Value of: Which teams could be in on Matheson at the TDL?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Really no interest in trading him until next trade deadline at least. Think Hutson will benefit from some time in the AHL before getting thrown into the #1 OFD role

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Matheson is at best so-so on the defensive side lol
Not the worst, but certainly not the best, that's for goddamn sure

Good thing is, he doesn't have to do it a lot, since he's so often on offense, but man he's the most frustrating player we have on the Habs

I was just messing a bit with the dude who shat on Matheson, obviously, everyone and their mothers would take Dahlin over Matheson
Seem like a very honest posting. Some fans get butthurt over someone not agreeing with them. I think they take it personally.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Habs w tight Cap discourages retention
2 more years at almost $5M may be an obstacle for some contenders

he's never impressed me as much more a typical established NHL D-man,
so IMHO for most teams he might only be worthwhile to acquire with 50% retention
The cap is expected to rise significantly in the future. Maybe a bargain in the last year.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Shayne Gostisbehere: 82 points in 134 games (.61PPG) average 22:19 TOI - Return was 3rd round pick

Mike Matheson: 73 points in 100 games (.73PPG) average 24:57 TOI -

Contenders usually aren't interested in offensive d men at this point of the season unless their PP QB gets injured. Most playoff teams are looking for some physical guys to bolster the depth. I'd be shocked if he got more than a 2nd round pick if he was traded.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Shayne Gostisbehere: 82 points in 134 games (.61PPG) average 22:19 TOI - Return was 3rd round pick

Mike Matheson: 73 points in 100 games (.73PPG) average 24:57 TOI -

Contenders usually aren't interested in offensive d men at this point of the season unless their PP QB gets injured. Most playoff teams are looking for some physical guys to bolster the depth. I'd be shocked if he got more than a 2nd round pick if he was traded.
That's irrational. He won't be traded for a 2nd. If that's all he's worth, Habs keep him to insulate their very young defense.

I expect his value is much higher than most would expect; he's still playing like a #1D (yes for a bad team, but still a #1D) and has a good contract for a couple more seasons. All that has value.

But I forget - he's a Hab and gets a lot of points on the PP, which means he has negative value.

Maybe Montreal can package him with Winnipeg's 1st to get someone to get rid of his contract ? ( /s for those without a sarcasm detector)

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Not too many teams craving LD as good as he may be offensively.

Maybe DET if they're gonna move Ghost for a prospect/pick/cheap forward?
Then move Maata in July?

But Matheson having term likely blocks one of their own prospects.
Seems like a move made in July but aren't Montreal happy with him?
Why move him for more picks?

You're nearing bubble team stage so go for playoffs next year?

It's already infuriating enough that Edvinsson is being blocked by the likes of Chiarot/Ghost.

EDIT: To be clear, Ghost puts up great offensive numbers. He's just absolute ass at every other aspect of hockey.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
One of the worst defensive players in the NHL. Awful in his own zone with brutal metics to describe how over matched he is when the other team has the puck and he’s meant to defend.

What are the Habs attaching to dump the balance of this contract?

This guy is a Tyson Berrie with term remaining.

Last edited:

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
That's irrational. He won't be traded for a 2nd. If that's all he's worth, Habs keep him to insulate their very young defense.

I expect his value is much higher than most would expect; he's still playing like a #1D (yes for a bad team, but still a #1D) and has a good contract for a couple more seasons. All that has value.

But I forget - he's a Hab and gets a lot of points on the PP, which means he has negative value.

Maybe Montreal can package him with Winnipeg's 1st to get someone to get rid of his contract ? ( /s for those without a sarcasm detector)
Then you're just keeping him then I guess.

Is it irrational? The same comments were said about Ghost. Who was putting up points on a bad team & playing 22+ minutes.

What is playing like a 1D to you? Playing a lot of minutes?

He'd probably get more value as a rental with 50% retention. I don't think any contenders would be interested in 4.875M for another 2 years.
Right. A 2nd round pick is negative value... this sounds like you getting a bit upset over comparisons that actually happened vs being irrational.

Reactions: larek

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
We won’t move him. Hutson is the replacement, but he’s 2 years away.

Savard makes more sense, and Kovacevic a lot more sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad