Which team comes out looking the best after CAR-MTL offer sheet and subsequent trade?

Which team comes out looking the best after CAR-MTL offer sheet and subsequent trade?

• Total voters

Don Keedix

Jul 9, 2021
Please explain how Carolina is a better team with KK? They filled a need they didn't have. The canes offense was already strong, KK doesnt improve it. This is like the whole Toronto/Tavares situation, except KK is not Tavares, far from it. The canes have holes on D and goaltending... they got a 3rd line center that will play on the wing. They are not a better team, i would argue they may have gotten worse as KK is not very good on the wing.
It's not like the Canes have the Habs' track record for developing players. The Canes have started a bunch of centers early in their career on the wing. And he'll arguably have more talent to work with and a team that'll actually put him in a position to succeed.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Agreed, that's exactly how I see it also, no huge winner or loser in this whole thing. Plus potentially an issue, is that Habs cannot trade either 1st Rd pick at the TDL or sooner until the trade requirements with Arizona are determined. So it ties their hands a bit as far as trying to improve their team until trade requirements are determined.

That was my first reaction to the picks as well... but couldn't they still trade "a" 1st round pick with the qualifier that it will be the one remaining after Arizona takes theirs?

Not ideal and likely depresses the pick value, but possibly feasible??

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
We will see, but I think Carolina successfully hurt Montreal. They also hurt themselves in the process.

I expect both fanbase to be slightly unhappy at the end of it.

Arizona is cool as cucumbers, except with the on-ice product which will be aweful.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Arizona I suppose as atleast they got value.

Carolina overpaid for a 3C, though he only just turned 21 and is going to an organization that can develop properly. Will be interesting to see where he slots into that lineup.

Montréal paid a 1st and a 2nd for a 3C, who's 4 years older and a career high of 38 points. Absolute terrible asset management, especially after trying to look like the smartest guy in the room at the 2018 draft.

Reactions: amethyst

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Seriously what is a 20 point player worth at $6.1 million. Less than a first for sure
Sure...if you think what someone scores at 21 on one team determines what he'll be for his entire future on a completely different one...

Car is clearly gambling on potential so I don't get the assertion he's a 20 point guy. On a place called hockey's future its just weird to see folks argue as if they don't know what potential is.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The mistake was drafting him 3rd overall.
And creating an environment where he's happy to participate in this OS to screw them. And not being able to re sign him. Which is why they lost him and had to accept what is most likely terrible value for a recent 3rd overall pick with a lot of room to grow.

Montreal got taken to the woodshed on that one but the Arizona trade does help

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
The Habs got a better player AND a first and a third.

The Canes overpaid for a worse player and gave up a first and a third.

Arizona is a neutral move I suppose since they get draft picks.

Reactions: bretpatrick7

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Carolina's GM seems to believe Kotkaniemi was misused in Montreal. Perhaps Kotkaniemi and the coaching staff simply didn't get along. We'll see soon enough if a change of scenery and the Finnish effect makes a difference.

How misused and what’s his plan? KK played consistently in 2nd PP wave and had decent 5v5 ice time. He couldn’t prove he should be ahead of Danault and Suzuki. Btw Danault didn’t play on the PP.

What are the Canes plan for him? Looking at their roster they already have solid top 3 centers. He will play wing? He sucks there. They will move someone else to wing to play him 3C? How is it better for him and will he get PP time? KK had the 2C spot reserved for him on the habs. Instead of busting his ass off and take the opportunity next season he took the money and play a lesser role with the Canes.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Agreed, that's exactly how I see it also, no huge winner or loser in this whole thing. Plus potentially an issue, is that Habs cannot trade either 1st Rd pick at the TDL or sooner until the trade requirements with Arizona are determined. So it ties their hands a bit as far as trying to improve their team until trade requirements are determined.

Not that much of an issue to be honest, Bergie never trades his first round picks anyway. This was an exception that is very understandable in the circumstances.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
We will see, but I think Carolina successfully hurt Montreal. They also hurt themselves in the process.

I expect both fanbase to be slightly unhappy at the end of it.

Arizona is cool as cucumbers, except with the on-ice product which will be aweful.
Nope .

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Arizona, because I know Arizona took a positive step in their desired direction - rebuild.

Montreal and Carolina both look a tad bad image wise for this imo, and there's a big question mark over which way this goes.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It depends if Carolina signs Kotkaniemi to a reasonable extension. If they do that it would be smart use of their cap space to acquire him. Only time will tell if he’s worth the picks that were given up. At the moment Kotkaniemi wins.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Kinda surprising seeing Arizona leading the pole considering they are the only team that didn't receive a player

I mean they furthered the tank, and got (potentially) another lotto pick in a deep draft for complementary piece type middle six center. AZ has killed it this off-season.

Of course, if they use the picks poorly they could have a nice long Buffalo type perma rebuild.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Last week: Carolina
Right now: Carolina
3 months: Carolina
1 year: Carolina
2 years: Carolina ainec

Pretty much this and really there are exactly 20 reasons why the canes win this trade and the Habs lose.

Arizona also got some much need draft picks here as well which is being overlooked....

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Habs, who are likely to miss the playoffs, gave up their first in a good draft. How could you skip that?

If the Habs are bad enough to get a top 10 pick then the Yotes get the canes pick though.

It does look like a really good draft year once again though so even a pick around 20-25 could be better than what the Yotes gave up.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Close between Montreal and all being lateral moves. Montreal had the biggest need of them all, the center position, and Dvorak is indeed an upgrade on KK right now at 2C, especially at such a good contract which fit right onto their team.

Arizona certainly didn't get enough for Dvorak IMO. They should have at least asked for a prospect like Poehling, and only getting a top-10 protected first round pick and another pick in 2024 won't do too much for their rebuild. Odds highly favor that Dvorak will have a better career than whoever they might hope to get/develop in the mid-to-late first round this year (again, considering it is top-10 "protected"). Only 63% of first round picks even make the NHL, and that number nosedives after the top 10 picks.

KK has huge upside and if given the right opportunity in Carolina, can certainly blossom. However, his most likely upside is a middle 6 forward, and given Carolina's current forward depth, he might have trouble making room for himself. Not to mention, I almost wonder if that 6M would have been better served for a rental at the deadline, considering this team should be a playoff contender.

Really, this poll could go in any direction, but for the short-term the answer is Montreal, long-term it could really be any of the above.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Carolina looks like the loser to me. I guess it feels like a 'win' for them in this little feud, but why $6.1m? Why not $4m?
Because despite the insistence of people on this site, this was a player that they wanted and a $4m offer sheet likely gets matched. So they overpay for 1 year to get a player they want.

And if Montreal had matched, hurray it potentially makes things tough for them next year, pettiness achieved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad