Which Rookies Make the Opening Night Line-Up?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
If everything stays as it is, it looks like we have likely 1-2 rookies who will make the opening night line-up, with a small chance of 3. Which rookies do you think will make the opening night line-up?

Here's an example of how a maximum of three could make our line-up (note 3 is unlikely IMO):

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)
Zack Kassian ($1.750m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) /
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) /
Yannick Weber ($0.850m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
BURIED
Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,333,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,666,667

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I'm going with the three of Corrado, Vey, and Horvat, though I tend to think Horvat could be sent down after 9 games. If so Jensen could be a call up. I think there is also a good chance Corrado starts the year with the Comets. I think Vey will stay up, including because he would have to go through waivers (I think...)

Lundface*

2 - Vey and Corrado

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Vey Hansen
Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Hamhuis Tanev
Edler Corrado
Sbisa Bieksa
Stanton

Miller
Career back up- hoping they trade Lack, give him a chance somewhere else instead of rotting on the bench

Lineup is worse than last season, will need the players to be healthy and bounce back without Tortorella in charge.

He made the team softer and slower. But atleast he added some skill so even if they lose we might see some decent highlites.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
Only Vey, but I picked Horvat because those pictures of him. Looks like an NFL prospect, damn impressive.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Is Gaunce done in junior? Think a year in the AHL would help him, no need to rush.

I think right now there are 8 NHL defence men including Corrado, meaning he will play in the AHL barring injuries so he can 20 minutes a night. Also until the Canucks can convince Hamhuis and Bieksa to accept a trade.

Jensen - should be NHL bound but where does he fit? Let's assume Vey makes the team which is fair, where does Jensen slot in?

Sedins-Vrbata
Kassian-Bonino-Burrows
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

That doesn't include Horvat, Sesito or Jensen.

My thinking is that the Canucks have about 2 too many 3rd and 4th liners still. I think they should deal Matthias, Hansen or Higgins but roughly 2 mill for these guys is a little too much for whoever is on the 4th line.

Horvat - Should make the team but as perviously stated, where the hell does he fit? No good in sending him back to Junior. Maybe keep him around for 8 games? Send him back to junior and to the world juniors?

Shinkaruk - Coming off injury, will spend the entire season in the AHL which will be great, needs to get stronger. Is eligible because he played 4 full junior seasons (correct me if I'm wrong)

Virtanen - Will quickly be send to junior, currently injured but will play for Canada most likely in the WJC.

McCann - will be a decent look but will end up back in junior, if he can dominate then maybe he earns an invite to WJC camp. Didn't have great numbers last year. Needs to show what all the hype is about.

Vey - this guy is the 3rd line centre for the Vancouver Canucks. Has had his time in the AHL, played 18 games last year for the cup champion. He's my pick for rookie of the year.

Zalewski - Plays full season in AHL next year, like him as a player but needs full year of pro. Might get a couple of games in.

Archibald - If the Canucks waive Sesito then maybe Archi gets a look, problem is, right now Canucks greatest depth in with their 4th liners.

My add-ons

Dane Fox - Will be interesting players to watch. Had a crazy great year, will be AHL bound but has a ton of momentum and might get a couple of games if he rips it up. Full year of AHL won't be a bad thing.

Ben Hutton - man, if this guy wasn't going back to college he might get a serious look. He won't be turning pro but when he does, look out. Scored 15 goals last season as a Dman and has scary potential.

Evan McEneney - Shut down Dman with a little offensive touch, had some injury issues in junior but overall solid player. Future shutdown dman for the Canucks in a few years. Believe he is AHL eligible. Will spend full season in AHL grooming.

Ronalds Kenins - Guy who people were oh so excited about during the Olympics. Hopefully coming to North America this year. If the Canucks didn't have so many damn 3rd liners then this guy might have a shot. Hopefully plays full season in AHL and maybe makes the jump next year.

Nikita Tryamkin - My favorite draft pick from this year. Monster (6'7), has played 2 seasons already in the KHL, played last year in WJC for Russia. Apparently has 2 years left with KHL team and then I look at him to come over and make the jump to the Canucks. Not very physical but uses his tools for good use, great reach, seems to get his shot through.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Is Gaunce done in junior? Think a year in the AHL would help him, no need to rush.

I think right now there are 8 NHL defence men including Corrado, meaning he will play in the AHL barring injuries so he can 20 minutes a night. Also until the Canucks can convince Hamhuis and Bieksa to accept a trade.

Jensen - should be NHL bound but where does he fit? Let's assume Vey makes the team which is fair, where does Jensen slot in?

Sedins-Vrbata
Kassian-Bonino-Burrows
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

That doesn't include Horvat, Sesito or Jensen.

My thinking is that the Canucks have about 2 too many 3rd and 4th liners still. I think they should deal Matthias, Hansen or Higgins but roughly 2 mill for these guys is a little too much for whoever is on the 4th line.

Horvat - Should make the team but as perviously stated, where the hell does he fit? No good in sending him back to Junior. Maybe keep him around for 8 games? Send him back to junior and to the world juniors?

Shinkaruk - Coming off injury, will spend the entire season in the AHL which will be great, needs to get stronger. Is eligible because he played 4 full junior seasons (correct me if I'm wrong)

Virtanen - Will quickly be send to junior, currently injured but will play for Canada most likely in the WJC.

McCann - will be a decent look but will end up back in junior, if he can dominate then maybe he earns an invite to WJC camp. Didn't have great numbers last year. Needs to show what all the hype is about.

Vey - this guy is the 3rd line centre for the Vancouver Canucks. Has had his time in the AHL, played 18 games last year for the cup champion. He's my pick for rookie of the year.

Zalewski - Plays full season in AHL next year, like him as a player but needs full year of pro. Might get a couple of games in.

Archibald - If the Canucks waive Sesito then maybe Archi gets a look, problem is, right now Canucks greatest depth in with their 4th liners.

My add-ons

Dane Fox - Will be interesting players to watch. Had a crazy great year, will be AHL bound but has a ton of momentum and might get a couple of games if he rips it up. Full year of AHL won't be a bad thing.

Ben Hutton - man, if this guy wasn't going back to college he might get a serious look. He won't be turning pro but when he does, look out. Scored 15 goals last season as a Dman and has scary potential.

Evan McEneney - Shut down Dman with a little offensive touch, had some injury issues in junior but overall solid player. Future shutdown dman for the Canucks in a few years. Believe he is AHL eligible. Will spend full season in AHL grooming.

Ronalds Kenins - Guy who people were oh so excited about during the Olympics. Hopefully coming to North America this year. If the Canucks didn't have so many damn 3rd liners then this guy might have a shot. Hopefully plays full season in AHL and maybe makes the jump next year.

Nikita Tryamkin - My favorite draft pick from this year. Monster (6'7), has played 2 seasons already in the KHL, played last year in WJC for Russia. Apparently has 2 years left with KHL team and then I look at him to come over and make the jump to the Canucks. Not very physical but uses his tools for good use, great reach, seems to get his shot through.

Thanks for the post. I was thinking of adding Fox, but there were already too many unrealistic poll options. I added Zelewski and Archibald to the first rounders and Vey since they actually played games for the Canucks.

IMO Horvat has a good chance of getting some games at the beginning of the year, maybe at 3C. He will probably we sent down though. I think Vey has more versatility and could start on the wing in this scenario.

Ventana*

The more I see him and his build, the more I'm thinking Horvat, but Vey is pretty much a guaranteed starter I think whether it be on the wing or center.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
If Horvat has a strong camp, i can see him getting a few games early on. Just for a taste, and to give him an idea of what he needs to work on. Then he gets sent back to junior, and Vey takes his spot.

Corrado and Jensen start in Utica, but are the first call-ups, as they've both proven they can keep up with the NHL pace in shorter stints. Shinkaruk/Fox/Gaunce might get some games as injury fill ins if they play well in their roles in Utica.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
2 - Vey and Corrado

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Vey Hansen
Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Hamhuis Tanev
Edler Corrado
Sbisa Bieksa
Stanton

Miller
Career back up- hoping they trade Lack, give him a chance somewhere else instead of rotting on the bench

Lineup is worse than last season, will need the players to be healthy and bounce back without Tortorella in charge.

He made the team softer and slower. But atleast he added some skill so even if they lose we might see some decent highlites.

You left Yanick Weber of on D. I think Frankie starts off in Utica playing big minutes and is the first call up when an injury occurs.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Didn't notice Vey was on the list or I would've voted for him.
Weber isn't a rookie, and I think Corrado starts over him.
Horvat also, assuming Willie is actually going to roll 4 lines it isn't as much of an issue whether he's on the 3rd or 4th line. Under Torts it would've been 3rd line or London.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
There really is no point or room for Corrado on the Canucks roster. He already has 7 NHL defenseman ahead of him, and it would be a waste to sit a guy like Stanton or Sbisa so Corrado can play 13-15 minutes a night on the 3rd pairing.

Corrado starts in Utica, plays 22+ minutes, top powerplay time, top PK time and try to increase his offensive output. He's fine enough defensively, but the Canucks should try to squeeze more offense out of him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Very is sure thing, management has credibility riding on it. You don't spend a 2nd on a 13th forward you can't waive. Any GM is going to try to get the most out his pickup.

No others make it barring injuries or trades as the roster is filled with signed vets.

7 D that need play rules out Corrado who can be stashed in the minors.

Top 9 is set on vets and unwaivables, 4th line is rest of the vets (solid)

sedins vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Vey Hansen
Matthias Richardson Dorset

It might shuffle around but it is set on personnel.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00