Which Rookies Make the Opening Night Line-Up?

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Vey and Horvat.

Vey's had his cup of tea in the NHL and he's excelled in the AHL. Previous body of work speaks for him there.

Horvat I think is our most complete and NHL ready prospect. I have absolute faith in him to make the team come October but the only thing holding him back is the log jam we have in our bottom 6 forwards. I think he stays another year in the juniors but only for that reason.

Corrado needs more work in the AHL to hone his pro game. Lot of scouting from the Comets indicating that he's not consistent enough and that he could use another year to mature, sort of like Tanev who stayed with the Wolves even though we were desperate to see him up with the big club.

Other than that, no one else. Jensen is too inconsistent. Gaunce is almost there. Shinkaruk missed 3/4's of last season.

LOL well played

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
if gillis was still gm, horvat would be a lock to make the team.

but benning's ties to horvat aren't strong, so i say 50%

vey is pretty much 90% barring scoring in his own net

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Vey - makes the team, not waiver eligible and Willie likely vouched for him
Horvat - a few games before being sent down if he's not ready
Jensen - makes the team
Shinkaruk - my sleeper pick to surprise and make the team right out of camp
Gaunce - AHL
Corrado - starts in AHL, gets called up later

Virtanen and McCann need another year of junior hockey for sure.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
Jensen - Will get 10 games like Horvat, Vey and Gaunce. If he mucks it up he's back to Utica. Here's praying that he steps it up!

Corrado - Same as Jensen.

Vey - 75%. Barring a collosal poop-up, Vey not only gets the try-out, but gets the opportunity which Benning expressed, starting on the 3rd line, working up to the 2nd line. The reason why it's only 75% is that he possibly could collosally poop the bed and show he isn't quite ready for the NHL yet.

Horvat - 25%. Benning already stated they don't want to rush him. They'll give him his 10 games and then send him back to Junior IMO.

Gaunce - 9%. He has a better chance than people make. But based upon Bennings statement that they don't want to rush Bo, I imagine they have the same mentality for
Brendan. Let him play in the AHL. If theres any surprise player who gets a 10 game tryout it's this kid.

Shinkaruk - 2%. Healing from injury, he'll likely go back to junior to find his legs again.

Fox - 2%. Our bottom 6 is filled top the brim. Barring an extraordinary camp, great 10 game tryout, and an injury, there is almost no chance. I think his chances of making the squad is 2%, chance of getting a 10 day tryout is 3-5%.

Cassels - 0.02%

Virtanen - 0.01%

McCann - 0 %

Demko - 0%

Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Corrado, Vey for 10 games.
Only Vey and Corrado stick with big club after that.
Gaunce called up for injuries and plays over 20 games this season.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Jensen - Will get 10 games like Horvat, Vey and Gaunce. If he mucks it up he's back to Utica. Here's praying that he steps it up!

Corrado - Same as Jensen.

Vey - 75%. Barring a collosal poop-up, Vey not only gets the try-out, but gets the opportunity which Benning expressed, starting on the 3rd line, working up to the 2nd line. The reason why it's only 75% is that he possibly could collosally poop the bed and show he isn't quite ready for the NHL yet.

Horvat - 25%. Benning already stated they don't want to rush him. They'll give him his 10 games and then send him back to Junior IMO.

Gaunce - 9%. He has a better chance than people make. But based upon Bennings statement that they don't want to rush Bo, I imagine they have the same mentality for
Brendan. Let him play in the AHL. If theres any surprise player who gets a 10 game tryout it's this kid.

Shinkaruk - 2%. Healing from injury, he'll likely go back to junior to find his legs again.

Fox - 2%. Our bottom 6 is filled top the brim. Barring an extraordinary camp, great 10 game tryout, and an injury, there is almost no chance. I think his chances of making the squad is 2%, chance of getting a 10 day tryout is 3-5%.

Cassels - 0.02%

Virtanen - 0.01%

McCann - 0 %

Demko - 0%

Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Corrado, Vey for 10 games.
Only Vey and Corrado stick with big club after that.
Gaunce called up for injuries and plays over 20 games this season.

That doesn't make sense at all...

McCann has a bigger chance to make the team since he will actually be at both camps. Virtanen isn't cleared to play until October.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
It's the normal roster to start the season, right? So you have to look at the number of waiver eligible players.

FORWARDS
Sedin - Sedin Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - ??????? - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Sestito

DEFENSEMEN
Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Sbisa - Weber
Stanton

GOALTENDERS
Miller
Lack (or Markstrom - doesn't matter for this purpose)

That's 21 players. 2 spots left without rookies. 1 is all but guaranteed to be Vey since he's eligible for waivers.

Maybe Sestito is waived early, but I think he's kept on roster - a heavyweight who can play decent hockey is a very useful piece, particularly with all the goons on Calgary's roster. That means one non-Vey rookies is likely to have a shot.

For opening day, maybe Horvat gets his chance.

Vey: 90%
Horvat: 50%
Corrado: 30%
Others: <10%

MegaSpiderman66

Oct 11, 2011
Cole Cassels and Shinkaruk

I really like Cassels as a fly-under-the-radar type prospect. I think he is sneaky good with great vision and patience as well as an under-rated shot.

If you look at him play with a guy like Michael Dal Colle - a big rugged winger - in Oshawa, you can see how he makes Dal Colle better by either setting him up, or by being in the right place at the right time to finish off a rebound or a scoring chance that Dal Colle will generate with his size and speed.

I could see him playing with a guy like Kassian or Virtanen in the future and complimenting and making these players better. I don't think he will make the opening day line up or anything - or if he will ever even make the big club, but this is HFboards, so I like him nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad