Speculation: Which rookies make it this year?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
interesting to see that Fischer is currently leading the pack out of Keller and Strome in most votes...

Common sense. Fischer is the only one of the three who did well when he got to play for the Coyotes last season. I think he scored three times on his first three shots and even played PK during his first game.

Strome and Keller were terrible...did nothing but to give away pucks. Fischer also had a good camp last season and he was the only one of the three who dominated the kids last week.

Fischer has NHL level and the other two aren't even close. Easy to see.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I look at Keller and I'm concerned that maybe he's not ready to be an impact NHLer. He doesn't pass the eye test for me at al in this regard. That said, he's had an absolutley incredible last 14 months. As good as any young player not in the nhl. The hockey world at large (including the "experts") see him as arguably the best drafted prospect in the world and the odds on favorite for the Calder. My high hopes are based on the opinions of others for this player. Personally, I see a kid who needs time. I'm not an expert.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
RE: Keller

I see a kid who needs time as well, but I also see a kid that is making some rapid strides. If I had to call it today, he does not make it. Tomorrow may prove today a thing of the past.

We'll see.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
RE: Keller

I see a kid who needs time as well, but I also see a kid that is making some rapid strides. If I had to call it today, he does not make it. Tomorrow may prove today a thing of the past.

We'll see.

Is Keller Tucson eligible? I have no clue how those rules work.
I'd only worry about him getting destroyed by one of the 'goons' that are career ahl players always looking to make a name for themselves.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I'd only worry about him getting destroyed by one of the 'goons' that are career ahl players always looking to make a name for themselves.

college route, yes he is

Yep, the requirement of a player to be 20 in order to be assigned to the AHL only applies to players drafted out of Canadian major junior. There's no such requirement for players drafted out of the USHL, NCAA, or European leagues, though in practice, European draftees seem like they get left over in Europe rather than brought over to the AHL rather often.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Fischer all year. Strome, McInnis and Merkely rotate through injuries on call ups and after trade deadline. Miska replaces Louie after he ***** the bed.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Why are there no expectations for Mario Kempe on the Coyotes board? I understand this thread is about the younger rookies. But here, and in other threads, I find no mentions of him being a likely candidate to make the team out of camp.

He's 28 years old, has been fairly productive in the KHL and is a versatile winger. Kempe was also with Sweden's World Championship team last spring, though he was never on the active roster for any of the games. But considering all of Sweden's wingers on that roster consisted of established NHL'ers, that's no surprise. Him just being with the team suggests he was one of Sweden's best forwards outside the NHL last season.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Yes.

He's pretty slippery, I'm not too concerned about that.

With Zac Rinaldo in Tucson I wouldn't worry about other teams taking runs at him either. :laugh:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Why are there no expectations for Mario Kempe on the Coyotes board?

Probably because most of us haven't seen him play much in addition to the logjam we have on the LW (even with McGinn being traded). Currently we have Domi, Perlini, Crouse, Martinook, Rieder, Duclair, Keller, and Cousins as LHSs who have already done decently in the NHL and are younger than Kempe. Now if Kempe played well on the RW, I could see him compete for a spot. He'll probably get some looks since he's waiver exempt, but then so are Looke, Merkley, Bunting, and Pederson (among others).

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Why are there no expectations for Mario Kempe on the Coyotes board? I understand this thread is about the younger rookies. But here, and in other threads, I find no mentions of him being a likely candidate to make the team out of camp.

He's 28 years old, has been fairly productive in the KHL and is a versatile winger. Kempe was also with Sweden's World Championship team last spring, though he was never on the active roster for any of the games. But considering all of Sweden's wingers on that roster consisted of established NHL'ers, that's no surprise. Him just being with the team suggests he was one of Sweden's best forwards outside the NHL last season.

I think Kempe is going to make it...Tochett has mentioned him a couple of times as somoen who has caught his attention.

I also think someone like Etem may make it as well , if Strome and Keller dont make it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Common sense. Fischer is the only one of the three who did well when he got to play for the Coyotes last season. I think he scored three times on his first three shots and even played PK during his first game.

Strome and Keller were terrible...did nothing but to give away pucks. Fischer also had a good camp last season and he was the only one of the three who dominated the kids last week.

Fischer has NHL level and the other two aren't even close. Easy to see.

You are talking past tense. Let the kids strut their stuff during preseason and let the chips land where they may. I think one or two of the kids may prove your evaluations wrong, just like McGinn.;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Why? These are hfboards.:) Kempe has caught RT's eye. He mentioned him the other day after practice.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I think we all just have PTSD when it comes to people overhyping rookies, and them either not panning out, or taking off to another team before they do. Keller will be great, I believe he makes the team this year and competes for the Calder Trophy

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You are talking past tense. Let the kids strut their stuff during preseason and let the chips land where they may. I think one or two of the kids may prove your evaluations wrong, just like McGinn.;)

I was actually the only one who hated the signing from the moment it happened and I think by the end of the season, everybody wanted him out. He was really bad so he didn't prove me wrong.
Chayka should have asked Tallon for more trades. Probably would have done it while still drunk:laugh:
Duclair for Barkov or so:handclap:

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
Went with the obvious - Keller, Strome ad Fischer...also went with Kyle Capobianco because well it will be fun to hear everyone butcher the name!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad