Which rookie has the best chance to crack the Flames' lineup?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Backlund was injury prone for a while too. Sven just needs to work on his strength so his body can hold up to the NHL.

Honestly though, Sven's confidence should not be the reason we keep him up. If he can't handle criticism, or being sent down to become a more well rounded player, he's going to be a bust in the NHL. Guys need to have thick skin, because every player goes through down times in their career, and they will guaranteed get criticism from their coach, fans, and especially the media. And guys that are mentally fragile, usually cannot make it because they do not play their game because they are to worried about making a mistake. If Sven wants to make the team this year, that is up to him. I think Hartley is a good puppet master, I think he will get through to Sven.

He will remind him of all those Swiss Chocolate fumes back home. :sarcasm:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If management takes the philosophy of playing your best players I honestly think both Sven and Johnny make the team. Sven's biggest problem IMO was his strength along the boards, which he seems to have addressed this offseason. He also needs to bring it in camp this year, unlike last season. But as far as talent goes he's far ahead of many of our wingers. Johnny is clearly ready from an IQ and skill standpoint. My only concern is amount of games he'll be able to play and be effective. No matter what people say he is small as hell, and his body better be ready to take some punishment.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If management takes the philosophy of playing your best players I honestly think both Sven and Johnny make the team. Sven's biggest problem IMO was his strength along the boards, which he seems to have addressed this offseason. He also needs to bring it in camp this year, unlike last season. But as far as talent goes he's far ahead of many of our wingers. Johnny is clearly ready from an IQ and skill standpoint. My only concern is amount of games he'll be able to play and be effective. No matter what people say he is small as hell, and his body better be ready to take some punishment.
It's more than just which player is "best" though isn't it? It's about whether or not management believes the younger player will benefit from being in the minors more than being in the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
IMO, the only argument of there being a benefit to Johnny playing in the AHL will be that he will get top line minutes. It's a valid point, but I feel he will get top minutes on the Flames to, I don't see us as having a top line and for sure he will be in our top 9. But if it is the case that he isn't getting a ton of minutes, then its best to send him down.

I think he will make the team though and remain on it all season. He's just too good.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
IMO, the only argument of there being a benefit to Johnny playing in the AHL will be that he will get top line minutes. It's a valid point, but I feel he will get top minutes on the Flames to, I don't see us as having a top line and for sure he will be in our top 9. But if it is the case that he isn't getting a ton of minutes, then its best to send him down.

I think he will make the team though and remain on it all season. He's just too good.

The only thing that is holding me back from Johnny playing in the NHL is if he is in fact able to play a doubled schedule than what he usually does. I think he can, because at the WC, the games were every other day. Johnny should be on the Flames roster opening night. If he does make it to the NHL, back to back games should be interesting, I wonder how he'll hold up.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Well the other valid argument is that it will help him adjust to playing 80+ games a year, generally I agree with you though.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Gaudreau can most definitely make the team. But can he endure the 82 game grind, while mostly playing the Western Conference teams?

I would give Johnny hockey 15-20 games in the AHL before calling him up, this also depends if he doesn't make the team. 60 games is still a lot, it won't affect his progression at all if he is playing top minutes in the AHL anyways.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's true, but if he hits a wall he's going to hit it no matter where he's playing. The coaches on the Flames could always give him a night off if he needs it. It is going to be an adjustment for him though, I'm very curious to see how he's going to handle it. At least we know this, the Flames are going to do whatever is best for his development.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's true, but if he hits a wall he's going to hit it no matter where he's playing. The coaches on the Flames could always give him a night off if he needs it. It is going to be an adjustment for him though, I'm very curious to see how he's going to handle it. At least we know this, the Flames are going to do whatever is best for his development.
with the faster game in the NHL he is likely to hit it faster in the NHL.

Aug 3, 2010
Feel like Granlund has really presented a great argument as of last night as to why he should be ahead of almost everyone except perhaps Gaudreay and Baertschi.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Feel like Granlund has really presented a great argument as of last night as to why he should be ahead of almost everyone except perhaps Gaudreay and Baertschi.
Because he was better in 1 hockey game without much for practices after a summer off? Did you think Chuck Kobasew was better than Iginla when he led the NHL in pre-season scoring too?

What a ridiculous statement.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Because he was better in 1 hockey game without much for practices after a summer off? Did you think Chuck Kobasew was better than Iginla when he led the NHL in pre-season scoring too?

Granlund has been great all year long this is the one guy who is unbelievably underrated He came in 2nd in rookie Ppg in the ahl he averaged 2ppg at the wjc with not much help as the finnish team was weak and personally I believe that he would have stayed with the flames for longer had he not been injured

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Granlund has been great all year long this is the one guy who is unbelievably underrated He came in 2nd in rookie Ppg in the ahl he averaged 2ppg at the wjc with not much help as the finnish team was weak and personally I believe that he would have stayed with the flames for longer had he not been injured
I know all about Granlund. I have likely seen him play more than everyone else on the Flames board.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Apart from Gaudreau and Baertschi who would you put ahead of Granlund in terms of readiness though? Reinhart maybe? Thats about it though, I don't think its a stretch at all to make that statement.

Granlund also did a lot to prove himself in his stint last year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Apart from Gaudreau and Baertschi who would you put ahead of Granlund in terms of readiness though? Reinhart maybe? Thats about it though, I don't think its a stretch at all to make that statement.

Granlund also did a lot to prove himself in his stint last year.
Reinhart is better in pretty much every facet of the game and that includes how NHL ready he is.

I think Corban Knight is more NHL ready. I think Knight is more physically ready, plays a simpler game that will translate better to the NHL and is more effective both defensively and physically than Granlund.

Quite frankly I don't think Granlund is an NHL ready as people assume he is because of some good AHL numbers and a decent handful of NHL games. I also don't think his game will translate to the NHL as well as others do.

But the guy I quoted said nothing about being NHL ready, what he said made it sound like he thinks Granlund should pretty much be our top prospect and used 1 game as the reasoning. Which as I said it a ridiculous statement.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Reinhart is better in pretty much every facet of the game and that includes how NHL ready he is.

I think Corban Knight is more NHL ready. I think Knight is more physically ready, plays a simpler game that will translate better to the NHL and is more effective both defensively and physically than Granlund.

Quite frankly I don't think Granlund is an NHL ready as people assume he is because of some good AHL numbers and a decent handful of NHL games. I also don't think his game will translate to the NHL as well as others do.

But the guy I quoted said nothing about being NHL ready, what he said made it sound like he thinks Granlund should pretty much be our top prospect and used 1 game as the reasoning. Which as I said it a ridiculous statement.

Well I will have to completely disagree with you regarding Knight vs Granlund.

Fair enough, he didn't say anything about readiness but given that he mentioned our two most ready NHL players, left out a guy like Bennett and given the title of the thread we are in, I think its fair to assume he is talking about NHL readiness.

Aug 3, 2010

You assume far too much into people's comments without sitting back and thinking about context… such as the thread title which is basically all about NHL readiness which is why I had selected this thread to revive.

It's pretty clear Bennett needs more size to stick in the lineup and he can work on that.
Gaudreau… is probably closer to maxing out his growth curve and his talent will carry him over the line. The Flames will recognize that and he won't wait long in the AHL if at all.
Reinhart might (should) be ready for regular minutes but who does he knock out of the very crowded bottom six?

I feel Granlund and Baertschi will be fighting for a middle six wing spot with Jones/Setoguchi as the possible odd veteran out.

I don't see Knight sticking with this team. He'll likely make an NHL roster but it's hard to say if he'll go anywhere fast with the Flames who love to stack the bottom six with veteran FAs or older overseas PTOs as of late. I'm fine with it as it seems they're trying to keep a consistent product on the ice but it doesn't bode well for slightly older prospects/RFAs like Reinhart and Knight, and Bouma might be all the youth they want on the energy line.

Also… using the argument of 'I've seen more games' only goes so far in predicting the future. We know you watch the AHL. It doesn't mean the rest of us do not on occasion, and it certainly doesn't mean we must form the same opinion. Don Cherry watches a lot of hockey but I wouldn't want him on the Flames as a scout.
NHL scouts and journalists undoubtedly spend 20+ hours a week getting paid to watch games and follow teams… and more often than not, they're no better at prognosticating the careers of young players. Even Phaneuf was a Norris candidate once. I'm willing to wager on average and over the course of my lifetime I've followed more hockey and sports in pure hours observed and played in general than you have, but I refuse to wield my experiences as the consensus fact like you so often do. Or perhaps it's not what is said, but how it is conveyed.

Granlund is the older prospect; he has played against men and he undoubtedly should have a good showing at a tournament such as this. And it has been one meaningless prospect tournament game thus far, but he has also shown that he is doing what is expected of him since his NHL debut.
I truly feel that at this point to not have Granlund play at least another handful of games with the big club would be a waste of his current development curve and he should be given real looks at the NHL level in a middle six role sooner rather than later.

It's a different view. Take it or leave it; it doesnt really matter. It's just a game, after all.

Last edited:

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
You assume far too much into people's comments without sitting back and thinking about context… such as the thread title which is basically all about NHL readiness which is why I had selected this thread to revive.

It's pretty clear Bennett needs more size to stick in the lineup and he can work on that.
Gaudreau… is probably closer to maxing out his growth curve and his talent will carry him over the line. The Flames will recognize that and he won't wait long in the AHL if at all.
Reinhart might (should) be ready for regular minutes but who does he knock out of the very crowded bottom six?

I feel Granlund and Baertschi will be fighting for a middle six wing spot with Jones/Setoguchi as the possible odd veteran out.

I don't see Knight sticking with this team. He'll likely make an NHL roster but it's hard to say if he'll go anywhere fast with the Flames who love to stack the bottom six with veteran FAs or older overseas PTOs as of late. I'm fine with it as it seems they're trying to keep a consistent product on the ice but it doesn't bode well for slightly older prospects/RFAs like Reinhart and Knight, and Bouma might be all the youth they want on the energy line.

Also… using the argument of 'I've seen more games' only goes so far in predicting the future. We know you watch the AHL. It doesn't mean the rest of us do not on occasion, and it certainly doesn't mean we must form the same opinion. Don Cherry watches a lot of hockey but I wouldn't want him on the Flames as a scout.
NHL scouts and journalists undoubtedly spend 20+ hours a week getting paid to watch games and follow teams… and more often than not, they're no better at prognosticating the careers of young players. Even Phaneuf was a Norris candidate once. I'm willing to wager on average and over the course of my lifetime I've followed more hockey and sports in pure hours observed and played in general than you have, but I refuse to wield my experiences as the consensus fact like you so often do. Or perhaps it's not what is said, but how it is conveyed.

Granlund is the older prospect; he has played against men and he undoubtedly should have a good showing at a tournament such as this. And it has been one meaningless prospect tournament game thus far, but he has also shown that he is doing what is expected of him since his NHL debut.
I truly feel that at this point to not have Granlund play at least another handful of games with the big club would be a waste of his current development curve and he should be given real looks at the NHL level in a middle six role sooner rather than later.

It's a different view. Take it or leave it; it doesnt really matter. It's just a game, after all.

Either agree with or curious of the bolded myself. It's great to have the amount of skill, heart and work ethic that we do amongst our prospects, but frankly we have too much talent up front all vying for the same spots, and it's pretty clear that we're not only going to have to part ways with some popular players eventually (sooner rather than later?), but transitioning the right guys from Addy to the big club is shaping up to be kinda like putting a jigsaw puzzle together..

Edit: putting a 25-piece jigsaw puzzle together with 30 pieces and no border lol

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I think the answer without question is Gaudreau. The kid just oozes skill. I think the question is, who else has a chance of cracking the lineup out of camp, and I'm really feeling Granlund. I think he is a just as skilled version of his brother. He isn't as flashy as Mikael, but he has proven time and again that the talent is definitely there.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I think the question is, who else has a chance of cracking the lineup out of camp, and I'm really feeling Granlund. I think he is a just as skilled version of his brother. He isn't as flashy as Mikael, but he has proven time and again that the talent is definitely there.

Markus is definitely the better goal scorer and skater of the Granlund brothers. Some say Mikael is obviously the better playmaker, but I see Markus having 50 assist potential so that would make it a tie.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Markus is definitely the better goal scorer and skater of the Granlund brothers. Some say Mikael is obviously the better playmaker, but I see Markus having 50 assist potential so that would make it a tie.

50 assist potential?
Wow.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sven has top line talent, it's time for him to make the team.

I like what Treliving has said.
It also makes me happy Sven has been in Calgary working this entire summer. Awesome.

I think Sven makes the team, I think him along with Johnny Hockey have the best chance of making this team as kids.

I think guys like Knight would be perfect for the fourth line... But I have a hard time seeing him there this year because of this abundance of lower end veteran depth we have.

On another note, I like that Treliving was honest in saying, he can make room for a rookie with some trades if they make the team. That's awesome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad