Which record do you think is more impressive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I'd have to go with Mario, but Tim Kerr deserves huge credit because he took a lot of batterings on the PP but was stilla ble to scoree 34 times.

Ogopogo*

reckoning said:
Scoring shorthanded goals is all well and good, but it doesn`t prove how good a penalty killer a player is. The mark of a good penalty killer is how few goals were scored against them. Getting shorthanded goals doesn`t help if you`re giving up a ton of goals.

Let`s look at how many PPG were scored against those teams when those players were on the ice:

Mario Lemieux, 1988-89 - 60
Wayne Gretzky, 1983-84 - 31
Wayne Gretzky, 1984-85 - 37

Lemieux`s season, with all those shorthanded goals, still looks less impressive than Gretzky`s.

Very good post. :)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Ogopogo said:
Very good post. :)
all it shows is that the oilers were a much better team than the '89 pens, and less penalized. you can't compare their quality of penalty killing based on TEAM numbers. it's kind of sad that you guys bring gretzky into every discussion to try and put down lemieux.

Scoot

Jun 5, 2004
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke
Mario.
Pretty much anyone with enough icetime and luck can hit 30+ PP goals.

:biglaugh: :shakehead :biglaugh:

Surely you jest ???

Scoring a powerplay goal is one HELL of a lot EASIER than scoring a short-handed goal :shakehead :madfire:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'll take Lemieux's record. I don't think it'll be broken for a long time. (Not that Kerr's will, either).

However, I will say this: when I think of the great power play forwards of all time, Tim Kerr immediately comes to mind. He was virtually unstoppable in front of the net, with his strength, hands and awesome reach. When I think of the great penalty killers of all time, Mario Lemieux is nowhere near the top.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Surely you jest ???

Scoring a powerplay goal is one HELL of a lot EASIER than scoring a short-handed goal

If Kerr's record was small potatoes and easy to do, why didn't Mario or Wayne score 34 powerplay goals?

KariyaIsGod*

If Kerr's PP goal record was so easy to come by, why don't we all care that Mario scored nearly 40% of his career goals on the powerplay.

Better yet, if it was so simple, why didn't anyone break it.

No doubt Mario's is more impressive here but let's not sell Timmy short...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Abyss said:
I'd say the 13 short handed goals. What are the SHG someone has gotten since then?
St. Louis had 8 shorties in 2003. Not that close to 13 but pretty impressive for 2003 NHL!!

chooch*

DrMoses said:
If Kerr's PP goal record was so easy to come by, why don't we all care that Mario scored nearly 40% of his career goals on the powerplay.

Better yet, if it was so simple, why didn't anyone break it.

No doubt Mario's is more impressive here but let's not sell Timmy short...

Because he was/is the best hockey player ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad