Which team(s) should be next in line for outdoor game?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
DGB Grab Bag: Which team should be the next to get a second...

Paywall. Emphasis on the teams waiting for their second outdoor game.

Six teams yet to (be scheduled to) play in outdoor game: Tampa Bay, Vegas, Carolina, Columbus, Florida, Arizona.

Teams waiting to play their second: Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, NY Islanders, MInnesota, Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver, St Louis

Florida-centric, Ohio-Carolina and Desert outdoor games? :D

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I don't know who the NHL is marketing to with this but I find the whole concept a boring money grab by this point.

Then again the drama surrounding Vancouver's one outdoor game (which was actually indoor) was the final straw that drove Luongo out of Vancouver, so I may be a bit jaded by the whole thing.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
One of the posters from the Coyotes board is saying on HNIC tonight they mentioned Arizona and Tampa Bay were in the running.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Carolina may host one as soon as next season. Dundon had Bettman tour Carter-Finley stadium across the parking lot when he was here last season and Gary let it be known we're on the league radar for an outdoor game.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If I had to guess, its probably Carolina, if only because Dundon is pressing hard to get one here, to the point where he's outright said he'll just fund one on his own if the league doesn't want to sign us up.

Reactions: DaveG

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Carolina would make the most sense. Invigorated fanbase and ownership right next door to a sizeable stadium.

I wouldn't be surprised if more neutral venues were a thing as well going forward to try to inject a little bit of energy into the events. I will always point to the Yale Bowl as a place that the NHL should have a Rangers/Bruins game at until the end of days, Lambeau seems obvious for yet another Wild/Hawks game (though if the Hawks had the deciding say for a neutral venue for them, I would think they might highlight Indianapolis or maybe another game versus the Blues in Champaign), Beaver Stadium for Pens/Flyers, and cities without teams that could make sense as well, like Cleveland for a Wings/Jackets game.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I don't know who the NHL is marketing to with this but I find the whole concept a boring money grab by this point.
I won't disagree with this. The first Winter Classic was awesome, because it was new. The 2nd was, ... OK. The 3rd was ... ok. The 4th was, ... well, you start to get the point.

Not that I think the whole concept couldn't be made more attractive, just that I don't know what that is. I will say that seeing Chicago in every other outdoor game for a while didn't help, nor did Pittsburgh getting every 4th one. I get wanting to market your stars and popular teams, but that just got absurd after a while and I didn't even want to see Blues-Blackhawks in St. Louis because I was sick of seeing the Blackhawks in outdoor games all the time.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Possible venue(s) for the teams that have yet to play in an outdoor game:

• Arizona: Sun Devil Stadium, Chase Field (if the roof can be opened), or State Farm Stadium (if the roof can be opened; would also have to be in a year it’s not hosting the Super Bowl)
  • Carolina: Carter-Findlay Stadium (Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte could also be an option if they’re willing to drive a little bit)
  • Columbus: Ohio Stadium (Progressive Field and FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, and Great American Ball Park and Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati could also be options if they’re willing to drive a little bit)
  • Florida: Marlins Park (if the roof can be opened) or Hard Rock Stadium (would have to be a year it’s not hosting the Super Bowl)
  • Seattle: Husky Stadium, CenturyLink Field, or T-Mobile Park (if the roof can be opened)
  • Tampa Bay: Raymond James Stadium (would have to be a year it’s not hosting the Super Bowl)
  • Vegas: Sam Boyd Stadium
And for the teams that have played in an outdoor game, but have yet to host one:

• Anaheim: Angel Stadium
  • Montreal: Molson Stadium (and perhaps Olympic Stadium?)
  • Nashville: Nissan Stadium or Vanderbilt Stadium
  • Ottawa: TD Place Stadium
And venues that have yet to host an outdoor game, for teams that have hosted one:

• Chicago: Guaranteed Rate Field
  • Colorado: Broncos Stadium at Mile High
  • Dallas: AT&T Stadium, Globe Life Field
  • Detroit: Comerica Park
  • Los Angeles: LA Coliseum, Rose Bowl (would have to be a Stadium Series game due to the bowl game of the same name)
  • Minnesota: Target Field
  • New Jersey/Islanders/Rangers: MetLife Stadium
  • San Jose: Oracle Park (Stanford Stadium could also be an option if they’re willing to drive a little bit. Oakland Coliseum is probably too much of a dump to be a realistic option)
  • Toronto: Rogers Centre (if the roof can be opened)
  • Washington: FedEx Field (Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore could also be options if they’re willing to drive a little bit)
And a few attractive (IMO) neutral venues that haven’t yet hosted an outdoor game:
  • Beaver Stadium
  • Lambeau Field

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Possible venue(s) for the teams that have yet to play in an outdoor game:

• Arizona: Sun Devil Stadium, Chase Field (if the roof can be opened), or State Farm Stadium (if the roof can be opened; would also have to be in a year it’s not hosting the Super Bowl)
  • Carolina: Carter-Findlay Stadium (Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte could also be an option if they’re willing to drive a little bit)
  • Columbus: Ohio Stadium (Progressive Field and FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, and Great American Ball Park and Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati could also be options if they’re willing to drive a little bit)
  • Florida: Marlins Park (if the roof can be opened) or Hard Rock Stadium (would have to be a year it’s not hosting the Super Bowl)
  • Seattle: Husky Stadium, CenturyLink Field, or T-Mobile Park (if the roof can be opened)
  • Tampa Bay: Raymond James Stadium (would have to be a year it’s not hosting the Super Bowl)
  • Vegas: Sam Boyd Stadium
And for the teams that have played in an outdoor game, but have yet to host one:

• Anaheim: Angel Stadium
  • Montreal: Molson Stadium (and perhaps Olympic Stadium?)
  • Nashville: Nissan Stadium or Vanderbilt Stadium
  • Ottawa: TD Place Stadium
And venues that have yet to host an outdoor game, for teams that have hosted one:

• Chicago: Guaranteed Rate Field
  • Colorado: Broncos Stadium at Mile High
  • Dallas: AT&T Stadium, Globe Life Field
  • Detroit: Comerica Park
  • Los Angeles: LA Coliseum, Rose Bowl (would have to be a Stadium Series game due to the bowl game of the same name)
  • Minnesota: Target Field
  • New Jersey/Islanders/Rangers: MetLife Stadium
  • San Jose: Oracle Park (Stanford Stadium could also be an option if they’re willing to drive a little bit. Oakland Coliseum is probably too much of a dump to be a realistic option)
  • Toronto: Rogers Centre (if the roof can be opened)
  • Washington: FedEx Field (Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore could also be options if they’re willing to drive a little bit)
And a few attractive (IMO) neutral venues that haven’t yet hosted an outdoor game:
  • Beaver Stadium
  • Lambeau Field

Ottawa has hosted an outdoor game.

They hosted the Montreal Canadians at Lansdowne Park in 2017.

But it is understandable that people forget about it considering even i as a Sens fan keep on forgetting that the Sens actually did host an outdoor game. lol

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not for anything, but why would they put an outdoor game where there is poor attendance? Yea its likely they'd probably sell out but still.

Nothing taken except you kinda contradicted yourself there.

Because if they’re likely to sell out as you say, then our “poor attendance” doesn’t really factor into it, does it.????

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nothing taken except you kinda contradicted yourself there.

Because if they’re likely to sell out as you say, then our “poor attendance” doesn’t really factor into it, does it.????

Seems weird to reward a team with poor attendance and one that loses a lot of money.

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Seems weird to reward a team with poor attendance and one that loses a lot of money.

Yet the Coyotes were rewarded with the 2004 All Star game in spite of what you’ve just said. The lockout cancelled the game and ever since then the feeling in these parts is the NHL owes Arizona another event. But the ownership and arena instabilities have made it impossible for them to commit to it.

OTOH.... Outdoor games aren’t a “reward”. They’re a made for TV money grab. The key will be how much they can get from a matchup that will draw not just local interest but a regional/national audience draw on top of it where the real money is.

The Coyotes by themselves won’t create much draw unless they become a top echelon team on the ice or they’re put up against an opponent who can pull interest from a larger area. That will be the determining factor.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Ottawa has hosted an outdoor game.

They hosted the Montreal Canadians at Lansdowne Park in 2017.

But it is understandable that people forget about it considering even i as a Sens fan keep on forgetting that the Sens actually did host an outdoor game. lol

How could you forget? Melynk's PR work that weekend was one of his top 5 moments.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I'd like to see the Canucks play an outdoor game in an actual outdoor setting as opposed to BC place which was a pure cash grab. I dont think it would work anywhere in the PNW so they'd have to be the visiting team.

Perhaps a McDavid vs Pettersson matchup in Edmonton could be enticing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yet the Coyotes were rewarded with the 2004 All Star game in spite of what you’ve just said. The lockout cancelled the game and ever since then the feeling in these parts is the NHL owes Arizona another event. But the ownership and arena instabilities have made it impossible for them to commit to it.

OTOH.... Outdoor games aren’t a “reward”. They’re a made for TV money grab. The key will be how much they can get from a matchup that will draw not just local interest but a regional/national audience draw on top of it where the real money is.

The Coyotes by themselves won’t create much draw unless they become a top echelon team on the ice or they’re put up against an opponent who can pull interest from a larger area. That will be the determining factor.

Even back in the earlier part of this decade when they were a consistent playoff team, they were still last or in the bottom 3 for attendance. They made it to the WCF in 2012 yet attendance barely improved the next season.

& for people to feel like the NHL owes Arizona another event is laughable. Did they forget the league was the sole reason they haven't been relocated / why they haven't folded? Did they forget about those years where the league either owned the team or prevented people from buying + moving it?

Reactions: Llama19

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Just have the Lightning do one on the road please..... an outdoor game at Raymond James is f***ing absurd. Our weather doesn't hold up for it. Don't force something that isn't there and just give us a road game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad