Which rookie has the best chance to crack the Flames' lineup?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I said Maximus. I can see an opening on fourth line centre, and he's really the only guy on the list who can play that role. Corban Knight would be my second choice.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hands down Johnny Gaudreau, he was arguably the best USA forward in the WC. You can't teach the skill that he has, his IQ is off the charts.

I think Sven could at least use some time in the AHL, especially coming back from a rib injury. I want to take him slow and not rush him.

The best thing for Max and Markus is getting top line AHL minutes and maybe a few NHL call ups, much like last year.

Tyler already looks NHL ready, but one more year in the AHL with top line minutes will most certainly help his development.

Sam Bennett is a hell of a prospect, but I think he could use another year in the OHL.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Max switched to LW last year.

Yes, but I don't doubt that he could switch back if that's where the opportunity lies.

Abbotsford last year had Knight, Street, Jones, Granlund, Reinhart, Jooris and Byron all as natural centres (and I'm probably forgetting a few). I think that's the main reason he was playing wing, but I could be wrong.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Interesting most of you have Baertschi. I hope he does well, but I have a feeling he needs a little time in Adirondack after suffering from a rib injury. And I can say this over and over again, but Johnny looks ready to play in the NHL, he made a strong case at the World Championship.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Sven has the best chance. He is NHL ready, and able to play the 82 game grind, just has to fine tune his consistency. Gaudreau is a bit more of a risk. He can surely make the team, but I don't think he can play 82 games right away playing against men, especially in the West.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Sven.

He also looks like he put on some muscle/weight in the last video they showed on the Flames site. I'm rooting for the guy! Hope he turns some heads!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No I'm talking about the rib injury. Don't remember hearing about that one. Just worried he's starting to become injury prone. (I know it's early in his career)
happened in the first game of the word championships.

A broken rib is no reason to add to to him being injury prone IMO, that should be reserved for muscle/joint type injuries.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I think the logical choice is Sven. He's been to a few training camps now, and knows what he needs to do. I think the comment Treliving made about spending time in the AHL was directed at Gaudreau as Sven has already paid his dues there.

If Sven gets beaten out by a vet or Johnny, I could see him not taking it well. It did take him a month last year to get his head in the game. In the end though it's up to Bart to claim the job.

As far as being injury prone, some guys are just snake bitten. I don't think you can limit muscle/joint injuries for being injury prone. That being said I am not claiming Sven to be injury prone.

PZA*

Johnny Hockey for sure. Say what you about his size and not being NHL ready physically... his hockey IQ alone makes him a ready to go top 6 player on the Flames. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't make it on the opening day roster.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Backlund was injury prone for a while too. Sven just needs to work on his strength so his body can hold up to the NHL.

Honestly though, Sven's confidence should not be the reason we keep him up. If he can't handle criticism, or being sent down to become a more well rounded player, he's going to be a bust in the NHL. Guys need to have thick skin, because every player goes through down times in their career, and they will guaranteed get criticism from their coach, fans, and especially the media. And guys that are mentally fragile, usually cannot make it because they do not play their game because they are to worried about making a mistake. If Sven wants to make the team this year, that is up to him. I think Hartley is a good puppet master, I think he will get through to Sven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad