Which Shark leads the team in points this year

Who leads the team in points?

• Total voters

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So a full 20 point jump from his career best at the age of 30? Yeah thats not happening.
That's basically what happened with Pavs. 20 point jump at 29 years old so not unprecedented. Obviously, Pavs is anomalous so not like I'm expecting it to happen with Couture.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's basically what happened with Pavs. 20 point jump at 29 years old so not unprecedented. Obviously, Pavs is anomalous so not like I'm expecting it to happen with Couture.

Not that I think it’s likely, but there have been a lot of Sharks who have career years at age 30+. It’s extremely unlikely not but completely impossible that Couture continues the trend.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
And i am pretty sure a jumbo change of line mates happened that season also.

In 2011-2012, Pavelski played most of his 5V5 minutes with Thornton; Thornton was by far his most common linemate up front and Pavelski scored 31 goals and 30 assists. In 2013, Thornton was Pavelski’s 2nd most common linemate at 5V5 and Pavelski was on pace for 27 goals and 26 assists.

There really was just a major transformation in Pavelski as a player in 2013-2014. Thornton had an effect on him for sure but Thornton only has out-scored him once in the past 5 years.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I love Hertl more than anyone but I would be foolish to predict he’d supplant Pavelski and Burns based on ten admittedly excellent playoff games. I would love to be proven wrong, of course. :laugh:

I’m not sure Pavelski himself is “underrated”, but his ability to put up raw point totals definitely is. Burns is the only other guy I considered. Couture and Jumbo, I don’t trust their health.

Ppssssshhhhaaaaa as if!

I agree with you though, as much as I love Hertl, I am not betting on him being the scoring leader on the team.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Still insane to me that Hertl and Kane both got more votes than Pavs. Pavs has averaged 72 points a season the last 5 years. Hertl's career high is 46 points and Kane's is 57. I get that Pavs is getting older while the other 2 are in their primes, but if Vegas released odds on this, I guarantee Pavs would be a huge favorite over Hertl and Kane.

For me its between Pavs, Couture, and Burns. With Thornton having a chance if he can stay healthy and play all season. I'd be shocked if the points leader doesnt come from that group.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Still insane to me that Hertl and Kane both got more votes than Pavs. Pavs has averaged 72 points a season the last 5 years. Hertl's career high is 46 points and Kane's is 57. I get that Pavs is getting older while the other 2 are in their primes, but if Vegas released odds on this, I guarantee Pavs would be a huge favorite over Hertl and Kane.

For me its between Pavs, Couture, and Burns. With Thornton having a chance if he can stay healthy and play all season. I'd be shocked if the points leader doesnt come from that group.

LOL how can it be insane if you then explain exactly why someone might make that choice.

Clearly some think Pavs could have a down year, while Kane or Hertl could have up years. I mean Pavs could very easily slip to like a 55-60pt player. Which either of Kane or Hertl in their prime could feasibly get over if he does slip.

Great odds of this happening, nah, but insane, nah.

Reactions: PackShark

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
LOL how can it be insane if you then explain exactly why someone might make that choice.

Clearly some think Pavs could have a down year, while Kane or Hertl could have up years. I mean Pavs could very easily slip to like a 55-60pt player. Which either of Kane or Hertl in their prime could feasibly get over if he does slip.

Great odds of this happening, nah, but insane, nah.
Guess I just disagree with you on how high the chances are of both Pavs slipping and Kane or Hertl taking big steps forward. Kane has been in the league for what? 9 years now. Pretty sure we know what he is. Hertl at least has some more room to grow and weve seen glimpses of what hes capable of like in last years playoff run. Still would easily have my money on Pavs.

And I'm not necessarily saying its insane that people voted for Hertl or even Kane for that matter. It's insane to me that more people voted for them than Pavs. Pavs is being criminally underrated on this forum imo.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Guess I just disagree with you on how high the chances are of both Pavs slipping and Kane or Hertl taking big steps forward. Kane has been in the league for what? 9 years now. Pretty sure we know what he is. Hertl at least has some more room to grow and weve seen glimpses of what hes capable of like in last years playoff run. Still would easily have my money on Pavs.

And I'm not necessarily saying its insane that people voted for Hertl or even Kane for that matter. It's insane to me that more people voted for them than Pavs. Pavs is being criminally underrated on this forum imo.

Ah ok, well I get that then.

On Kane though, he has scored 57pts in his career already, and this is easily the best team hes played on. So although I am certainly not saying he will be a 60+ point player, I am not sold on the idea that we know how he will produce on this team going forward yet.

edit: changed points total, had wrong number rememberd

Reactions: LA Shark

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Kane will be a dark horse in this. Scored 14 in 15 last year, mid season too, without thornton. I think we'll have the best scoring since 2016 with Meier and Labanc expected step forward, Kane should also take a step forward without being tasked to dig his team out of the grave every night. I think he'll be reaching for 80, honestly. Add the fact that Thornton will have 9 months of rest, we might be Vegas next year running away with the division who knows.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
You guys are predicted year end or season's end? The poll asks for year end.

Year-end is Couture.
Season's end is Kane.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Bold prediction that y'all are going to absolutely hate Kane by the end of the next season.
Nah... on any other team most likely. But we've watched the most selfless player for a decade, long as hes not on the #1 I don think we will.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Head says Burns but heart says Jumbo. I'm optimistic that he plays with Meier or Kane and their youthful exuberance buoys him to a nice bounce back year of 75 points.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Wondering if giving Duncan Siemens an ATO would be worth it? Our LD depth is lacking. He was an 11 oa pick and only 24. Plus kid is like 6 4". Anyone seen him play that they recall

Edit. Ack wrong thread. Not gonna bother reposting this

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I'd love to see Hertl, Meier, Donskoi lead the team in scoring this year, but realistically it's going to Burns, Kane or Pavs. If Thornton stays healthy, he has a great shot also.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I'm really tempted to edit this poll in order to remedy the exclusion of the one true obvious answer. But on second thought that might be considered an abuse of my powers.

I think we all know why he is not on the poll, it would cease to be one, and every vote would go his way. At least this way there is some debate.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Yeah, watch out for Meier!! 55 pts/82 games in the second half with just 2 goals on the year through early december. And just 4 PP points. he'll likely get alot more PP time, and be given a bigger role. He'll play much more than the sub 15 mins/gm, and with 16-17 mins/gm and a regular PP shift, he could explode on the scene.

Not sure he'll emerge as a team leader in points, but dont count him out. Cooch would be my bet, but Meier could be a real wrecking ball. He was also often paired with Labanc and Tierney last year, but this year he might move up to the line with Cooch and Hertl (Tierney, Labanc, and Donkey on the 3rd line potentially). If Meier pairs with cooch, gets the PP time, and some good ice time 5 on 5, he could go 30-30 or better. and If jumbo gets hurt, he might find himself on a line with Pavs and Kane, another potential big boost.

Timo Time!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad