for a top 6 RW or C. I'm not sure that makes any sense for a contender in Boston. The only guy I "think" Boston might be willing to part with is Krejci, and I don't think he interests the Blues with his age and cap hit. Otherwise, we'll take Donato off your hands. :naughty:

Reactions: CaliBlues710

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You think anybody in the teens would trade the pick for a package of Killorn + Koekkoek? Would like to move those two K last names for another K name in Kravtsov, Kaut or Kupari.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
What would Boston be offering?

The Blues would only be parting it with a + for a top 6 RW or C. I'm not sure that makes any sense for a contender in Boston. The only guy I "think" Boston might be willing to part with is Krejci, and I don't think he interests the Blues with his age and cap hit. Otherwise, we'll take Donato off your hands. :naughty:

I'm not 100% sure, but my hunch is that Sweeney would like to draft in the first round. The following might be available:

Heinen
Krug (would be part of a bigger deal) or Grzelcyk
2018 2nd and/or 3rd
Zboril, Lauzon, Sherman or Johanssen (all LHD prospects)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs could move their 1st for Dman upgrade. This season showed they are not rebuilding anymore, but they need to tweak their defence to be a real contender.

I keep reading this but I don't see a deal. Everything they have done indicates they will not move futures for short term fixes (Remember it is Shanny running the show not the GM and he is adamant on sticking to the plan of drafting well over a number of years like Winnipeg has done) and they need someone who is better than what they have and is RD, who fits long term with the core. No team is moving that piece for a first.

Moving their first for a 2nd pairing D does nothing. Zaitsev is a great 2nd pairing D (I know he had a rough year but was good to start, and then was injured in and out of the lineup the rest of the year, and after his first season he deserves the benefit of the doubt) and the team has a TON of 3rd pairing guys (Which why would they move a 1st for a bottom pairing D??). Left side is so overcrowded they are going to lose NHL quality D for nothing next year when someone doesn't make camp. Dermott has shown he is a top 4 D already, so even if they trade Gardiner, they have no issues at all on LD.

So what team fits these terms? I don't see one. Either they would be getting someone coming out of their prime needing a new deal which would see them overpaid in their 30's, or they would have to put together a package that destroyed a part of their future for someone that is established enough to do that kind of deal, while also fitting in with the under 25 core, AND you would need that other team to be willing to move that player in the first place.

I am not meaning to blow up, it's just really irking my how we keep reading "Just move Nylander / the 1st for defense!" with no follow up. They are better off just keeping the assets if all they can return is a 2nd pairing D. If it was that easy to address the RD top pairing, it would have been done already.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think the Leafs are going to move down. Not much of a difference between 25 and 55 this draft unless someone falls unexpectedly.

Depends what the teams picking twice in the 1st round do to be honest, Ottawa and a few other teams are allergic to Russians so that might drop Denisenko and Kravtsov lower than they should be.
If the Leafs move their 1st, i think it will be packaged to get a top 4 Dfirst Dman.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Unless NYI is getting a top 3 D under team control for more than a couple years (which just by typing it sounds unlikely), I think they hang onto their 1sts because there’s no indication that they will have any inkling as to what Tavares is going to do.

Now, if the OPs question includes trade up/down scenarios, then yes, I could see NYI entertaining those scenarios, but I think they are in a good spot as it looks like there is a dropoff at around their 11th pick and there’s alway a chance someone from the tier ahead of them could drop to them (like Fowler and Forsberg did).
Yeah, very difficult for the isles to move first rounders with the uncertainty about Tavares. That situation likely will not be settled until July/August.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You think anybody in the teens would trade the pick for a package of Killorn + Koekkoek? Would like to move those two K last names for another K name in Kravtsov, Kaut or Kupari.

I don't think you're getting a whole lot of value in return for Killorn with that contract, and certainly not a first

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'm not 100% sure, but my hunch is that Sweeney would like to draft in the first round. The following might be available:

Heinen
Krug (would be part of a bigger deal) or Grzelcyk
2018 2nd and/or 3rd
Zboril, Lauzon, Sherman or Johanssen (all LHD prospects)
Quality pieces, and Boston should not have any trouble moving into the first round with them...but as others have mentioned, none of them really fits Blues' needs.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Curious about the Leafs and Edmonton bidding on Tanev. Both fans from Both clubs are wanting a RHD. And after reading the multiple Canucks threads the fans their want first rounders.

I can see Edmonton and Toronto having their first available for a RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad