Which team scares you in playoffs

The Hounds really took it to the Knights a couple of times on the road this year.
Um...care to point to those games? The Soo have been to the Bud 2 times this year and both games went to OT/shoot out, with the Soo winning. Yes they won both...but I'd hardly say they "took it to the Knights". Both games could have easily gone in London's favour.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
It may come down to the best coaching.
Dale Hunter is head and shoulders above the rest.

I think that Knoblauch is a better coach and he's got the track record to back that up. Drew Bannister also has his team playing better than the Knights despite lesser talent and financial resources.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Um...care to point to those games? The Soo have been to the Bud 2 times this year and both games went to a shoot out, with the Soo winning. Yes they won both...but I'd hardly say they "took it to the Knights". Both games could have easily gone in London's favour.

Not to mention... Parsons didn't play in either game.

Last year Parsons was 3-0 vs the Soo and had a GAA of 1.00 and a sv% of .965

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Not to mention... Parsons didn't play in either game.

Last year Parsons was 3-0 vs the Soo and had a GAA of 1.00 and a sv% of .965

Yikes. Good catch :laugh:

Fischabber, you got some explaining to do ;)

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
Non-playoff team fan chiming in....although, if Saginaw and Sarnia do their best 15/16 Guelph Storm impersonations, perhaps the Storm can find a way to get into 8th!

That said, I'm going to stir the pot.

Owen Sound is massively overrated right now.

Recency bias has made people think this is a team that can hang with the big boys - LON, SSM and Erie.

The fact is, they were a mediocre team prior to this hot streak, and will remain one after it's over. Here's their win streak opponents and their OA rank:

GUE (18), KGN (13), BAR (20), SUD (15), NB (17), KIT (9), BAR (20), SSM (1), WSR (6), KIT (9).

There are a couple of signature wins in there, but that's a lot of basement fodder too. They could even stretch this streak out - next two are against a powerhouse Storm team.

I'm not saying they aren't a good team - but one of the most feared heading into the playoffs? I don't buy it.

That said....their team plays a style geared towards the playoffs, and they do have a great goaltender.

But, this is about which teams scare you in the playoffs, and to me that's the big boys.

OK....tell me why I am wrong :popcorn:

First off.....do the other teams have to subtract their winning streaks from their record? Is your bias based on the Attack choking against a weak team more than once? If so, then consider it a handicap overcome the hard way and thank your lucky Storm stars it went that way.

best goaltending in the league
best defense in the league
one of two teams to beat the Otters at home. only one to do it outside of a shootout.
have outshot virtually everyone they've played
1-4 against Erie
2-0 versus London
2-0 versus the Soo (score cumulatively 12-2)
2-0 versus Windsor
6-1 overall in extra time
balanced Attack
good penalty kill
decent powerplay
great coaching
huge work ethic
tremendous team play:naughty:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The East is probably irrelevant but Ottawa has a silly good road record (11-7-4). They have been terrible at home for some strange reason. If they can figure out the issues at home, they may be the team to beat. Solid goaltending, depth of scoring up front and with he addition of Martenet to help give some size and stability to a young defense, they may be able to find their way.

Ottawa may not be a favourite BUT they may be an interesting wildcard to watch.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The team that scares me the most this spring is the Windsor Spitfires. As a Ranger fan who's rear end will be sore for a very very long time after the screw job we got in the Bracco trade, I'm terrified that this team will be successful this post season.

Three things have combined to have me feeling this way:
1) Bracco using his NTC to get to Windsor thus crippling any possibility the Rangers could get fair value for this asset.
2) Knowing Bracco would only go to Windsor, Rychel low balling the Rangers more than he needed to even though no matter what, he'd be getting Bracco at a bargain basement price.
3) Our weak GM in Kitchener for rolling over and taking the screwing from WR when he should have had enough backbone to negotiate a better deal - mainly with more substantial conditions on those distant, distant 2nd rounders.

For these reasons, it terrifies me to no end that the Spits will finish somewhere among the top three in the conference thus giving them an easy 1st round opponent.

It terrifies me to no end that they may win their first round series (or even one game for that matter) if they do face a tough first round opponent.

It also terrifies me to no end that the final seedings in the west will be such that if the Spits do manage to get past the first round, they'd run into a favorable opponent in the second round. (ie. avoiding London and Erie in the second round).

And finally, it terrifies me that Windsor will have a successful Memorial Cup tourney. It'll be a huge blow for me if they even win one game. I'm praying for an 0-3 performance and quick exit.

I despise the London Knights and have never hoped for a London win - even at Memorial Cups when they've played teams from other leagues. But if Windsor runs into them in the post season, I'd like nothing more than for them to sweep Windsor.

I wish Bracco every success in his career as he was great as a Ranger - but not until after this post season. No disrespect to the Windsor faithful, but I wish nothing but misfortune to Bracco and the Spits the rest of this season.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The team that scares me the most this spring is the Windsor Spitfires. As a Ranger fan who's rear end will be sore for a very very long time after the screw job we got in the Bracco trade, I'm terrified that this team will be successful this post season.

Three things have combined to have me feeling this way:
1) Bracco using his NTC to get to Windsor thus crippling any possibility the Rangers could get fair value for this asset.
2) Knowing Bracco would only go to Windsor, Rychel low balling the Rangers more than he needed to even though no matter what, he'd be getting Bracco at a bargain basement price.
3) Our weak GM in Kitchener for rolling over and taking the screwing from WR when he should have had enough backbone to negotiate a better deal - mainly with more substantial conditions on those distant, distant 2nd rounders.

For these reasons, it terrifies me to no end that the Spits will finish somewhere among the top three in the conference thus giving them an easy 1st round opponent.

It terrifies me o no end that they may win their first round series (or even one game for that matter) if they do face a tough first round opponent.

It also terrifies me to no end that the final seedings in the west will be such that if the Spits do manage to get past the first round, they'd run into a favorable opponent in the second round. (ie. avoiding London and Erie in the second round).

And finally, it terrifies me that Windsor will have a successful Memorial Cup tourney. It'll be a huge blow or me if they even win one game. I'm praying for an 0-3 performance and quick exit.

I despise the London Knights and have never hoped for a London win - even at Memorial Cups when they've played teams from other leagues. But if Windsor runs into them in the post season, I'd like nothing more than for them to sweep Windsor.

I wish Bracco every success in his career as he was great as a Ranger - but not until after this post season. No disrespect to the Windsor faithful, but I wish nothing but misfortune to Bracco and the Spits the rest of this season.
Go ahead and vent if you feel the need, it is always better to talk things through.

For me the scariest team is the one you are playing - Anything can happen in junior hockey and it usually does.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Hollywood99:

Well that was a heckuva way for your team to show me last night! Mind you, the Storm were horrible, but it wouldn't likely have mattered. As I said in the other thread, it was domination.

As for bias, I have none. Don't take what I wrote personally. I don't have any idea what you mean about choking against bad teams. I was merely pointing out that a large chunk of the win streak is against the league's poopty teams....which, is undeniable and continued last night.

I even said I thought they were a good team.....just not on the same level as the big boys. I think perhaps I underestimated them, but still, I stand by what I said. I'd still be more fearful of London and Erie especially, but Owen Sound is making themselves hard to ignore for sure.

Enjoy the ride...you've got a good, veteran, well-built team....I hope they can knock off one of the big boys, but I am still not convinced.

And don't take any criticism too personally :D

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016

Oh please, this is nonsense. He's competent, but let's not get carried away. Watch the man during a critical time out as he stares off into space and chews! Marvel as he tells the best line in junior hockey to go on for another shift! Be dazzled by his collection of value village sports jackets! But please don't pretend he's some great coach. He's competent.

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
Hollywood99:

Well that was a heckuva way for your team to show me last night! Mind you, the Storm were horrible, but it wouldn't likely have mattered. As I said in the other thread, it was domination.

As for bias, I have none. Don't take what I wrote personally. I don't have any idea what you mean about choking against bad teams. I was merely pointing out that a large chunk of the win streak is against the league's poopty teams....which, is undeniable and continued last night.

I even said I thought they were a good team.....just not on the same level as the big boys. I think perhaps I underestimated them, but still, I stand by what I said. I'd still be more fearful of London and Erie especially, but Owen Sound is making themselves hard to ignore for sure.

Enjoy the ride...you've got a good, veteran, well-built team....I hope they can knock off one of the big boys, but I am still not convinced.

And don't take any criticism too personally :D

I actually copied this from an Electric Ice poster (CHL Watcher) he is not an HF member.

IMHO Erie is the team to beat and you can lump the rest in the same basket.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Oh please, this is nonsense. He's competent, but let's not get carried away. Watch the man during a critical time out as he stares off into space and chews! Marvel as he tells the best line in junior hockey to go on for another shift! Be dazzled by his collection of value village sports jackets! But please don't pretend he's some great coach. He's competent.

We'll likely never know how good he really is. When you never have to coach a team that is in "down" years, it's pretty easy to rack up the wins. The guy could be a wizard behind the bench, or he could be a stumble bum back there and it's the talent recruited on the team and competent assistants in place that look after things.

Until he coaches a team that is in a market that doesn't have all the advantages that London does, we'll never know how good he really is. And we all know that ain't happening.

I'd say a big part of his coaching success can be attributed to the scouting staff, the connections needed to get the best imports, and the fact they are a "destination" team.

Of course, the same can be said for any coach who has perennial success under the same situations. I'd put DeBoer in that category during his time in Plymouth and Kitchener. It's the guy who has all those advantages and can't get it done that is exposed as a poor coach. We had a guy like that in Kitchener - Steve Spott.

At the end of the day, I'd expect that Dale is somewhere in between being a wizard and a stumble bum.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

How so?
He's been fortunate to always have several top players on his team's. Great players can make a coach look great too.

Ryan McGill has exactly the same number of Memorial Cup rings as a coach, only he's had to coax his success out small market teams.
He's proving this to be no fluke, he's doing the same in his second season in the O.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Non-playoff team fan chiming in....although, if Saginaw and Sarnia do their best 15/16 Guelph Storm impersonations, perhaps the Storm can find a way to get into 8th!

That said, I'm going to stir the pot.

Owen Sound is massively overrated right now.

Recency bias has made people think this is a team that can hang with the big boys - LON, SSM and Erie.

The fact is, they were a mediocre team prior to this hot streak, and will remain one after it's over. Here's their win streak opponents and their OA rank:

GUE (18), KGN (13), BAR (20), SUD (15), NB (17), KIT (9), BAR (20), SSM (1), WSR (6), KIT (9).

There are a couple of signature wins in there, but that's a lot of basement fodder too. They could even stretch this streak out - next two are against a powerhouse Storm team.

I'm not saying they aren't a good team - but one of the most feared heading into the playoffs? I don't buy it.

That said....their team plays a style geared towards the playoffs, and they do have a great goaltender.

But, this is about which teams scare you in the playoffs, and to me that's the big boys.

OK....tell me why I am wrong :popcorn:

I guess that last ass kicking the Attack handed the Storm has struck a nerve?

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Nobody gets by a healthy London Knights. To many solid vets, offense, defense and goltending. Not to mention big game experience. Just the facts, I wouldn't bet against them.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
It has to be North Bay in the East; There will be no surprises in the West.
NB is much better than their record so their lower seed will take the Petes/Gens by surprise.

NB played a month with a third string goalie during that 9 game losing streak in Dec/Jan. They lost the starter and a very good backup in Dec.
They've played short on defence most of the year. In fact, Butler made trades only to fill roster spots since they lacked bodies most the year. They've been so depleted on D that they consistently call up 2 D from their NOJHL affiliate.

With 21 games left and no injury relief in sight until mid March, if they keep the 7 or 8th seed, I believe they can upset their opponent.

Butler teams are usually well prepared defensively and thrive in the playoffs. Defence wins playoff rounds.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
It has to be North Bay in the East; There will be no surprises in the West.
NB is much better than their record so their lower seed will take the Petes/Gens by surprise.

NB played a month with a third string goalie during that 9 game losing streak in Dec/Jan. They lost the starter and a very good backup in Dec.
They've played short on defence most of the year. In fact, Butler made trades only to fill roster spots since they lacked bodies most the year. They've been so depleted on D that they consistently call up 2 D from their NOJHL affiliate.

With 21 games left and no injury relief in sight until mid March, if they keep the 7 or 8th seed, I believe they can upset their opponent.

Butler teams are usually well prepared defensively and thrive in the playoffs. Defence wins playoff rounds.

This is a joke right ? they are tied for 8/9th in the worst conference of all time. Peterborough or Missi are taking the East, no questions asked.

Really hoping this was a joke.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
This is a joke right ? they are tied for 8/9th in the worst conference of all time. Peterborough or Missi are taking the East, no questions asked.

Really hoping this was a joke.

Unless you know their situation, which I doubt you do, you wouldn't understand how banged up they've been.

They currently have 4 regular defencemen out for the rest of the season. They are due back near the end, just in time for the playoffs.
They were neck and neck with Oshawa before the injuries hit. Hopefully they actually stay in the playoff hunt. 7 or 8 doesn't matter.

They've fared pretty well against both clubs.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
While I still wouldnt put money on North Bay beating a Peterborough or Misssissauga in the playoffs, Gr8northscout brings up a great point about them not being as bad as their record shows.

I expect with a full roster North Bay could make those top teams sweat even just slightly.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Unless you know their situation, which I doubt you do, you wouldn't understand how banged up they've been.

They currently have 4 regular defencemen out for the rest of the season. They are due back near the end, just in time for the playoffs.
They were neck and neck with Oshawa before the injuries hit. Hopefully they actually stay in the playoff hunt. 7 or 8 doesn't matter.

They've fared pretty well against both clubs.

I doubt North Bay Battalion would win in a playoff series versus the Peterborough Petes. Last season the Battalion had all they could handle against the Petes in the first round of the playoffs. This season the Petes are a far better team than they were last, while the Battalion have lost some key players from last year. Jody Hull knows how to counter Stan Butler's systems.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad