Which team do Lightning fans hate the most?

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Habs fans are being really nice to us in the main board thread.

It's not that I don't appreciate it, but I'm kind of at a loss. Detroit fine, but the Habs? Weird.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Habs fans are being really nice to us in the main board thread.

It's not that I don't appreciate it, but I'm kind of at a loss. Detroit fine, but the Habs? Weird.

There's also a strange amount of confidence with them--like, "we can't lose" amount of confidence with some of them. If you go on their board, there's a lot of trashing on Detroit.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Habs, by far. So many other fans know they get hometown calls, CONSTANTLY, and the league never does anything about it. They're by far my #1. Boston is probably 2 though.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
1. Bruins
Arrogant team and arrogant fans, fuelled by the 2011 playoffs.
2. Habs
Pretty much like Bruins, these two are in their own league.
3. Caps
From the Southeast days mostly, so this may drop going forward.
4. Rangers
Loud, big spenders with a bunch of dreadful fans
5. Sabres
They always seem to have these punks like Kaleta playing for them.

HM: Panthers
Used to be more of a rivalry, would be nice if it would build up more going forward and that could well happen considering they are improving a lot as a team.

Toronto could also climb up there but as long as they are bad you can't take them seriously.

This is in general, all these teams have nice fans as well.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
It wasn't too many years ago where the easy answer for me would be the Flyers, not only because of the Lightning/Flyers, but because of the overarching Tampa/Philadelphia rivalry that existed in the early 2000's. The Bucs kept running into the Eagles in the playoffs, and finally got past in 2002, and, similarly, the Lightning's first playoff opponent were the Flyers, lost to them the first time, and then when they met them again, also in the Conference Final, they were able to solve them en route to winning the Cup.

(Then there was also the 2008 World Series, and more Tampa/Philadelphia stuff, but I'm not a Rays fan and that was just a bit removed from the early '00s heyday that I speak of.)

Alas, that one has cooled off, and eventually a deep-seeded hatred of Boston teams everywhere took over, so it would have to be the Bruins now for me.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I've hated the Rangers for a few years. My brother is a homer Ranger fan who insists they will win the Cup at the start of every season. Apparently they have the best 18 skaters to ever lace up a pair of skates. The St. Louis drama makes me hate them even more. I want to see them lose. I relish it.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hate is a strong word. I don't have a lot of sympathy for Boston, Pittsburgh and Montreal though.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
1. Bruins
2. Montreal
3. Caps/ Flyers/ Pens

And Detroit just when they come to Tampa, because of the traitors

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
I'm on the Lightning bandwagon and hate my own team right now so I'll say the Sharks.

Ha ha, I was wondering who voted for the Sharks.

I lived in the Tampa Bay area for a year back in 2011-12 and had a great time going to some Bolts games, the Lightning are definitely my eastern team.

I balanced your pick out by picking the Ducks.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Rangers. Typical ******** that very rarely grow their own talent. Their team is always controlled by their limitless checkbook. And their fans are New Yorkers.

Rangers are basically Microsoft. Instead of creating their own unique content, they just buy out other companies and put their disgusting brand on it.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
It's been the Flyers since the 95-96 playoffs. I remember how intense the crowd was, and how annoying the Flyers fans were. Two fights right near us in the first game. As a kid I was wondering, who are these clowns fighting in our arena?

Plus the fights on the ice. Just created a hatred for that team.

The Habs are a definite second though.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Wow I didn't realize how much you all hated us and our team, I always root for Tampa teams when my team goes out:laugh:

I think the Thunderbug/Bruins fan incident may have added more hate to it. :laugh:

There's always a solid level of hate towards New York, Boston, and Philly fans from this area. Mostly because when fans of those cities teams come here, they outnumber the local fans and can be obnoxious.

I've never hated the Bruins until recently when I found them to be on the dirty side on many games. Stamkos doesn't fight, but he chose the Bruins to fight against. So that says something.

So a combination of dislike towards the team, and a general dislike of Boston teams and their fans.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers

Their organization treats their Season ticket holders like crap and screws them.

Their fans are bitter and salty and when a player goes through some struggles they want them shipped out of town.

Their GM is a hypocrite.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Rangers

Their organization treats their Season ticket holders like crap and screws them.

Their fans are bitter and salty and when a player goes through some struggles they want them shipped out of town.

Their GM is a hypocrite.

Really? Just no benefits to being a season ticket holder or what?

I'm curious, I figure being a season ticket member for them would be decent compared to other teams.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really? Just no benefits to being a season ticket holder or what?

I'm curious, I figure being a season ticket member for them would be decent compared to other teams.

Not that exactly. It's about the lying. They refuse to downgrade your tickets, and will say half seasons are not available. You call back as a potential new member and they will sell you the half season packages with no questions asked. I went through this, and after getting into an argument about ticket plans, caught them in their lie, and they charged my debit card out of spite for an entire season, which was over $14,000 , causing things to bounce in my checking account, and had to wait 2 months to get my money back. No class whatsoever. The fans were the final straw.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Not that exactly. It's about the lying. They refuse to downgrade your tickets, and will say half seasons are not available. You call back as a potential new member and they will sell you the half season packages with no questions asked. I went through this, and after getting into an argument about ticket plans, caught them in their lie, and they charged my debit card out of spite for an entire season, which was over $14,000 , causing things to bounce in my checking account, and had to wait 2 months to get my money back. No class whatsoever. The fans were the final straw.
Wow, that is absolutely brutal.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wow, that is absolutely brutal.

The Callahan trade certainly sparked some anger as well but would of gotten over it. Not going to lie, was going to root for both teams moving forward, but then this happens. I just can't root for the Rangers anymore, and I do like a lot of their players. I think everything happens for a reason, have a place now in Florida about 45 mins from Amalie Arena. So I'm happy with the outcomes to be honest. I can now go down to Florida and catch some games while getting away from the NYC rat race.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB

That's terrible business practice. Did you consider seeking legal recourse for that? I know it would be a tough battle against a pro sports team with their budget, but that is not right at all.

You'd figure they'd rather keep you at a half season than lose you for good, which they did with you. Did you ever write/e-mail to anyone higher up?

I've only been to one game at MSG. It was against the Devils and when a Devils fan stood up to cheer, a Rangers fan poured beer on his seat. Other than that, I don't remember anything too bad about the fans.

Islanders are going to be in Brooklyn next year though :handclap:

I would also love to trade with you anytime living in NYC/FL for periods of time. I love going home to see family. I wish I could make it up there more often.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's terrible business practice. Did you consider seeking legal recourse for that? I know it would be a tough battle against a pro sports team with their budget, but that is not right at all.

You'd figure they'd rather keep you at a half season than lose you for good, which they did with you. Did you ever write/e-mail to anyone higher up?

I've only been to one game at MSG. It was against the Devils and when a Devils fan stood up to cheer, a Rangers fan poured beer on his seat. Other than that, I don't remember anything too bad about the fans.

Islanders are going to be in Brooklyn next year though :handclap:

I would also love to trade with you anytime living in NYC/FL for periods of time. I love going home to see family. I wish I could make it up there more often.

I got my money back, not much more I can do. MSG is an exciting place, don't get me wrong, but it's overpriced because it is NYC. I have to say have been very impressed with Tampa and the fan base down there. Been to 6 games now, 4 regular season and 2 playoff games. It's been great.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Wow I didn't realize how much you all hated us and our team, I always root for Tampa teams when my team goes out:laugh:

We basically hate the Bruins because of guys like Lucic and Marchand, so pretty much like the rest of league does. :laugh: That plus our terrible record against you guys is frustrating as hell. We've been able to break our historic losing streaks against just about every other team except Boston. Often times we'll play well enough to win, only for something crazy to happen and blow it all up. Fortunately it's starting to look like it's turning around a bit. The hate will probably cool off if we don't meet in the playoffs any time soon.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
We basically hate the Bruins because of guys like Lucic and Marchand, so pretty much like the rest of league does. :laugh: That plus our terrible record against you guys is frustrating as hell. We've been able to break our historic losing streaks against just about every other team except Boston. Often times we'll play well enough to win, only for something crazy to happen and blow it all up. Fortunately it's starting to look like it's turning around a bit. The hate will probably cool off if we don't meet in the playoffs any time soon.

Understandable :laugh:
I root for the rays so I have a soft spot for the Bolts as well. Hope you guys sweep the habs and get to the final!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad