Which team has the best centre spine right now?

penguins2946*

How are kopitar and Carter 3Cs?

Take off the homer glasses. I think Pens go down a notch b/c guys like Datsyuk and Kopitar can shut down Crosby while providing offense.

I meant all of Stoll, Richards, Sutter and Goc are 3Cs. That wasn't hard to get from my post seeing how the original post I made mentioned Goc, Sutter, Stoll and Richards.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
And again, the Kings being better than the Pens doesn't mean that the Kings centers are better than the Pens centers. That is absolutely ludicrous, I have no idea why people think that makes sense at all.

Because hockey is a team game, believe it or not. Balance matters.

It's like that stupid "Giroux and Voracek are the best duo" thread. Who cares? Great, they're the best duo, and they aren't even going to make the playoffs. Yay.

penguins2946*

Because hockey is a team game, believe it or not. Balance matters.

It's like that stupid "Giroux and Voracek are the best duo" thread. Who cares? Great, they're the best duo, and they aren't even going to make the playoffs. Yay.

And having Crosby and Malkin doesn't impair the Pens ability to have balance in their roster, bad contracts to players who can be replaced for much cheaper is what prevents the Pens from balancing their roster. Let's see if you're singing a similar tone when Kopitar breaks $10 million on his new deal.

penguins2946*

I could have sworn this thread has the words "right now" in the title, but I must be mistaken.:p:

And what I'm even discussing isn't even related to the thread. This thread is about the best center spine, not the most valuable center spine. I'm arguing that the Kings being better than the Pens does not mean the Kings centers are better than the Pens centers, because it's an absolutely stupid suggestion.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
I'm not saying they are the best overall, but the Isles definitely have the best center spine in terms of depth.

Centers right now: Tavares-Nielsen/Nelson-Cizikas

On top of that add in: Grabovski and Strome, and then in a crazy need, Bailey.

And though they aren't here right now, there are some great centers in the likes of Sundstrom (who play very well during our injury spree last season), Alan Quine (who is taking big steps) and Kael Mouillierat (who is tied for team lead in points and playing well in BP). May not be the best centers in the league, but definitely deep.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Pens are number one, there's just no denying that 1-2 punch (plus Suter is nothing to sneeze at as a 3C)

From there on out I say the following teams are all about even:

LA
Boston
Isles
TB

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
I think the most interesting aspect of the replies is there is a clear split between fans.

One group believes in depth across the lines and one believes in a front loading that is enough to paper over potential cracks further down.

On paper I think the Kings have the best day to day lines for C and the Bolts are right there as well. I do think the Isles have superb depth across six or seven players. We have an abundance of skilled, hard working two way guys which is rare.

Pens definitely have the money players on 1/2 and I agree Sutter and Goc are good guys in there as well.

Been an interesting thread.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not saying they are the best overall, but the Isles definitely have the best center spine in terms of depth.

Centers right now: Tavares-Nielsen/Nelson-Cizikas

On top of that add in: Grabovski and Strome, and then in a crazy need, Bailey.

And though they aren't here right now, there are some great centers in the likes of Sundstrom (who play very well during our injury spree last season), Alan Quine (who is taking big steps) and Kael Mouillierat (who is tied for team lead in points and playing well in BP). May not be the best centers in the league, but definitely deep.
You can't say things like 'definitely' when you don't have any idea whether it's true or not. Which it obviously isn't.

Wings center depth:

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Weiss
Sheahan
Helm
Glendening
Andersson

Those are natural centers. Throw in Franzen and Abdelkader as two guys with a lot of experience playing the position as well.

I think on the whole Wings are being underrated down the middle. But guys like Riley Sheahan and Luke Glendening are probably pretty unknown for most. They're quality though.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
You can't say things like 'definitely' when you don't have any idea whether it's true or not. Which it obviously isn't.

Wings center depth:

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Weiss
Sheahan
Helm
Glendening
Andersson

Those are natural centers. Throw in Franzen and Abdelkader as two guys with a lot of experience playing the position as well.

I think on the whole Wings are being underrated down the middle. But guys like Riley Sheahan and Luke Glendening are probably pretty unknown for most. They're quality though.

You're correct I used a turn of phrase that wasn't right . I don't definitely know the Isles are best.

I do think they have more than detroit though. Not by much at all mind.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Wings center depth:

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Weiss
Sheahan
Helm
Glendening
Andersson

Is Zets a full time center now?

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
The eastern bias is so bad its a joke

nyi and boston hahahah

carter
kopitar
stoll
richards

Chill out, nobody is denying LA's perseverance in the past few postseasons. This conversation is strictly about depth @ center position, and given that context I'd say the Bruins and LA are about as close as two excellent teams could be in that respect. That being said, if we're rating these players on overall skill alone, I think the Isles have them both edged out.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
You're correct I used a turn of phrase that wasn't right . I don't definitely know the Isles are best.

I do think they have more than detroit though. Not by much at all mind.

More. Maybe.
Quality.
I would doubt it.
We have two #1s, even though zetterberg gets put on pavels wing sometimes. Two #2s in Weiss and sheahan.
And arguably the best #3 in helm,
(Is the best according to Babcock) and Glendenning has shut down Crosby and Malkin more than A few times.
I would say its a homers opinion.
But our depth Down The middle is unbelievable.

Last year we had so many injuries that we found out how good our kids were really fast.
But were going to have a giant #1 hole in the future when dats and z leave.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
I'm surprised there isn't more love for a team like St Louis. Again, not necessarily pound for pound top players at each line on C but overall they do have a very effective unit to call on at that position.

I think that's where I see the Isles being amongst the better teams...

Tavares isn't elite but one of the best guys just below. Brock Nelson is an absolute monster this season. Frans Nielsen is a superb two way guy and the shootout king (and just look at the record in the skills comp this season for the Isles) and Cizikas has out up 9 points in a nice little streak that won us some very close games.

Aside from that you also have Ryan Strome, drafted and projected to be a C but now putting up super numbers and +/- on RW and Grabovski who was good enough for 2C at many other clubs and plays RW on long Island. Below all that there's also Josh Bailey who I still think could slot in where needed.

Do we have a 1/2 punch like the pens? No. Do we arguably have as good a current unit as the Kings? Maybe but it isn't proven post season.

Is there considerable depth there to step in if a couple of centers were injured? Yes.

If Tavares and Nelson were hurt then being able to call on Strome and Grabovski is a luxury not that many teams have.

Good thread so far, good perspectives.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
More. Maybe.
Quality.
I would doubt it.
We have two #1s, even though zetterberg gets put on pavels wing sometimes. Two #2s in Weiss and sheahan.
And arguably the best #3 in helm,
(Is the best according to Babcock) and Glendenning has shut down Crosby and Malkin more than A few times.
I would say its a homers opinion.
But our depth Down The middle is unbelievable.

Last year we had so many injuries that we found out how good our kids were really fast.
But were going to have a giant #1 hole in the future when dats and z leave.

That's true, how do your replace the irreplaceable in datysuk and zetterberg?

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
That's true, how do your replace the irreplaceable in datysuk and zetterberg?

You hope and pray that the wings organization is truly as mystically good at getting late round steals as they appear to be.
Ha.
Buy honestly in the future I just see them being a team like st Louis, where they don't really have that superstar elite center, just strength and balance down the middle and really good scoring wingers.

Not taking anything away from backes, but hes not an elite 1c, and lehtera could be elite, he looks good so far.
He has awesome chemistry with Tara.

But in the future on the wings we got Tatar, Nyquist, , Jurco, mantha, pulkinnen.
So it'll be a group effort like what happened on d when lidstrom retired.
No one will ever be able to fully replace them.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
Speaking of elite centers, how's tavares looking?
That knee look like its gonna hold up for the playoffs?

Well I just said i don't believe he's an elite yet. He's just below that level.

He says he isn't playing hurt but he looks like it to me. I honestly think the secondary scoring has changed him. He doesn't carry the team on the back anymore and for that I think his intensity has dropped a level.

Saying that his clutch goal vs tampa was hopefully the monkey off his back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad