Which team(s) should be next in line for outdoor game?

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Eh go full redneck and do Bristol Motor Speedway? :P They had 156K for a football game there.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Edmonton vs Calgary, played on Lake Louise. All fans get there by transit bus. They can hike into the mountains for a view wherever they like. Littering punishable by death.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Next time an outdoor game is in Philly, have it at Franklin Field. It's a Mecca for track, former home of the Eagles, and on the campus of Penn. Seems like there will be two outdoor games next year, and we know where. Who should the opponents be? Hard to say who should visit Minnesota in the Winter Classic. Winnipeg you would think, but then that's 2 years in a row for them. STL maybe? As for the game in Carolina, the 'Canes don't have any real rivals, but maybe Washington? Or maybe TB since they'd have a hard time hosting one.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Next time an outdoor game is in Philly, have it at Franklin Field. It's a Mecca for track, former home of the Eagles, and on the campus of Penn. Seems like there will be two outdoor games next year, and we know where. Who should the opponents be? Hard to say who should visit Minnesota in the Winter Classic. Winnipeg you would think, but then that's 2 years in a row for them. STL maybe? As for the game in Carolina, the 'Canes don't have any real rivals, but maybe Washington? Or maybe TB since they'd have a hard time hosting one.
Those two teams have the strongest chance. Plus the recent history with the Caps in the playoffs

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Heritage Classic:
-BOS @ MTL (venue would be an issue as previously noted
-CGY @ EDM in Commonwealth Stadium (possibly in 2028 for the 25th anniversary of the original HC and the Oilers 50th anniversary)
-OTT @ TOR in Rogers Centre

Stadium Series/Winter Classic:
VAN @ SEA in CenturyLink Field
PIT @ CBJ in Ohio Stadium
BOS @ CAR in Carter-Finley Stadium
SJ @ VGK in Sam Boyd Stadium
LA @ ANA in Angel Stadium
FLA @ TB in Raymond James Stadium
PHI @ NJ in SHI Stadium
LA @ ARI in Chase Field
NYR @ NYI in Citi Field
STL @ NSH in Nissan Stadium
DAL @ MIN Target Field

Special Games:
America 250 Classic:
-PHI @ WSH on the National Mall (2026 in celebration of the 250th anniversary of Independence)

Hometown Classic:
-COL vs PIT in Cole Harbour, NS (or Halifax. Temporary stadium of 20,000 or so)

The special games are basically fantasy. The 250 game is based on the Sens Parliament Hill idea that was floated around. It was considered not feesible and was scrapped in favour of what turned out to be the NHL 100 Classic. The Cole Harbour game would basically be Sid vs McKinnon. It would have drawing power in Canada as you can’t watch TV without seeing those two in a Tim’s ad.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Perhaps Mexico City?

31 Thoughts: Making sense of Toffoli trade for Canucks - Sportsnet.ca

16. Carolina’s outdoor game will continue the trend into locales no one would have considered years ago. Arizona is pushing for a game in Mexico City. Years ago, I asked Bettman if he would put a game in Florida and he said he’d like to, but the humidity was a big concern. I think they’re going to see if they can do it. Edmonton is runaway leader for next Canadian game in fall of 2021.

That would certainly reach out to the Latino community:D

Reactions: Llama19

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Perhaps Mexico City?

31 Thoughts: Making sense of Toffoli trade for Canucks - Sportsnet.ca

16. Carolina’s outdoor game will continue the trend into locales no one would have considered years ago. Arizona is pushing for a game in Mexico City. Years ago, I asked Bettman if he would put a game in Florida and he said he’d like to, but the humidity was a big concern. I think they’re going to see if they can do it. Edmonton is runaway leader for next Canadian game in fall of 2021.

That would certainly reach out to the Latino community:D
If that happened would the NHL consider Toronto vs Arizona only because Auston Matthews is of Mexican decent since his mother was born in Hermosillo, Mexico.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And this is one of the smaller motor speedways, too.
That's actually the reason why it was chosen. It is small enough they could legitimately sell out every seat of the bowl and everyone could still have a somewhat decent view of the game. My seat was about halfway up the bowl in one of the corners, and I spent most of the game watching the giant screen over the field because I could barely make out what was happening in the field of play. There was literally an entire building between my seat and the field, and the closest point of the field was probably 150 yards away from my seat, but I could at least still see what was happening.

In any other track, the stands would simply be too far away from the action to reasonably be sold.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Heritage Classic:
-BOS @ MTL (venue would be an issue as previously noted
-CGY @ EDM in Commonwealth Stadium (possibly in 2028 for the 25th anniversary of the original HC and the Oilers 50th anniversary)
-OTT @ TOR in Rogers Centre

Stadium Series/Winter Classic:
VAN @ SEA in CenturyLink Field
PIT @ CBJ in Ohio Stadium
BOS @ CAR in Carter-Finley Stadium
SJ @ VGK in Sam Boyd Stadium
LA @ ANA in Angel Stadium
FLA @ TB in Raymond James Stadium
PHI @ NJ in SHI Stadium
LA @ ARI in Chase Field
NYR @ NYI in Citi Field
STL @ NSH in Nissan Stadium
DAL @ MIN Target Field

Special Games:
America 250 Classic:
-PHI @ WSH on the National Mall (2026 in celebration of the 250th anniversary of Independence)

Hometown Classic:
-COL vs PIT in Cole Harbour, NS (or Halifax. Temporary stadium of 20,000 or so)

The special games are basically fantasy. The 250 game is based on the Sens Parliament Hill idea that was floated around. It was considered not feesible and was scrapped in favour of what turned out to be the NHL 100 Classic. The Cole Harbour game would basically be Sid vs McKinnon. It would have drawing power in Canada as you can’t watch TV without seeing those two in a Tim’s ad.

Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, and Winnipeg:

giphy.gif

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Heritage Classic: Boston at Toronto.

Winter Classic: New York Rangers at St. Louis.

No need for any other outdoor money-grabs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Heritage Classic: Boston at Toronto.
The way NBC has a say in the teams who play in the Winter Classic since they had to approve Toronto in 2014 and Montreal in 2016, do you think Rogers would approve of an American team playing in a Heritage Classic since so far it's been all Canadian teams that have played in it.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Toronto playing Boston in a Heritage Classic, I'm just wondering if Rogers gets a say in a matter like that the way NBC does on the Winter Classic teams?

Although wouldn't it be easier to have Toronto vs Boston in a Stadium Series game or possibly a Winter Classic?

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The way NBC has a say in the teams who play in the Winter Classic since they had to approve Toronto in 2014 and Montreal in 2016, do you think Rogers would approve of an American team playing in a Heritage Classic since so far it's been all Canadian teams that have played in it.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Toronto playing Boston in a Heritage Classic, I'm just wondering if Rogers gets a say in a matter like that the way NBC does on the Winter Classic teams.
I imagine Rogers would approve an American opponent depending on who that opponent was.

The Canadian appetite for hockey is different than ours. I *think* Canada would tune in to a Heritage Classic featuring an American opponent if the opponent was a Boston, a Detroit, a Pittsburgh or someone like that.

What do you think?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I imagine Rogers would approve an American opponent depending on who that opponent was.

The Canadian appetite for hockey is different than ours. I *think* Canada would tune in to a Heritage Classic featuring an American opponent if the opponent was a Boston, a Detroit, a Pittsburgh or someone like that.

What do you think?
I think by now it's obvious Canadians will watch Hockey no matter what and including American teams to the Heritage Classic would be different in a good way. Just as long as those games are always played in Canada.

I remember reading how the NHL wanted Toronto to host the 2017 Winter Classic against the Rangers and they should have because teams who first played in it as the road team eventually went onto host it. The one exception to that is the Rangers since all their home games must be played at MSG, so that's why they were the road team against Buffalo in 2018, even though it was played in Queens, New York. Anyway NBC objected to the idea of Toronto hosting a Winter Classic and that's where them hosting the Centennial Classic against Detroit was thought of.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad