Speculation: Which teams can still afford to make a high end offer sheet this year?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Columbus puts out a rich offer sheet for Laine, they have to remember that they need to re-sign PLD next off-season.

The Red Wings will have space once their LTIR kicks in. Would they want to give up 4 picks, including two firsts?

Ducks would have the space.

But with the strength of the 2020 first round, how many of these lower-rung teams would be willing to give up an unprotected 1st and risk giving up a top-end pick?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
To the first bolded - I don't know. Hence why I made a thread asking o_O

To the second - yes of course. But - if I'm Point - wouldn't I prefer to make 10.5M$ outside of Tampa than ~7M$ in Tampa, all else being equal? It's probably reasonable to expect he'd take a discount to stay with the team as many others have in Tampa (but - no guarantee) - but i don't know that it would be as much as 3M$+ AAV he'd take as a discount. At least - he shouldn't, he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if he did.
If I were Point, I'd rather play with Kucherov over the next three years, score 80-90 points and then get paid big time on my 3rd contract. If I sign elsewhere, I'd be playing with lesser players and may not be able to demand as high a salary. Also, I like it in Tampa, I like my teammates and I think there is a great chance of winning it all. I'll take a discount now but I'll cash in big time in three years.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Islanders if we trade Leddy for futures.

Why would anybody help out the Islanders in this scenario? You'd get way less than market value for Leddy. And nobody is taking a 5.5 million cap hit for the next 3 years without salary going back. So what little cap space you'd gain in moving Leddy would not be significant.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
To the first bolded - I don't know. Hence why I made a thread asking o_O

To the second - yes of course. But - if I'm Point - wouldn't I prefer to make 10.5M$ outside of Tampa than ~7M$ in Tampa, all else being equal? It's probably reasonable to expect he'd take a discount to stay with the team as many others have in Tampa (but - no guarantee) - but i don't know that it would be as much as 3M$+ AAV he'd take as a discount. At least - he shouldn't, he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if he did.
I asked and answered my own question :) Looking at current cap situation in capfriendly, there are only 4 teams. A few others can get under the cap with a move or two. But none of them strike me as likely destinations for Point.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Why would anybody help out the Islanders in this scenario? You'd get way less than market value for Leddy. And nobody is taking a 5.5 million cap hit for the next 3 years without salary going back. So what little cap space you'd gain in moving Leddy would not be significant.
To gain a top 4 dman signed on for 3 more years.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Is Carolina close to having enough money?

Because if I were the GM there, I'd send Laine a 9x5 offer sheet yesterday.

CapFriendly shows the Canes at $83.05M, roughly $1.5M over. That's solved by sending Bishop and Gibbons to Charlotte to start the season or putting TVR on LTIR to open the season.

That said, Carolina would need to move $9M out to have space for Laine. The easiest method would be moving Faulk and Reimer and then finding another $750K plus what would be needed for the backfill players (~$2.5M or so.) But I think it's more likely Carolina is passing on Laine.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Because they might have the capspace and are looking for a cheap(trade value wise) top 4 option for their defense.

Canadiens? Jets(assuming they trade Laine)? Kings? Ducks?

On a side note if the Islanders really needed to free up cash my guess is they trade Hickey(2.5M) and Ladd(5.5) probably stays on LITR till after the new year just to be "safe". Those 2 things along with our 5M+(we are currently at 4.6Mof capspace but 16f-7D-2G roster, which means 2 of those guys need to be sent down or put on injury reserve) of capspace should be more then enough to get use Laine at top dollar if somehow that opportunity opened up

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
None.
It was apparent none would get completed after the Aho sheet, the chance was there and wasn't used.
There could be technically correct answers for your question but it won't happen at this point anymore.

See I don't know if this is true. There could very well be offers out there not signed by a player. All it takes it the player deciding one day "screw it, they aren't backing down" and signing an offer.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
How many teams can make such an offer? Not many. And if Point accepts he risks Tampa not matching.

He's free to ask Tampa whether they'll match before he signs it. I assume any free agent who gets an offer sheet would do that.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
...and suddenly Winnipeg can sign their rfa's and maybe yours, too!

Literally no defense whatsoever, but how about
Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Connor Point Wheeler
for a top 6?

Do you even need defense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad